? About ppl reserving deck chairs and Obsv Lounge seats

Not to interrupt this thread (but I will).  This is another chair hog thread and we all agree chair hogs are bad.  However what kills me in these kinds of the people shaming chair hogs while they are chair hogs themselves.  IMHO if you leave the pool deck completely you have surrendered your chair.  I don't care if you go have lunch or go back to your cabin.  You have surrendered your chair.  If you leave the observation lounge for whatever reason you too have surrendered your chair.  You are allowed to wonder the lounge, grab a plate and go back to your seat.  This is exactly what chair hogs do.  They hoard the chairs while exploring the ship, going back to the cabin, having lunch, and expecting their chair will still be reserved for them when they get back.  If we can't agree what a chair hog is then we can't properly discuss the issue IMHO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/26/2024 at 10:12 AM, Capitan Obvious said:

Given what you claim happens, I don't know which is more strange...people allegedy doing this at the crack of dawn, or the people who are just there to witness it.

Your reply to the observations of @hallux that there are chair hogs up super early, putting down towels and then leaving, calls this “alleged” behavior. I’m not sure why anyone would question @hallux’s account, but I have witnessed the same thing. I am a very early morning walker, and am amazed at the number of towels that are put down that early, with nary a human returning during my entire walk.  Sometimes the hogs leave a book on the towel. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

IMHO if you leave the pool deck completely you have surrendered your chair.  I don't care if you go have lunch or go back to your cabin.  You have surrendered your chair.

Your opinion contradicts NCL's policy. If there was a "drink hog" thread and someone wrote "...IMHO, anyone who has more than 5 drinks per day with the PBP is a drink hog..." would that opinion mean anything? If NCL allows people to leave their chair for a certain amount of time, the person can go wherever they want to go as long as they are back in time. 

If we can't agree what a chair hog is then we can't properly discuss the issue IMHO.

It's very simple. A chair hog is someone who violates the policy. 

Get up at 6am, drop a towel, and return to the chair at 9am? = A chair hog. 

Get up at 6am, drop a towel, get a cup of coffee, and return to the chair at 6:10am? = Not a chair hog. 

Get up from a chair and sit in the hot tub that is 10 feet away for longer than the dailies state? = A chair hog. 

Get up from a chair and walk 600 feet back to your stateroom and return to the chair in less time than the dailies state? = Not a chair hog. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, reeinaz said:

The Daily on the cruise I got off Monday had a 60 minute limit. Items removed would be turned into guest services.

Posted earlier in this thread that the Joy had a message posted on the BIG VIDEO screen overlooking the main pool that 15 minutes is the limit on unattended loungers before the belongings would be removed.  They left no doubt and made NCL's policy  very visible .  I actually observed someone who had their belongings removed.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 9:10 AM, Capitan Obvious said:

Think of a small ship with only 11 guests. There are 10 chairs on the deck. As long as the number of occupied or reserved chairs is 9 or less, "chair hogs" don't exist. However, once chair #10 is occupied, guest #11 calls EVERYONE else a "chair hog"...simply because they have what he wants.

This is not how most people use the term chair hogs.  If there are 10 people sitting in those 10 chairs, the 11th is simply sad - didn't get there in time.  If a couple of those chairs are occupied only by towels for an extended period of time, the people who put those towles there are the chair hogs.  

On 7/5/2024 at 9:10 AM, Capitan Obvious said:

In the Vibe, there are no assigned/reserved chairs. Unless you've paid for a cabana, all seating is "first come, first served" yet there are NEVER "chair hogs" in the Vibe.

I've seen plenty of chair hogs in Vibe.  There was the couple who grabbed that round covered bed in the front port corner of the Encore Vibe nearly every day and then would leave it empty (except for their stuff) for hours (that bed is NOT a cabana).  There were also people who grabbed the front row along the rail facing the sun or on that windy sea day grab the seats just out of the wind and would do the same thing.   There are definitely chair hogs in Vibe. 

13 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Posted earlier in this thread that the Joy had a message posted on the BIG VIDEO screen overlooking the main pool that 15 minutes is the limit on unattended loungers before the belongings would be removed.  They left no doubt and made NCL's policy  very visible .  I actually observed someone who had their belongings removed.

