2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

11 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Well, thinking of our CC friend, Dan @graphicguy ... unless I'm mistaken, he's getting his operative procedures done around this week and wishing him a speedy, positive and good recovery so he can get back to the joy of cruising - sending positive thoughts his way.  Get well quick and trust & have faith with PT, etc. and follow the doctor's advice.

@graphicguy is incorrigible. That's all I have to say.

11 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Pictures, pictures help tell the stories of ISP ... do you have recent ones to share ?? 

Sorry, you will have to make the effort and Google IST. I was in a rush to visit as many lounges as I could and it was a very short layover to Tashkent when I last flew through IST. It is a HUGE airport and I needed to go through security again for the connecting flight. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Incidentally, the new Istanbul airport is a destination in itself. Arrive early and enjoy. The lounges serve more than just cheese and crackers. 

I'm betting they have turkey...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2024 at 8:00 AM, cruiseny4life said:

I did a mock booking. I've got to say, NCL is sure thinking their airfare is worth a lot. I'm certain we can pay a lot less on our own.

image.png.a4bf3246085c96629d49917174a4cde4.png

I just tried a mock, as well. Something is goofy with their airfare.

When I choose the airport, it says 1st guest pays $3400...2nd guest is FREE.

However, in the section where they itemize the costs of the entire trip, it says:

1st guest $3400...2nd guest $2500...total $5900.

????

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

However, in the section where they itemize the costs of the entire trip, it says:

*****????

How do airfares look for 2025 for a similar itinerary?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I did a mock booking for solo traveler for the following itineraries and these were the airfares from JFK/EWR:

$782

10 day Viva Venice to Istanbul 5/8-5/18/2026

$1718

10 day Viva Istanbul to Venice 6/5-6/15/2026

Wow that’s a considerable difference of May vs June.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Wow that’s a considerable difference of May vs June.

Yup, after Memorial Day everything takes a huge bump. 

I priced air for same dates in 2025 and it looked reasonable (VCE and IST are always high it seems) so hoping once 2026 fares are available they will be comparable. 

17 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Yup, after Memorial Day everything takes a huge bump. 

I priced air for same dates in 2025 and it looked reasonable (VCE and IST are always high it seems) so hoping once 2026 fares are available they will be comparable. 

Yes I had a feeling the airfares would be higher on the Venice-Istanbul itineraries. Istanbul is a long flight and Venice is usually more expensive than the bigger airports like Rome and Milan.

You likely noticed that for 2025 the NCL solo airfares out of NY are priced at $727 in May and $900-$972 in June. Hoping 2026 fares will adjust.

4 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

????

Just did a mock for the May Viva cruise.

Airfare for 1st passenger: $1563

Airfare for 2nd passenger: $0

Not only is the 1st passenger less than half of the June cruise, there is no charge for the 2nd passenger (as it should be). Must be a glitch for June charging two airfares.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We're on team Croatia. Just have to decide which one...

Having said that, we also wouldn't be opposed to a British Isles cruise,,,assuming they have a suitable one.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Having said that, we also wouldn't be opposed to a British Isles cruise,,,assuming they have a suitable one.

I would not mind revisiting the Shetland ponies but I won't kiss the Blarney Stone again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I would not mind revisiting the Shetland ponies but I won't kiss the Blarney Stone again.

Would You Rather?:

Kiss the Blarney Stone

Have your ankles licked by dogs (assuming they were really dogs)

• Haha 4

On 8/23/2024 at 12:05 PM, Sugar Magnolia said:

@graphicguy is incorrigible. That's all I have to say.

Sorry, you will have to make the effort and Google IST. I was in a rush to visit as many lounges as I could and it was a very short layover to Tashkent when I last flew through IST. It is a HUGE airport and I needed to go through security again for the connecting flight. 

And your point?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Your ire in our thought and prayers.  Take care of yourself, we’ll be here when you’re use up to it.

You're kind.  Thank you.

Nothing really happened, yet.  Surgery had to be pushed out because of insurance snafus.  So, I'm still hopping around.

That said, I just booked a "short flight", 7-nite cruise in December.  Bought some CFAR insurance in case things go sideways between now and then.  

The deals were too good to pass up for "end of year" cruises with the coupons NCL kept depositing in my account.  Figured a 7-niter was doable.  Plus, it's on the Getaway, that I know like the back of my hand, so I won't be wandering around lost, aimlessly. 😉

• Like 5

Not a "Schmoopie" cruise candidate, but if you're looking for something fun out of New Orleans and a deal...

December 1, 2024-Getaway-7 nites-Harvest Cay, Cozumel, Roatan

Balcony

If you have a 15% off coupon, deduct~$200-$300 (depends on if you're a solo)

If you're active mil, or a vet, deduct~$150 (that's what they deducted for me, even though it's less than 10%)

If you're solo-deduct ~$400 from the total below

If you have any Crusiefirst/Cruisenext, deduct those

I got this for under $1,000, all in, after all my deductions AND that includes Free at Sea.

