Sailing out of NYC

First, I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered.  Second, I'll add that I'm a native New Yorker who hasn't lived in NY (actually Brooklyn) for 50 years.... who will always be a "street smart" New Yorker.

We did cruise from NYC 25 years ago to join Family and parked at the port. A week later when we went to redeem our car, sadly it was broken in to and items stolen.  Our upcoming Bermuda sailing will be the first out of NYC since then.  So my question is...is there a parking garge at the port or will only option be (once again) parking in an open parking lot.   

Thanks in advance for your replies!🤩

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

First, I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered.  Second, I'll add that I'm a native New Yorker who hasn't lived in NY (actually Brooklyn) for 50 years.... who will always be a "street smart" New Yorker.

We did cruise from NYC 25 years ago to join Family and parked at the port. A week later when we went to redeem our car, sadly it was broken in to and items stolen.  Our upcoming Bermuda sailing will be the first out of NYC since then.  So my question is...is there a parking garge at the port or will only option be (once again) parking in an open parking lot.   

Parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (I assume that's what you're asking about since you posted on the NCL board) is on the rooves of the cruise piers. Open air but probably you won't find a more secure parking arrangement in NY City. Park and lock and the piers and parking lots are only open on days ships are in port. It would be next to impossible for any criminal activity to take place there.

FYI the two other Port of NY cruise terminals' parking arrangements are:

Brooklyn: open air surface lot but should only be accessible on cruise days

Cape Liberty (actually in Bayonne NJ): One garage and several surface lots.

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Parking at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (I assume that's what you're asking about since you posted on the NCL board) is on the rooves of the cruise piers. Open air but probably you won't find a more secure parking arrangement in NY City. Park and lock and the piers and parking lots are only open on days ships are in port. It would be next to impossible for any criminal activity to take place there.

FYI the two other Port of NY cruise terminals' parking arrangements are:

Brooklyn: open air surface lot but should only be accessible on cruise days

Cape Liberty (actually in Bayonne NJ): One garage and several surface lots.

Thanks for your reply. Feeling more confident. As for Bayonne, we've been sailing out of there  for 18 years and never gave security a thought.....especially since we parked in the garage.  

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

Hello @Loracpin2 

Thank you for your new thread. To help you out, your inquiry has been moved to the North American Homeports - East Coast Departures forum where it will be on topic. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. 

suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

since 2016 been sailing from manhattan, nj and brooklyn. never have seen nor heard of any crime in the lots, and this forum would note that well if it happened. in NJ lately they make non handicap park on the open lots but it's a mixed blessing as the line to get out of the garage isnt fun.