Civitavecchia Port to Rome and Back to Civitavecchia Port

Wipammy

Hi

We've never been to Italy and are doing a btb cruise and our turnover is in Civitavecchia. Is it possible or reasonable to think we could go into Rome for the day and see a couple of sites? It sounds like you can walk from boat to train station (20+ min) and the take train to Rome and back. It also sounds like there is a shuttle bus but I am unclear where that bus takes you. Does it take you into Rome? From what I read the first shuttle goes at 930am. I know to get around once in Rome we can use the subway, most of our stops would be on line A from what the map said.

I'm just concerned it is an unreasonable thing to really do. Are we better staying on ship or exploring Civitavecchia for a few hours and then see Rome on a return trip? We hope to do a land trip to Italy in 2 years so we'd be going to Rome then. However I have a what if personality so I always am saying well what if .... I don't get back or whatever. 😂 

Any advice on this would be appreciated. This will be on a Sunday in August, so yeah there is that too. 🤣

Thanks in advance!

OK, couple cloudy issues here...

First, how long are you in port for? 5pm?

Secondly, there is a shuttle from the port to the train station. I believe its 6 euros per person. It is discussed on other threads here.

Don't know anything about a 9:30 shuttle. That makes no sense.

Your cruise line may do a bus trip to Rome. Have you looked?

The train is quite reasonable. You just need to schedule things very carefully. It is commonly recommended here that you catch the train coming back that still leaves one train departure after that you can still make the ship.

Or, also very reasonable, is a private tour. Absolutely the most efficient use of your time.

• Like 1

Our ship says 6am to 4pm.

I read about these shuttles that sit outside the port area and you can prebook them for 16 euros one way. They go between port area exit and romes train station and takes around 1h30m. The one I looked at says first one leaves at 930am.

i also understand that you can walk or take a port shuttle to the train station and go that way. I’m leaning towards this and just not worrying about any tours and just using subway to get around for a few hours and heading back.

I did speak with cruise line. They offer one shuttle to airport and one to hotel in Rome. Once onboard I will talk to shore excursions desk to see what they suggest. Otherwise I’ll use the train to Rome and subway around Rome. Yes I will pre-book our train via app.

Thanks 😊

With those hours, I would plan do do something closer to Civitavecchia.  I planned to go into Rome on a turnaround day with a 5pm departure.  But the processing of B2B passengers took much longer than I expected, so I punted on that idea.  Instead, I just explored Civitavecchia a little before returning to the ship to relax a little.

I think your ship leaves at 6pm.  New pax need to be onboard 2 hrs prior, so 4pm, but you might have until 5pm if you can take care of your paperwork before disembarking   Remind the call center that you're b2b and ask if you have the extra hour.

I've never heard of a 16E shuttle from Civi to Rome.  Can you post a link ?

At the top of this forum there's an informational post about CIVI PORT /// ROME.  The last post is from gwene with a detailed account of their recent experience to Rome..

We had a relatively short day but managed to see several major sites. We took the train from Civi to Rome SanPietro (the Vatican stop). We didn't have entry tickets so we just wandered around for an hr.  After that we walked or took 2 cabs and saw Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, Parthenon, Spanish Steps. At end we took a cab to Rome Ostiense station and caught the train back to Civi. We chose SanPietro and Ostiense as they seemed to be easy stations to navigate. They were!  We were gone for about 8hrs.  We saw a lot and it was an inexpensive day.  Maybe 15E for the train plus two 15E cab fares.  

Posted (edited)

The shuttle is offered on Viator. I saw similar ones from other  operators. 

Yes our ship leaves at 6pm and I have read on the forums that some b2b were processed the night before and some had to get off ship, process paperwork and then get back on. It seemed to be different for the different ships, not a standard procedure line wide. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I did read through the last few pages for the pinned post at the top. Lots of good information, as I often find here. 👍😊

Mapleleaves that is basically what we wanted to do. Or because it was Sunday my daughter and I were going to try and get into town as early as we could maybe get into Vatican City, see the basilica, and get something to eat and then head back. Or just get around town and take some pics and at least enjoy a gelato and people watch. And I did make note to use the smaller stations like you mentioned above!! Thanks for that info!!

I’m pretty sure I’ll use the train, it seems like a doable way to get into Rome and I have a map of the subway lines saved so getting around by that or taxi won’t be bad.

When I booked this cruise, first time to Europe on a cruise and I guess I expected tenders and I knew Venice was a hike from port to town but I didn’t realize Rome was too. 😊 

Once onboard I’ll find out what the btb process will be (we have the Venice first) and  hoping they will do it the night before or early morning. 

Rome was my last port to figure out so I think I’m going to hope for the best and at least get a gelato and a train ride. 👍😊

Thanks so much everyone! 😊

Edited by Wipammy

@Wipammy You are on the right path.  Make some plans in advance.  Maybe even some alternatives.  Then go with the flow as it unfolds on the ship.  

You are correct that the B2B process can vary with the # of B2B passengers, cruise line, ship, ports, personnel making the decisions and/or all of the above.  I've done several on a couple different lines and no two have been alike.  On my first B2B in Civitavecchia on Royal Caribbean, we only had 10 B2B passengers.  We had to meet in a lounge on turnaround day (but it wasn't until 9am, I think) and they gave us new cards and had us go to the gangway as a group where we were processed-off (using old cards) and then either processed-back-on (using new cards) or went ashore for the day.  Our choice.  On another Royal Caribbean Cruise in Ravenna, we had over 150 B2B passengers.  They had us come to a lounge at about the same time, but this time, there was a long line of people.  We worked our way into the lounge where they did their processing and gave out new cards and in-transit cards if you wanted to get off the ship. It was a much slower process.

• Like 1

We’ve done both, if you have never been to Rome,  I’d highly recommend you take the train in.   Just wandering  in the old Center is magical.  Just leave lots of time and check there are no impending train strikes.   Or get a group and book a private tour,  we used Rome Cabs and visited a few Etruscan sights, had a nice lunch and visited the castle where Tom Cruise married Katie Holmes.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2024 at 3:27 PM, Wipammy said:

Hi

We've never been to Italy and are doing a btb cruise and our turnover is in Civitavecchia. Is it possible or reasonable to think we could go into Rome for the day and see a couple of sites? It sounds like you can walk from boat to train station (20+ min) and the take train to Rome and back. It also sounds like there is a shuttle bus but I am unclear where that bus takes you. Does it take you into Rome? From what I read the first shuttle goes at 930am. I know to get around once in Rome we can use the subway, most of our stops would be on line A from what the map said.

I'm just concerned it is an unreasonable thing to really do. Are we better staying on ship or exploring Civitavecchia for a few hours and then see Rome on a return trip? We hope to do a land trip to Italy in 2 years so we'd be going to Rome then. However I have a what if personality so I always am saying well what if .... I don't get back or whatever. 😂 

Any advice on this would be appreciated. This will be on a Sunday in August, so yeah there is that too. 🤣

Thanks in advance!

HUM,  Since we have been to Rome before and will be going again in October.  I wouldn't stress over seeing it on the outbound since you are BTB and ending in Rome.  Plan to spend 2 days or so to really enjoy and relax.  It is too much to see and you will be disappointed with trying to rush from the Cruise Terminal into the city.  It take approx 90 minutes one way via taxi or any shared ride.  Enjoy your vacay!!!!