Canal Tours in Amsterdam

I'm looking for recommendations for a canal tour in Amsterdam.  We are a group of 8 adults travelling together. Should we book ahead, or just find on once we get of the ship?

Posted (edited)

Google private canal  or saloon boat cruises. For example, here is one company's offerings:

The Ultimate Amsterdam Canal Cruise - Relaxing 2 Hour Cruise (pureboats.com)

We used this company in Amsterdam- there were just 2 of us but we were able to gather 10 more from our roll call for the Welmoed. It was wonderful!

Luxe Salonboot Huren in Amsterdam - (rederijdejordaan.amsterdam)

Edited by TMLAalum

Daughter and a friend went to Amsterdam for a day trip a couple of weeks ago.

They had no issue booking on one of the many canal trips at the quayside as there are so many.  You just need to decide how long a tour you want.

1 hour ago, Thejuggler said:

They had no issue booking on one of the many canal trips at the quayside as there are so many.  You just need to decide how long a tour you want.

That's been our experience a well.

Posted (edited)

I very much enjoyed the Flagship boat tour.  Nice, not huge like some, open boat.  Obviously only good if it is not raining.  Very good captain commentary.  We departed from canal side by the Anne Frank house.  I would not go on one of the very long closed boats with lots of glass.  They had to seesaw back and forth to make some of the 90 degree turns at canal junctions.

We just walked up and booked it on the spot.

Edited by CaptJerry51

On 6/30/2024 at 11:58 AM, CaptJerry51 said:

I very much enjoyed the Flagship boat tour.  Nice, not huge like some, open boat. 

I agree.   We have done both and prefer the smaller boats.  The large boats (you sit in rows like a bus, likely glass covered and likely recorded commentary with headphones) are very easy to find (lots near the train station) and I suspect don't sell out. 

We went on "Floating Amsterdam" which appears similar to Flaship.  You may be sitting around the perimeter of the smaller boat facing each other on sofas, with bar service and live commentary from the captain.   These smaller boats are more expensive but worth it IMO.   

For Floating Amsterdam, we did need reservations (they were turning people away) but that may depend on the day.   Plus the smaller boats may be more difficult to find, ours really didn't have a storefront, and if their boat is currently out on a tour, you could easily walk past their dock without even knowing it. 

If you know the day you are going to be there, I would do a little research and possibly reserve, rather than walking up to the large boats, which you likely will come across first.

Have fun... Amsterdam is beautiful.

We went with Flagship. It was a nice relaxing tour. There were drinks available to buy but they weren’t pushy in the least about it. They have umbrellas if it’s wet or if it’s really hot and sunny. We had reservations at Anne Franks house so the starting point was really convenient. They have one very near Rijksmuseum too. I reserved a few days in advance when I knew the weather was going to be good.