STATEROOM
2 Guests
  • Balcony 
    $2,090 
    •  
    • Guest 1
      $679.25 
    • Guest 2
      $679.25 
    70% OFF 2nd Guest
    $1,358.50
FREE AT SEA PACKAGE
  • Specialty Dining 
    $39.60 
    •  
    • Per stateroom
      $39.60 
  • Open Bar 
    $305.20 
    •  
    • Per stateroom
      $305.20 

• Shore Excursions
    Included
  • WiFi
    Included
+MORE OFFERS
  • 70% OFF 2nd Guest
    Included
  • Subtotal 
    $1,703.30 
    •  
  • Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses 
    $410 
    •  
    • Guest 1
      $205 
    • Guest 2
      $205 
Total Due
$2,113.30

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1

so sorry to hear about your delay.  When you are resolved to have something difficult done, it is not helpful to have some @#$&%+ thing put it off.  It only increases the stress, even if it does let you sneak another cruise outa my beloved NOLA . Happened to D with one of his shoulder surgeries because some twit doing the prep didn’t assess his Vision because he said he was not equipped to do that.  What a butt lick. Fortunately we were able to “address” that issue quickly and it delayed it but not enough that all hs pre op tests would have to be done.   I hate, hate, hate insurance companies.  I deal with it daily because of the type of nursing I do and they are heartless.   They put the bread on my table that allows me to cruise as often as we do, but I despise how they treat patients during the worst chapter of their lives.  Sorry for the rant.   

I really like the BA class ships and I too, enjoy a ship where I feel “at home”

hopeing your delay isnt too long, and if it is too uncomfortable you can consider renting a scooter for the cruise.  BTW, if you do so, I fully e pect a ah-oogha horn and smarty pants stickers.  😱Best wishes.

14 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Nothing really happened, yet.  Surgery had to be pushed out because of insurance snafus. 

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

so sorry to hear about your delay.  When you are resolved to have something difficult done, it is not helpful to have some @#$&%+ thing put it off.  It only increases the stress, even if it does let you sneak another cruise outa my beloved NOLA . Happened to D with one of his shoulder surgeries because some twit doing the prep didn’t assess his Vision because he said he was not equipped to do that.  What a butt lick. Fortunately we were able to “address” that issue quickly and it delayed it but not enough that all hs pre op tests would have to be done.   I hate, hate, hate insurance companies.  I deal with it daily because of the type of nursing I do and they are heartless.   They put the bread on my table that allows me to cruise as often as we do, but I despise how they treat patients during the worst chapter of their lives.  Sorry for the rant.   

I really like the BA class ships and I too, enjoy a ship where I feel “at home”

hopeing your delay isnt too long, and if it is too uncomfortable you can consider renting a scooter for the cruise.  BTW, if you do so, I fully e pect a ah-oogha horn and smarty pants stickers.  😱Best wishes.

Thanks.  

Frustrating.  But, there are worse things that could happen, I suppose.

I'm able to walk around.  It hurts. But, I refuse to do the "scooter thing".  

Not really sure what happened.  Dr's office said it was insurance (Anthem) being obstinate as they would only approve 2 separate surgeries, where my surgeon said he could repair a torn muscle and replace the hip, all at the same time.  Insurance will approve two separate surgeries, which makes no sense.  Some insurance "mucky-muck" trying to show me and my Doc that they are in charge, I suppose.

Anyway, surgeon appealed.  I requested another person look at my case other than the person who said I needed two surgeries.

That's it in a nutshell.

Will have to get approvals all over again, given the blood tests, physical, etc will no longer be relevant once all the insurance "futzing" is done.  So, the clock is reset.

That said, got me a nice wooden antique cane at an antique store that I'm using.  I kind of like it as people tend to get out of my way at the grocery store. 😉

At the end of the day, it's not going to stand in my way of booking a good cruise deal.  LOL!

I do appreciate the concern and well wishes.  I'll be fine...a little slower for a bit, but fine nonetheless.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Not really sure what happened.  Dr's office said it was insurance (Anthem) being obstinate as they would only approve 2 separate surgeries, where my surgeon said he could repair a torn muscle and replace the hip, all at the same time.  Insurance will approve two separate surgeries, which makes no sense.  Some insurance "mucky-muck" trying to show me and my Doc that they are in charge, I suppose.

Anyway, surgeon appealed.  I requested another person look at my case other than the person who said I needed two surgeries.

As a former Health Insurance Claims Director for half of my career, this makes absolutely zero sense. Insurance companies will do anything to save a buck and look for ways to not pay claims. (Did I say that in public?) They can always fall back on the insurance "contract"...which almost nobody ever reads. They're certainly not in the business of unnecessarily overpaying claims.

If anything, I would think Anthem would be pushing for one combined surgical session to avoid additional OR set-up charges, duplication of supplies/equipment, etc. Sounds like this was processed by a newbie claims person...or by automated claims processing which is almost as bad. Now you're in the position of having to start from scratch. Unacceptable. And people say NCL customer service is bad.

I also sat on the Appeals Committee. Glad to see that you're appealing. Sounds like this should be a slam dunk. I'll be interested in hearing the outcome. 

For the second half of my career, I was a hospital Administrator, so I got to deal with the insurance BS from the other side of the fence. 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 4