Regent Phone App

Getting geared up for Grandeur cruise in a couple of months, I found the Regent app on my phone.  I must have used it earlier this year, but the experience must have been underwhelming as I don't have good memories of using it.

Is anyone using on board these days and, if so, what are your experiences?

TIA

We had it on Grandeur earlier this year. I agree - underwhelming!  Dining menus were often missing or incomplete. Seems like there would be a lot of useful things they could add to the functionality but so far haven't.

We started to use the app on the Grandeur this spring, but the menus were so inaccurate that we gave up on it.

For example: Often the same menu was on at least part of the specialty restaurants. My first clue was when I said to my husband "Look Chartreuse has the duck/watermellon salad too!" (That whole part of Chartreuse's menu was Pacific Rim.)

28 minutes ago, Portolan said:

The best Regent phone app is to take a picture of each page of the daily bulletin and, if desired, the in-suite on-screen menus for the venues.

I save Passages every day as a .PDF so I always have it with me, and then I don't have to take the physical copies home with me. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Imagine our surprise at the beginning of our recent (July 5) Splendor cruise to learn that the App wasn't even functional. My guess is that it has something to do with Splendor's not having Starling yet, because we never had a problem on Grandeur sailings. So no saving .PDF Passages for me.

Edited by GMIAC

1 hour ago, GMIAC said:

Imagine our surprise at the beginning of our recent (July 5) Splendor cruise to learn that the App wasn't even functional. My guess is that it has something to do with Splendor's not having Starling yet, because we never had a problem on Grandeur sailings. So no saving .PDF Passages for me.

The internet guy on Explorer said it only works on Grandeur. I don't believe Starlink is the issue, but someone on Mariner, which also has Starlink, can answer that question better than I.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, RELS said:

The internet guy on Explorer said it only works on Grandeur. I don't believe Starlink is the issue, but someone on Mariner, which also has Starlink, can answer that question better than I.

I believe you. Regent onboard tech is dismal. I bitched and moaned on the mid-cruise survey, and the General Manager sought us out the next morning (!) to address our disappointment. He didn't have much more to offer than that Splendor's Internet would be upgraded in August. Didn't really help us then, but the gesture was sincere and appreciated. It's still rather untoward that there's not even an App for most of Regent's fleet. I suppose they don't see that as a priority. 

Edited by GMIAC

It mystifies me why Regent is unsuccessful in providing a simple working app for daily use by passengers.  Yes, all sorts of wonderful (future) capabilities could be provided, but most of us have a few basic things that we want to know (and won't be required to remember):

• What is on the menu at each of the dining venues today?
  • What are the times that this food & drink(s) will be available?
  • What are the scheduled events of the day and their times (from the newsletter)?
  • Deck plans would be helpful.
  • Directory of departments and important phone numbers.

Most of us geezers have a phone and are capable of using a simple app.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kane said:

It mystifies me why Regent is unsuccessful in providing a simple working app for daily use by passengers.  Yes, all sorts of wonderful (future) capabilities could be provided, but most of us have a few basic things that we want to know (and won't be required to remember):

• What is on the menu at each of the dining venues today?
  • What are the times that this food & drink(s) will be available?
  • What are the scheduled events of the day and their times (from the newsletter)?
  • Deck plans would be helpful.
  • Directory of departments and important phone numbers.

Most of us geezers have a phone and are capable of using a simple app.

And how hard is it to upload a .PDF of Passages to a working app so we can actually have it when we need it without having to drag the hard copy with us everywhere? I know, I know, First World Problem. 

Edited by GMIAC

29 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

First World Problem

If Regent wants to appeal to a younger, more active crowd (per the discussions about the July 1 changes), it will have to provide better internet on land and on board, and a fully functional app. The website (lack of) capabilities and the poor onboard delivery of internet (Starlink is necessary but not sufficient) will be a big NO sign to that crowd.

1 hour ago, GMIAC said:

And how hard is it to upload a .PDF of Passages to a working app so we can actually have it when we need it without having to drag the hard copy with us everywhere? I know, I know, First World Problem. 

Do what my wife does...shoot a picture of the daily schedule.  All she does is open her photo's and there it is....on her phone. 

11 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Do what my wife does...shoot a picture of the daily schedule.  All she does is open her photo's and there it is....on her phone. 

I use my Notes App to scan a .PDF copy of it. Not as high quality as a direct download, but beggars can't be choosers.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Earlier this year, on Explorer, I was told that the app would work on Grandeur.

Today, aboard Grandeur, after spinning my wheels and following some bad suggestions, the IT director informed me that the app isn't working right now on Androids. He tried to prove it works by showing it in operation on his iPhone. Not the most sensitive guy, eh?

Apparently they reassigned IP addresses or some such today, and that broke the Android app. So there is some hope that I will actually be able to take advantage of its limited facilities before debarking.

On 7/25/2024 at 5:48 PM, RELS said:

If Regent wants to appeal to a younger, more active crowd (per the discussions about the July 1 changes), it will have to provide better internet on land and on board, and a fully functional app. The website (lack of) capabilities and the poor onboard delivery of internet (Starlink is necessary but not sufficient) will be a big NO sign to that crowd.

Viking has a fast, well-organized and integrated website, a good app, QuietVoxes so everyone on tour can actually hear the guides, Reception staff empowered to handle simple excursion signups and cancelations, TVs that can show multiple lectures and pause and resume them, a U.S. phone number on the cruise cards that rings through to reception without demanding a credit card number and $7.95 per minute ... Of course Viking charges for almost all its excursions - but Regent is charging for more of them too.

Yet Regent claims "We attend to every detail and provide every luxurious amenity so that you can make the most of every unforgettable moment."

Regent, you're a few details and amenities short of a full pack.

Sounds like a bunch of fertilizer.  IP addresses should have no effect on the phone OS.

We disembarked Grandeur 8 days ago in NYC.  I used the app for the 16 days of the voyage on my Android phone.

The app still needs a great deal of work, but it did function to provide a few basic informational needs each day.

1. By mid-morning, it was able to provide a copy of the daily "Passages".  Hard to view a .pdf on a phone, but the information was there.

2. The menus at the various  dining venues were very basic an not up to date, but you could see the "basics".

3. The "Account" section needs a lot of work.  You could NOT see your account balance.  What was available was the excursions that you had signed-up for.  The "pain" was that you had to input your credentials every time you wanted to see the info (it did not remember who you were).

4. There is a catalog describing details of ALL excursions being provided.

5. There is a directory of telephones of ship departments and Staff.

6. The "Art Experience" - description of art around the ship.

The app needs a lot of work, but it's improved from the prior voyage we were on.

There is hope.😁