As stated earlier, different ships have different time limits. That's why it is important to know what the time limit is for someone's specific cruise.

It's the TIME that people should focus on, not the distance from the chair.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Your opinion contradicts NCL's policy. If there was a "drink hog" thread and someone wrote "...IMHO, anyone who has more than 5 drinks per day with the PBP is a drink hog..." would that opinion mean anything? If NCL allows people to leave their chair for a certain amount of time, the person can go wherever they want to go as long as they are back in time. 

Get up at 6am, drop a towel, get a cup of coffee, and return to the chair at 6:10am? = Not a chair hog. 

Get up from a chair and sit in the hot tub that is 10 feet away for longer than the dailies state? = A chair hog. 

Get up from a chair and walk 600 feet back to your stateroom and return to the chair in less time than the dailies state? = Not a chair hog. 

You love to play devils advocate and live only to interpret other people's posts.  Be brave once and express your opinion without quoting someone.

I stand by all of my words and think the majority agrees.  If you leave a venue you have surrendered your chair.  Its the same philosophy in a theater.  If the entire party leaves the theater for whatever reason those chairs are fair game IMHO.  I dont see why this cannot apply for all venues.  If we were ever at a pool and someone wanted to get something we always made someone stay back.  However if you and your entire party want to go to lunch or do whatever you should not be able to save chairs with towels and books.  Its the part that no one wants to talk about.  Everyone agrees chair hogs are bad but if you cant define a chair hog that reserves a chair with a personal item while leaving a venue a chair hog then you have lost me.  If I was by the pool by myself and forgot my sunglasses I would not hoard my chair for the 20 minutes back and forth to the chair.  Its my fault and I would just grab another chair when I came back.  I hope I am not in the minority on that one. I see it as common sense and courtesy for others.   If everyone just put towels down and went all around the ship for whatever reason then everyone is a chair hog and people need to stop complaining about it.  Everyone is so entitled these days that its why everyone is a chair hog and it will never change.  If I had the best seat in the observation lounge and a friend said, come look at this piece of art in the hall.  When I got up to go look at the artwork outside the lounge, unless the chair remained empty, I would not be entitled to think I am entitled to sit in that chair again after I left and came back.  I hope I am not alone in this thinking.  We dont own any of these chairs.  We are only leasing a cabin and have access to chairs when available.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

You love to play devils advocate and live only to interpret other people's posts.

...as you interpret my post....

46 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Be brave once and express your opinion without quoting someone.

...as you quote my post...

Since you are clearly my master and commander, from this point forward, I will post in a way in which you approve. 🙄

49 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I stand by all of my words and think the majority agrees.

But NCL doesn't agree and who determines what the policy is? You, the majority, or NCL?

If NCL changed the policy to be inline with your opinion, it wouldn't bother me. I would adjust accordingly. Maybe the people who don't like the current policy should do the same.

53 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

If the entire party leaves the theater for whatever reason those chairs are fair game IMHO.  I dont see why this cannot apply for all venues.

It doesn't apply to all venues because NCL doesn't apply it to all venues. 

55 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

If we were ever at a pool and someone wanted to get something we always made someone stay back. 

If a family reunion of 25 people grabbed 25 chairs and 24 of those people went to the buffet while great-grandma stayed behind, I seriously doubt that you would have no problem seeing 24 empty chairs there.

Everyone agrees chair hogs are bad but if you cant define a chair hog that reserves a chair with a personal item while leaving a venue a chair hog then you have lost me.

Everyone can define a chair hog but not everyone will agree with your opinion. Just as your opinion of whether or not Epic is the ugliest cruise ship in existence isn't the same as mine, people will have different opinions of what a chair hog is.

At the end of the (sea) day, NCL's opinion of what people can do, where they can go, and for how long they can be gone outweighs the opinions of everyone on this forum combined.

We dont own any of these chairs.  We are only leasing a cabin and have access to chairs when available.

And NCL determines the terms for the chair usage. If NCL states that time (not distance) is the determing factor, it is what it is.

21 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Current "policy" is removal of items after a certain time. I doubt the chair hogs agree with this policy. Although I'm sure they're happy that it's rarely/barely enforced.

