Ovation of the Seas dining and drink package

We are heading out on Ovation of the Seas next month for Alaska.  I have looked around and not quite sure if I am fully understand the dining and drink packages.  Our planner has been less then helpful.  While I have seen some of the sales come up via the app I want to know more before purchase.  So, here it goes.  We are a family of 4 in two different cabins.  One adult in each cabin.

For the adult drink package each adult would have to order a package.  Is there a selection that the kids (teenagers) then get their package included in that purchase?

I have yet to get any information on the dining packages that I understand enough to purchase.  There look like some good options but we really want to be able to make reservations, if possible this late in the game.

Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wolfhound89 said:

Is there a selection that the kids (teenagers) then get their package included in that purchase?

I have yet to get any information on the dining packages that I understand enough to purchase.  There look like some good options but we really want to be able to make reservations, if possible this late in the game.

Each person needs to purchase a drink package- kids are not included in someone else’s package. 

The planner should list all of the specialty venues available for booking. Those rarely sell out individually. The multiple day and UDP might sell out very late but unlikely as well. Those you have to wait till on board to book specific venue/days/times. 

Edited by Biker19

Thank you Biker19 for the response.

You can see the response below and how it caused me confusion.  This is all the information that I have received to date.  It is focused on beverage.

. Yes, beverage pkgs can be purchased ahead of arrival online in the reservation and will receive a savings if pre-booked. The bev pkg will  depend on what you prefer. If the adults book a alcohol pkg the children in teh room will receive a soda pkg. Soda pkg would be a good option. It will include a few other drinks like fruit, coffees. bottle water, etc. But most likely if you will drink several sodas a day, the bev pkg will be worth. But they are trying to cut down on sharing so it's hard to not get a pkg for each person. They run specials from week to week on the onboard items, so maybe watch a week or two and see if the specials get better from week to week.  

Sorry for the follow up but does UDP stand for unlimited dining plan and the other one is a multi-day option?

Thank you.

Posted (edited)

Did that paragraph come from the actual RC website FAQ’s, because it’s all sorts of wrong.

There are 3 different beverage packages on Royal, Deluxe, which is alcohol, Refreshment, which is everything without alcohol, and soda, which is self explanatory. All of these are purchased separately, per person.

Yes, UDP is unlimited dining. Sometimes they have a 3 dinner package, and of course you can buy single specialty lunch or dinners also.

Edited by crzndeb

No.  It came from my planner.  We are not getting much help from them.  Honestly, we are getting frustrated.  The adds coming from the apt are tempting but I don't want to make a bad decision.

I am a planner and trying to get as much in order prior to departure as possible.  Would really like to make reservations at some of the restaurants early if possible. 

9 minutes ago, Wolfhound89 said:

No.  It came from my planner.  We are not getting much help from them.  Honestly, we are getting frustrated.  The adds coming from the apt are tempting but I don't want to make a bad decision.

I am a planner and trying to get as much in order prior to departure as possible.  Would really like to make reservations at some of the restaurants early if possible. 

A travel agent? They are not giving you very good info and I would be frustrated also.

I know that if you bought single specialty dining, you could pre reserve day and time. I’m not sure if that has changed. If you buy a package, you have to wait to reserve on ship.

Have you logged onto the RC website and looked at your planner there? You can reserve dining and beverage packages there on your own. You don’t need to do that through your planner or TA. I hope I understood you correctly when you said planner.

Yes.  A travel agent.  We have used them in the past for a Disney cruise for which they were extremely helpful.  Plus another trip in which they were helpful.  However, this trip it was incomplete answers or use the app.  Well, I don't find the app very useful for pre departure research and planning.  If what you are saying is true then each adult in our party of 4 (two rooms) needs to log into the website and work from there.

Thank you for the guidance.

9 minutes ago, Wolfhound89 said:

Yes.  A travel agent.  We have used them in the past for a Disney cruise for which they were extremely helpful.  Plus another trip in which they were helpful.  However, this trip it was incomplete answers or use the app.  Well, I don't find the app very useful for pre departure research and planning.  If what you are saying is true then each adult in our party of 4 (two rooms) needs to log into the website and work from there.

Thank you for the guidance.

If it’s one reservation, you should be able to handle everything for everyone. I find before the cruise, it’s much easier to work from website, and use the app after boarding. Plus the app has been super flaky lately.

We just sat down and started digging on the website.  Sooo much easier.  I don't understand why our planner didn't suggested that from the beginning.

Need to try and find the MyTime dining for my wife.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If you have one adult and one child in each cabin both adults do not have to purchase the drink package.  That is only a requirement when they are in the same cabin.  

For the kids the option is the soda package or the refreshment package.  The difference is with the RP you can get anything and everything available without alcohol and the soda package you only get what is in the gun at the bar or the larger selection from the freestyle machine.  

If you book the unlimited or the 3 meal dining there is no reservations prior to getting on the ship.  You must go to one of the specialty restaurants upon boarding and make all your reservations then. If you board early and do it right away you shouldn't have trouble getting what you want.  Or at least something close.

Alternatively, you can book and pay in advance for specific restaurants and times.  You'll pay more that way but you'll get what and when you want specifically.  

It sounds to me like your travel planner is not very familiar with Royal.  Don't worry we are here to help 🙂 

As @crzndeb said... ignore the app until you get onboard.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1

If you are new to Royal Caribbean, I would do your research through the Royal Caribbean website on a desktop, iPad, etc. Most of the information is the same, but it is a little easier to navigate the website. (Same login as your app)

I would also use Cruise Critic for your research. Use the search feature or start a new topic like this one. There are also many You Tube videos that cover almost every topic. 
As far as the drink package goes, I “think” your TA was suggesting that the 2 adults buy the Deluxe Beverage Package (alcohol) and you receive a Royal Caribbean tumbler (soda cup) with the Deluxe Package. This soda cup is for the adults to use when they want sodas, gatorades, etc out of the machines. It is not intended to be shared with any one else. But, I “think” your TA was suggesting you could just give that to your children. That is not allowed by Royal, but obviously some people get away with that. I would suggest you buy the Deluxe Refreshment for the adults and the Refreshment package for the teenagers. They can get sodas, mocktails, and coffees from the Cafe. Then each person would have their own soda cup. 
I never buy any of the Dining Packages, but my understanding is that you cannot make all of the specific reservation times until you board. (I think that is changing, but has not happened) The benefit of the package is that you are saving money, disadvantage is that you cannot pre book times. We only buy 1 or 2 Specialty Dining options pre-cruise, we just pay individually (not a package) and pick the exact restaurant and times we want. 
If you see something in your planner, excursion, drink package, etc that seems like a good price, you can always buy it and cancel if you change your mind. I think you have up until 2-3 days before your cruise to cancel. 
Happy Planning!

Thank you to everyone for your reply's.  You have provided me with answers to questions and direction on where to find my others.  I appreciate it.  Now if I could only find a forum like this for Interval International I will truly be a happy camper.