Laundromats (or lack thereof) on Sun Princess

GK95

Currently on the Sun Princess and truly shocked how they thought putting one laundry room with only 2 washers and 2 dryers on each floor would accommodate all of these passengers. All day and night you have to wait in line to wash clothes. Add to it that the machines are currently free makes it even worse. Oh and no chairs to wait in! Hope they rectify this very soon. 

IMG_4114.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Esprit said:

How many ironing boards do they have in each laundry room please?

1 iron and 1 board in each laundry room. Also ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, negn said:

Maybe hoping passengers will send their laundry out $$$

Well…..that is one of the reasons that I upgraded to a suite for our cruise in July.   Didn’t want to have to go back and forth waiting either for a machine or clothes to finish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GK95 said:

Currently on the Sun Princess and truly shocked how they thought putting one laundry room with only 2 washers and 2 dryers on each floor would accommodate all of these passengers. All day and night you have to wait in line to wash clothes. Add to it that the machines are currently free makes it even worse. Oh and no chairs to wait in! Hope they rectify this very soon. 

IMG_4114.jpeg

Yep, sad state of things here. Will be sending my laundry out for a fee. Im just so not comfortable for someone else doing my laundry, only ever used dry cleaning for dresses, shirts and suits. Don’t have another choice, not enough clean clothes for a second week 😞 

• Like 1

They couldn't even buy machines that stack on each other knowing that it would be well worth the maybe minor extra cost when floor space is a premium?

• Like 1

Considering the direction Princess is going with making everyone elite, why dedicate the space for washing machines on every deck since most cruisers will be sending in their laundry anyway. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am a bit confused here, how many machines per floor do other ships have? I though it was also 2 of each plus 1 ironing board? May be I am remembering wrong?

2 hours ago, Mike07 said:

Also, at least they have self laundry machines. HAL has done away with them.

True, but HAL has a very good laundry service at a reasonable price. Even before we became 4 star and got free laundry, we would send out bags for the laundry.  Always came back clean and pressed with no issues.  Princess' laundry fees are quite high.  We really miss having free laundry when we are on Princess. 

2 minutes ago, Daisyloo said:

True, but HAL has a very good laundry service at a reasonable price. Even before we became 4 star and got free laundry, we would send out bags for the laundry.  Always came back clean and pressed with no issues.  Princess' laundry fees are quite high.  We really miss having free laundry when we are on Princess. 

It was $30 per bag on my last HAL.... The unlimited laundry option was ridiculous to the point it would have been cheaper to buy new undershirts, underwear and socks and then throw them out everyday (single wear).

• Haha 2

A lot of other cruise lines have NO self service laundry so I am happy with any.

One nice thing I have found is that on our last few cruises, they have left the laundry open 24 hrs.

Great for me. I am an insomniac so I never have any trouble getting a machine    :O)

• Like 2

Just off Sun and our experience was that it was sheer luck as to finding an empty machine.  We found one on our first try in the afternoon on a port day but had friends report that they tried at 3:00 in the morning and there were actually people waiting for an available machine!  Agree with previous responder that it was nice to have them available and free even if it was a challenge to find one not it use.  Especially on a 14 night cruise!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nattie said:

I am a bit confused here, how many machines per floor do other ships have? I though it was also 2 of each plus 1 ironing board? May be I am remembering wrong?

I'm pretty sure Regal had three ironing boards.

No idea on the machines as I only ever ironed my shirts.

Being a man, trying to use a machine requires rocket science for me 😂

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Shippy said:

A lot of other cruise lines have NO self service laundry so I am happy with any.

One nice thing I have found is that on our last few cruises, they have left the laundry open 24 hrs.

Great for me. I am an insomniac so I never have any trouble getting a machine    :O)

Gosh! That’s another thing to check when booking a cabin - not near the laundry! 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, nattie said:

Sky Princess has at least 3 washers and 3 dryers in each and, if I’m remembering correctly, has 2 laundry rooms per floor. For half the number of guests than the Sun Princess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jadn13 said:

You just need to do laundry on off times. I sailed on the Sun for 19 days and never waited for a washer. 

Bingo 😂 I spotted washer not in use at 5am this morning (not on my deck though). Well, today is disembarkation of about 2700 passengers in Barcelona. Probably that helped. 

17 hours ago, nattie said:

I think the norm is to have four washers and four dryers per floor, maybe more. Sometimes these are in one giant laundry room, sometimes in two smaller laundry rooms. If they really only have one laundry room with only two washers and two dryers, that is not nearly enough. In fact, given the extra passengers on a ship the size of the Sun, there should be a minimum of five washers and dryers on each floor.