As you are in the "leave it and lose it immediately" category, please explain how going to the restroom, getting a drink, or taking a quick dip in the pool can possibly mean that you lose your chair?

In what surreal world does this possibly make sense?

Because it isnt your chair.  Its A chair.  I simply don't get the concept of expecting to keep a chair you aren't in.  They are meant to be sat in.  Not saved indefinitely.  

I'd have zero issue, in the bathroom scenario, with asking the person in the chair next to you to hold the chair while you use the restroom. Id expect that if I didn't return to the chair within 10 minutes that the person holding it for me would then consider it vacated.

One should not expect to go to lunch inside the ship and then get your chair back when you return.  This specifically excludes getting in line on the pool deck food line and coming back to your chair.  It does exclude getting out of your chair, getting in the on-deck food line then eating at a table for 30 minutes and expecting to get your chair back.

This could all be solved if people were generally more courteous and less selfish and self-serving. Yet most arent.  Especially those in the coveted spots next to the pool and in the shade on the main deck.

Sad actually.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

I agree, because people like caterpa think my wife should take all her stuff to the bathroom with her and lose her chair. Ridiculous.

It isnt HER chair.  That is the point.  And a point you fail to see, obviously.  

6 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

You having 5 drinks does not deprive others from getting a drink.  So this analogy falls short.

12 minutes ago, caterpa said:

You having 5 drinks does not deprive others from getting a drink.  So this analogy falls short.

By that thinking, does sitting in a lounger for 6 hours straight deprive others from a lounger? NCL allows that, too.

31 minutes ago, caterpa said:

I simply don't get the concept of expecting to keep a chair you aren't in.  They are meant to be sat in.  Not saved indefinitely.  

It isn't indefinitely. It is a set amount of time. 

36 minutes ago, caterpa said:

This could all be solved if people were generally more courteous and less selfish and self-serving. Yet most arent.

Do you feel that way about everyone or just the ones who go over the time limit?

37 minutes ago, caterpa said:

Especially those in the coveted spots next to the pool and in the shade on the main deck.

NCL doesn't differentiate one chair from another. If you want a chair next to the pool or away from the pool in the shade, NCL doesn't have a separate policy for those. 

7 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Where, exactly, is one supposed to put their shirt, towel, book, phone, sandals, etc, etc., when in the hot tub if they're not allowed to have a chair because they spent longer than the dailies 'allow' for the chair to be 'vacant'?

It's one thing, IMO, for there to simply be a towel on the chair but someone never coming to use the chair, it's something else entirely for there to be evidence that someone is there actively using the pool deck facilities but not currently occupying the chair. 

What happens if someone leaves the chair for an intended 5 minute soak in the hot tub or pool (thus leaving their stuff and intending to come back) but then ends up in an enthralling conversation with someone and they end up spending an hour?  Are they supposed to keep looking at their watch and excuse themselves every 10 minutes to go back and re-claim the chair as active?

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

Where, exactly, is one supposed to put their shirt, towel, book, phone, sandals, etc, etc., when in the hot tub if they're not allowed to have a chair because they spent longer than the dailies 'allow' for the chair to be 'vacant'?

Think of it like a parking meter. If you return before time runs out, you're fine. You can even leave again. 

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

It's one thing, IMO, for there to simply be a towel on the chair but someone never coming to use the chair, it's something else entirely for there to be evidence that someone is there actively using the pool deck facilities but not currently occupying the chair. 

Item doesn't matter. Whatever evidence that you find to be acceptable will simply be used by actual chair hogs in the future. Whether it's a towel, a shoe, a book, an old phone, an old tablet with a cracked screen, etc., a chair hog will use it. Since the time is the deciding factor, the item is irrelevant. 

20 minutes ago, hallux said:

What happens if someone leaves the chair for an intended 5 minute soak in the hot tub or pool (thus leaving their stuff and intending to come back) but then ends up in an enthralling conversation with someone and they end up spending an hour?  Are they supposed to keep looking at their watch and excuse themselves every 10 minutes to go back and re-claim the chair as active?

If not, EVERY 5 minute soak would turn into an hour-long conversation. That conversation could turn into a drink, a bite to eat, a quick trip back to the stateroom, etc.. 

