Eating "healthy" on CCL?

havanadaydreaming

Healthy is different for everyone, but here's my experience. 

Last July we went on an Alaskan cruise when I was a couple of weeks away from bariatric surgery.  I was under strict orders not to come back heavier than I started.  The diet my surgeon ordered was very low carb.  I basically skipped every carb-y side dish and had the meat/eggs/dairy + fruit + veg.  I will admit to a couple of bites of pastry during the week, but pretty much stuck to my low carb diet, eating till full.  I also made sure to get 20k steps each day. 

I also don't drink alcohol, never have.  I used to be a big diet soda drinker.  On this cruise I stuck to water with drink powder (crystal lite, etc)

As a very heavy woman (300lb+ 5'3") I lost 5lbs that cruise. 😁

As others have said, you have almost all the options, you can eat as "healthy" as you want! (Maybe not organic?)

• Like 4

I eat mostly vegetarian, and I love making my own burritos at Blue Iguana. I get the wheat tortilla and load it with veggies (peppers, onions, lettuce, corn salsa, tomatoes, black beans, etc). Really good and much healthier than cheeseburgers, heavily breaded chicken tenders, and french fries (not that I don't love those, too, LOL)!

For dessert, it's always easy to get some kind of fresh fruit at the buffet (oranges, apples, etc.). And the toppings bar by Blue Iguana almost always has freshly sliced watermelon!

Edited by moviegal

Carnival FINALLY has added Dinner Salads as main courses in the MDR and they are quite good.  Just stay away from the high fat dressings.  Also, the salmon and grilled chicken entrees are really good.  Stay away from the desserts.  

I have actually done pretty good on most cruises by skipping desserts at dinner, or just getting the fruit plate.  AND I always try to walk every day on the ship and get in 10k steps.  

• Like 2

On 6/29/2024 at 6:39 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

Anyone have tips on eating somewhat healthy on Carnival? 

Are buffet dishes made from scratch? 

I think im about to turn a corner on mah diet.  Growing older but not up was a lifestyle for decades but....gonna try to eat more whole foods moving forward. Fruits, veggies and stuff without preservatives and chemicals. 

That elimates foo foo drinks with soda/sugar added.  Ill stick with sipping bourbon. Mezcal. Beer.  And maybe ill finally embrace wine. 

Previous responders have provided excellent suggestions so my comments will be brief and I will try not to be repetitive. The Lido buffet has fresh salad stuff, fresh fruit and a carving station for lean meats.  Sometimes the "lean" items in the serving pans seem a little greasy to me (prepared in or with butter) but you can avoid those if necessary. Be wary of the sauses they sit in or are served with. There are whole grain breads and rolls if your diet allow.

The healthy selections in the MDR menu are generally marked as such and are prepared fresh.  You can always get healthy selections there for breakfast and dinner.  

I have found the problem with healthy eating on a cruise is not meal time but tween time.  What if you are hungary between say lunch and dinner or after dinner.  That is when the selections are in short supply.  The pizza and soft serve stations somehow don't fit a healthy need.  If you can beat those times, eating healthy on a cruise is easy.

Remember there are two parts to the health equation, diet and exercise.  The inside exercise area (cycles and weights) is open most of the day and a walking/jogging track is outside.  Personally, I enjoy the walking track early in the morning when the sun is just up and the ship is still quiet.  Others do also as it a nice way to meet with your fellow cruisers.