Water

1 minute ago, Jimorel said:

Thank you, I stand corrected for my omission of the filtered pat.  We live close to Nestle as well, I have never toured the plant despite various open houses.  We also live much closer to a plant that bottles water although the name escapes me at the moment.  Their water is from our water plant, but yes, it is filtered!

I remember quite a few years ago Jay Leno had some products he was showing, and one was Mount Shasta bottled water.  A close up of the label revealed source of water as Miami Dade Municipal Water System.  I always thought that was funny!!

I have been in the Nestles plant in Houston and it is amazing. I live in San Antonio and our city water is extremely hard and tastes horrible. Niagara brand Bottled water has a bottling plant in Seguin 50 miles from us and they use the same water source as our city, but I have had people tell me it comes from Niagara Falls, LOL

I am familiar with Jay Leno's water show, what he didn't  know ( I think) that if the word Purified was on the label it was not unfiltered Miami water.

15 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Here is where IMO in inferred that the plastic plumbing didn't need chlorination.

No, the mention of plastic piping is to show that minerals are not leached from the piping system into the water, as most municipalities have.

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Not entirely true any bottled water in the US that is labeled "Purified" has gone through reverse osmosis to remove 98% of all water contaminates.

"Purified Water – Water that has been produced by distillation, deionization, reverse osmosis, or other suitable processes and that meets the definition of “purified water” in the United States Pharmacopeia."  The vast majority of water on the ship is made either by distillation or reverse osmosis.

The USP standard for "purified water" is that it can have up to 0.5ppm chloride, and 1ppm calcium, which shipboard produced water meets.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/30/2024 at 9:49 PM, terrydtx said:

All plastic bottles and containers are crushed and compressed into blocks again loaded on pallets to be recycled.

And, as we now know, most of that plastic, despite being offloaded for recycling, is not being recycled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of plastics, most bottled water is full of microplastics.  We now know that microplastics cross the blood/brain barrier and can be detected in the brain.  Nobody has a good handle on the long term effects of microplastics, but one could rationally suppose that it is not good.  Ironically, folks that have been long term users of bottled waters may have been doing themselves some harm.   One recent study, done at the University of Rhode Island, found that microplastics caused behavioral changes in mice.  Interesting stuff.  Give me tap water, with chlorine or chloramine and you keep those microplastics :).  Perhaps the best solution is to drink bottles of beer.

Hank 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And, distillation will not carry over any microplastics from the sea water, and the pore size of a reverse osmosis membrane (the size hole that allows water molecules to pass) is 1/10,000 the size of the smallest defined micro-plastic particle, so they will not pass here either.  So, the micro-plastics must come from the bottling process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jimorel said:

Also does anybody know if the collapsable water bottles or the stainless-steel bottles are best? 

I use a stainless steel water bottle. While the collapsible are convenient for travel, I avoid consuming anything from plastic when I have a choice. I'm not fanatical about it but I figure the less the better.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

I use a stainless steel water bottle. While the collapsible are convenient for travel, I avoid consuming anything from plastic when I have a choice. I'm not fanatical about it but I figure the less the better.

We only use stainless steel water bottles and take them with us everywhere. I have 2 RO systems in our house so we NEVER use plastic water bottles or drink water from plastic bottles. On the road we buy water in glass bottles. The microplastics are a real issue.

• Like 2