The time limit covers whatever the person is doing away from the chair. If someone goes over the time limit, NCL should remove the items so that someone else can use the chair. 

1 hour ago, caterpa said:

I'd have zero issue, in the bathroom scenario, with asking the person in the chair next to you to hold the chair while you use the restroom. ... One should not expect to go to lunch inside the ship and then get your chair back when you returnThis specifically excludes getting in line on the pool deck food line and coming back to your chair It does exclude getting out of your chair, getting in the on-deck food line then eating at a table for 30 minutes and expecting to get your chair back.

If you don't understand the inherent contradiction in your statements, then there's really not much more I can say.

22 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Think of it like a parking meter. If you return before time runs out, you're fine. You can even leave again. 

I hope I never sail on a ship with you.  This is so draconian.

I'll reiterate - if I jump in the pool for 45 minutes, where am I supposed to put my stuff?  The deck is fully-occupied with chairs, where is someone ACTIVELY USING POOL FACILITIES supposed to park their belongings while in the pool or hot tub?  Then you expect them to pick up all their stuff while soaking wet to then parade around the deck looking for a chair to then sit in and dry off?

1 hour ago, caterpa said:

It isnt HER chair.  That is the point.  And a point you fail to see, obviously.  

Ok, one more. First, you give us a *rule* which, in a nutshell, is: It's not your chair, if you leave it, you lose it.

Then, you go on to give *exceptions* to this *rule* like, someone can hold your chair for you, or, you can run to the lido grill and get some food.

So, for my wife's benefit, please provide a complete list of your *exceptions* so she will know what to do the next time she's got a chair on the lido. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, hallux said:

I hope I never sail on a ship with you.  This is so draconian.

Tell it to NCL. 

Their ship, their rules. 

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

I'll reiterate - if I jump in the pool for 45 minutes, where am I supposed to put my stuff? 

You CAN put your items in a chair and leave the chair unattended.....just don't leave the chair unattended for more than NCL says that you can leave it unattended. Otherwise, your items will be taken to Guest Services and someone else will get that chair. 

15 minutes ago, hallux said:

Then you expect them to pick up all their stuff while soaking wet to then parade around the deck looking for a chair to then sit in and dry off?

No, I expect them to not leave their chair/items unattended for longer than NCL states that the chair/items can be left unattended. 

In NCL ENFORCED the current policy, the soaking wet person would have to walk to Guest Services to retrieve the items. That should be motivation enough to not leave the items unattended for longer than allowed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

No they are welcome to stay and converse as long as they want. They just can't expect to have the same chair they did when they left for the hottub. Simple. 

Those that expect otherwise are the source of the problem.   

Let me ask you this....If you got up from the hottub to use the bathroom or get food, would you expect to get your seat in the hottub back?  The seat you were just in that you enjoyed next to the rail with a great view?  

1 minute ago, caterpa said:

Let me ask you this....If you got up from the hottub to use the bathroom or get food, would you expect to get your seat in the hottub back?  The seat you were just in that you enjoyed next to the rail with a great view?  

Can someone else "hold" that spot for you? If not, why not?

23 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Ok, one more. First, you give us a *rule* which, in a nutshell, is: It's not your chair, if you leave it, you lose it.

Then, you go on to give *exceptions* to this *rule* like, someone can hold your chair for you, or, you can run to the lido grill and get some food.

So, for my wife's benefit, please provide a complete list of your *exceptions* so she will know what to do the next time she's got a chair on the lido. Thanks.

I simply expect her to be courteous and respect others desire for a poolside chair as much as she expects to have it herself.  That would solve all.issues frankly.   

But yes if it's more than 15 minutes, no matter the reason or no matter the guest next to her, I'd expect it to be available to others. 

1 minute ago, caterpa said:

But yes if it's more than 15 minutes, no matter the reason or no matter the guest next to her, I'd expect it to be available to others. 

So, now it's 15-minutes. Good grief.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Can someone else "hold" that spot for you? If not, why not?

No I don't think so.  It isn't theirs to hold. 

I think that should apply to any chair to but realize exceptions need to be made for some. 

15 minutes only bc that seems to be ncls rule. If it is 60 that's too long.  

Edited by caterpa