Drink package Help

We booked a cruise on the Prima for 2025 it is sailing out of Europe. The drinking age in Europe is 18. I know my daughter will be allowed to drink regular acholic drinks on the ship, she will be 20 years old at time of trip. Since we live in the United States they can't add the FAS drink package since the drinking age is 21 in the US. Spoke to a NCL supervisor she told me I can purchase the drink package for her at $109 per day when we get on the ship. I asked if I could speak to customer service on the ship and see if they will give her the drink package for free (I will pay the $239 for the tips) since she is of age to drink and they could not add it because we live in the US. If we would have booked through the NCL Europe site they would have given her the package for free. (but we don't live in Europe) has anyone have the FAS drink package added on once on the ship for your kid under 21?  

No, but when we sailed NCL in the US, and signed waivers for beer and wine for our 19 and 20 year olds, even though they were second on the reservation, we couldn’t even purchase corks and caps (a program back then).

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I do not know the answer wrt to the Drinks Package. The NCL alcohol policy is shown below. 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-minimum-age-purchase-andor-consumption-alcoholic-beverages

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol while in US sailings.

Parental consent is required for guests 18 to 20 to consume only beer and wine while vessels is in international waters. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. In Alaska and Hawaii waters parental consent is NOT permitted for guests 18 to 20 years old.

Europe sailing permits young adults 18 to 20 to purchase and personally consume alcohol while onboard.

Edited by BirdTravels

42 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Does your daughter have her own cabin or is she the third occupant of your cabin?

She is in the cabin with 3 people the drink package is given free to everyone in the cabin not just the first 2  

42 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

No, but when we sailed NCL in the US, and signed waivers for beer and wine for our 19 and 20 year olds, even though they were second on the reservation, we couldn’t even purchase corks and caps (a program back then).

I know that but my daughter unfortunately does not like beer or wine

12 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I do not know the answer wrt to the Drinks Package. The NCL alcohol policy is shown below. 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-minimum-age-purchase-andor-consumption-alcoholic-beverages

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol while in US sailings.

Parental consent is required for guests 18 to 20 to consume only beer and wine while vessels is in international waters. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. In Alaska and Hawaii waters parental consent is NOT permitted for guests 18 to 20 years old.

Europe sailing permits young adults 18 to 20 to purchase and personally consume alcohol while onboard.

she can drink since the drinking age is 18 in Europe but I should not have to pay for something they give for free just because we live in the US that is my issue 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkey3000 said:

If we would have booked through the NCL Europe site they would have given her the package for free.

Not helpful for your problem, but just a small correction:

FAS is not free on EU bookings. It has to be purchased and it's all or nothing. We cannot deselect any part of it.

19 minutes ago, monkey3000 said:

she can drink since the drinking age is 18 in Europe but I should not have to pay for something they give for free just because we live in the US that is my issue 

Unfortunately those are NCL’s rules. 

43 minutes ago, monkey3000 said:

She is in the cabin with 3 people the drink package is given free to everyone in the cabin not just the first 2  

Well, not in EU. Only guests 1 and 2 can BUY the FAS package here. So it wouldn't have helped you to be in EU if she's guest 3.

45 minutes ago, monkey3000 said:

You are confusing different things: the Free at Sea, the NCL drinking policy for 18-20, and US vs International.

Free at Sea that is available to those booking in the US only applies to the first 2 guests in a cabin. 3rd and 4th guest do not get these free at sea benefits, so the info you were provide is correct. I don't think 3rd/4th guests get these benefits anywhere.

Since you will be sailing in Europe, the policy states that 18-20 year olds are allowed to drink beer and wine in international waters with the parental permission. You could put that $250 towards just purchasing beer and wine as you go.

1 hour ago, vinotinto said:

Since you will be sailing in Europe, the policy states that 18-20 year olds are allowed to drink beer and wine in international waters with the parental permission. You could put that $250 towards just purchasing beer and wine as you go.

Go back and read the rules again. Your comment is not accurate.