Queen Mary 2 Arrival in New York Delayed?

Sidekick32

Hi All,

Embarking on the QM2 tomorrow for the Boston July 4th cruise. Just received email stating QM2's arrival into NYC June 29th is delayed four hours. Anyone currently onboard that could shed some light on the issue? Medical? Propulsion? 

Thanks

Here is the info:

The captain announced around 11:15 a.m. that because of the weather we are delayed getting into NY.   That we're really only about 1.5 hours late, but because of the tides, we can't access the harbor until 4 hours late.  We did hit some rough weather along the way, but it seemed like we went 24 knots or 23 knots most of the crossing

More info:

Average speed of 23-24 is REQUIRED for 6 days crossing... 

We went about 21-22 kts for a little bit due to high winds, that put us behind schedule. 

We *could* have gone 28 kts to make up time but If the "rumour" about one of the gas turbines being INOPERABLE is true, 25kts is pretty much our top speed with no room to spare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

After doing 7 days crossing for so long, the 6 days schedule is pushing the limits for Cunard and QM2. 

The westbound crossing 2 weeks ago also suffered major delays. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NYCCRUISINGMAN said:

hi!  When I called CUNARD, six times today, I was receiving all different reasons as to why the ship is being delayed. Recently, I heard of a medical emergency.  I pray that there is no viral outbreak on this ship. The cruiseline has no right to not disclose the exact reason for such a delay.

If you read the very lively roll call thread for this cruise, which has 16 pages, you can be sure there is currently no viral outbreak on the ship. All is well. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sidekick32 said:

Thank you Kordy,

Have you been enjoying the crossing thus far?

Please read the roll call thread for this cruise which has very detailed reports on how the current cruise is going and what is enjoyable and what isn't. In fact, Joe from Florida, went above & beyond. 

But to answer your question - yes, it was very enjoyable, other than a bit of a storm on the 2nd day where the ship was rocking a little. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kordy said:

Please read the roll call thread for this cruise which has very detailed reports on how the current cruise is going and what is enjoyable and what isn't. In fact, Joe from Florida, went above & beyond. 

But to answer your question - yes, it was very enjoyable, other than a bit of a storm on the 2nd day where the ship was rocking a little. 

Glad you have had an enjoyable time on this crossing, but on other threads you talk about what you are looking forward to and what you will do on your up and coming crossing  and ask questions about various aspects of being on QM2 so you don’t give the impression you have actually sailed yet ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NYCCRUISINGMAN said:

hi!  When I called CUNARD, six times today, I was receiving all different reasons as to why the ship is being delayed. Recently, I heard of a medical emergency.  I pray that there is no viral outbreak on this ship. The cruiseline has no right to not disclose the exact reason for such a delay.

Why would a viral outbreak cause delays?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

Glad you have had an enjoyable time on this crossing, but on other threads you talk about what you are looking forward to and what you will do on your up and coming crossing  and ask questions about various aspects of being on QM2 so you don’t give the impression you have actually sailed yet ? 

I'm reading mixed messages too. I got the impression Kordy is boarding today but as he/she is giving an account of this cruise as if he/she were on it, I can't tell if it's a b2b.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NYCCRUISINGMAN said:

Cunard or any other cruise line have absolutely no obligation to explain why a ship is arriving later than scheduled, all that matters is that you depart on the scheduled day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I'm reading mixed messages too. I got the impression Kordy is boarding today but as he/she is giving an account of this cruise as if he/she were on it, I can't tell if it's a b2b.

As mentioned in my response, I was referring to the thread with Joe doing a live report. I read every message in the 16 pages of reporting, and based on that answered the question that yes - it was an enjoyable cruise.  

Sorry if it's confusing, but if you read my answer, I'm simply summarizing the 16 pages of report from Joe (and others). 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kordy said:

As mentioned in my response, I was referring to the thread with Joe doing a live report. I read every message in the 16 pages of reporting, and based on that answered the question that yes - it was an enjoyable cruise.  

Sorry if it's confusing, but if you read my answer, I'm simply summarizing the 16 pages of report from Joe (and others). 

There's no harm giving your views here, indeed the more the merrier, it's not the fastest moving forum going. My views would be very similar to yours, in terms of how things are going. However I would always be careful to distinguish between first hand experiences, which this board is very good at presenting, and those which are derived second hand. The latter can have value, particularly through the prism of experience, but it's always helpful, if not essential, to make this clear. Look at it from the perspective of someone new to Cunard, perhaps not familiar with the characters here, it's best for them to understand where you are coming from here.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Kordy said:

Not obvious so thanks for clarifying. If you are boarding today, I hope you have a super time and will tell us a bit about your experiences.🙂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RK-NC said:

Best wishes to all for a smooth embarkation today. We would enjoy reading reports/reviews from an eastbound perspective. @Kordy I see that you were active on the roll call for this crossing. Will you be posting about your experience?

Yes, I will be active and I would love to post more about my experience from June 29 for the Independence Day cruise, departing today June 29 from NYC, but I don't have a WIFI package, so it will be done when we're in the port in Canada and in Boston.

NOTE: that this is not the eastbound, the QM2 is doing a special Independence Day Cruise to Boston and Canada.

• Like 2