? About ppl reserving deck chairs and Obsv Lounge seats

Calicoskies1234

1 minute ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Now all you have to do is define the line between "unattended" and "attended", and then decide who is going to stare at each and every single chair for the entire 60 minute period to ensure that the chair was actually "unattended" for the ENTIRE time period. I hope they have enough crew for the needed number of chair monitors.

It's even worse if a chair is unattended for 30 minutes, the person returns for 5 minutes, then the person leaves for 40 minutes. Does the "unattended" clock reset after the person returns? 🤔

14 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Now all you have to do is define the line between "unattended" and "attended", and then decide who is going to stare at each and every single chair for the entire 60 minute period to ensure that the chair was actually "unattended" for the ENTIRE time period. I hope they have enough crew for the needed number of chair monitors.

Unattended

adjective
  1. not noticed or dealt with.
    "her behavior went unnoticed and unattended to"

Guests can report those loungers, couches, chairs, seats etc that are unattended!

25 minutes ago, Capitan Obvious said:

All they have to do is put a note or a sticker on the chair, with a time - which is what I understand other cruise lines do. If it's still there an hour later, pretty safe to assume it's unattended 'cause if the person had returned they should have taken care of the marker. No need to stare at anything.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Unattended

adjective
  1. not noticed or dealt with.
    "her behavior went unnoticed and unattended to"

Guests can report those loungers, couches, chairs, seats etc that are unattended!

Souns good, but then you are leaving the decision up to the opinions of the individual guests. However, we aren't trying to define unattended as much as we're trying to define the line betwen attended and attended. IOW, if I spend 3 seconds on the chair during the hour, is my chair "unattended"? Once a guest would report the chair, you also would then have to rely on those same guest to come back to say "nevermind my earlier complaing, the other guest came back". I don't see how this would work by farming out chair monitoring to all of the deck karens.

24 minutes ago, julig22 said:

All they have to do is put a note or a sticker on the chair, with a time - which is what I understand other cruise lines do. If it's still there an hour later, pretty safe to assume it's unattended 'cause if the person had returned they should have taken care of the marker. No need to stare at anything.

But what if they don't "take care of the marker"? What if they choose to leave it, ignore it, or if they just don't see it? What if I walk back and see a note on my chair, and I just take it and attach it to the chair next to mine...which happens to be yours. How are you going to feel when your stuff gets removed based on a note that wasn't yours?

Just far too many holes in this idea. You need to have a clear, concise, and consistent policy that is easily enforceable.

4 minutes ago, julig22 said:

OK - you get up, your chair is up for grabs. Any time. Clear, concise, consistent, easily enforceable.

Honestly? Kinda. There should be someplace I can leave my stuff if I'm actually in the pool. But I guess that doesn't actually need to be a chair. Some kind of cubbyhole situation would suffice.

And yeah, I'd like to go to the bathroom or the bar on the same deck. But I'd hope that would also go pretty quickly. But if I need to leave the general area of the chair- I've abandoned the chair and forfeited my claim to it. Whether that's a full 60 minutes, or forty minutes with a break is entirely besides the point. 

The only way I see this issue being fixed is if you got a chair(s) assigned to you like you get a table in a restaurant. Check in, you get assigned X number of chairs. If you leave, they get assigned to the next person in line.

But I can’t see that as remotely feasible or cost effective either.

1 hour ago, Capitan Obvious said:

There’s military grade software for that. It’s been around for over 15 years I know of so I’m sure there are non military versions available now. The software tracks unattended items on the security cameras and will notify when it’s been there longer than the parameter of time without moving for example.

Or the “simpler” solution is like parking enforcement, “chalk the tires” and if it’s there on your next round still you have it removed.

1 hour ago, Menocchio said:

Honestly? Kinda. There should be someplace I can leave my stuff if I'm actually in the pool. But I guess that doesn't actually need to be a chair. Some kind of cubbyhole situation would suffice.

And yeah, I'd like to go to the bathroom or the bar on the same deck. But I'd hope that would also go pretty quickly. But if I need to leave the general area of the chair- I've abandoned the chair and forfeited my claim to it. Whether that's a full 60 minutes, or forty minutes with a break is entirely besides the point. 

Um, read through. I only made that suggestion in response to a prior ridiculous comment.

Just now, EngrJones said:

Fortunately, less than 10% of cruisers are chair hogs.  Also, less than 10% of posters in these threads defend the behavior.  I think I see a connection.

Don't know about only 10% being chair hogs.  Hit the pool area at around 8:00 a.m.  Nearly all the loungers have towels on them and no people occupying them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Don't know about only 10% being chair hogs.  Hit the pool area at around 8:00 a.m.  Nearly all the loungers have towels on them and no people occupying them.

Yep.  How many chairs are there?  How many passengers on the ship?  If there are 4000 passengers and 400 chairs, the math checks out! 😎

33 minutes ago, EngrJones said:

Yep.  How many chairs are there?  How many passengers on the ship?  If there are 4000 passengers and 400 chairs, the math checks out! 😎

Not necessarily. There could be 1,000 chair hogs but the first 400 chairs were already taken, so now there are 600 chair hogs being A-holes some other place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Not necessarily. There could be 1,000 chair hogs but the first 400 chairs were already taken, so now there are 600 chair hogs being A-holes some other place.

LOL.  However, the post I responded to stated "nearly all lounges," hence <400.  😎

10 hours ago, Calicoskies1234 said:

I’ve only cruised once previously, so please excuse my asking of a silly question. In reading reviews of the Encore many ppl claim that ppl will hold seats for hours just by laying a towel there, even in Obsv Lounge. If I’m there and I don’t see anyone come in the 5-10 min I’m looking for a seat why can’t I just remove the towel or item and sit? Is this going to provoke a fist fight? If someone just went to get food/drink/restroom ok, but if they are gone long periods it seems silly no one can sit there. I’m not looking for confrontation, just fairness in everyone getting seats sometimes. 

Please...not another chair hog thread.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, hallux said:

I wouldn't remove it myself, but I'd certainly find a crewmember to assist with securing the abandoned items so I could utilize the chair.  If the person comes back and claims you took their seat - "it was empty when I sat down, maybe that crewmember knows where your towel is"...

"Maybe that crewmember knows where... no, not that guy I don't think he knows anything. But maybe the guy on his left."

I could totally see me saying this 😂😂😂

17 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Or the “simpler” solution is like parking enforcement, “chalk the tires” and if it’s there on your next round still you have it removed.

Seems simple, no?

I have my stuff on a chair...I've been gone awhile. The crew chair monitor makes a round and "chalks my tire". I come back, pick up my stuff, and leave the pool area. You come along and see the now empty lounger, you put your stuff on it, and head for the pool. Now here comes the crew chair monitor who sees the chalked chair with your stuff on it, so they remove your stuff. Your stuff goes to guest services and you lose the chair.

See the problem with "simpler"? 

I'm still waiting for an actual workable solution.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1