Radiance OTS conflict between port schedule and posted itinerary

3kidsncats

I know there are CCers who follow this kind of thing more than I do (which is almost not at all) and I’m curious as to their opinions.  It was pointed out to me by someone else on our sailing (9/27/24) that our itinerary has us in SF from 12:30pm to 8pm on Oct 1, but the Port of SF website shows ETA Oct 1, and ETD Oct 2 at 8pm with type noted as “overnight”.

Is it more likely RC has it wrong, or the port authority??  Last port update was Dec 28, 2023, and a previous update on Sept 6, 2023 had the same dates, but different times noted.  I’m actually fine with an SF overnight and am hoping the PA is correct and our itinerary will be updated.

Yes, the official itinerary has us departing the same day as arrival.  The port authority data shows an overnight docking with departure the following evening. It’s been my experience that RC doesn’t always notify passengers of changes right away, so am just wondering if there is a likelihood one way or the other.  My oldest and her husband will be heading into the city to spend some time with us (I’m originally from the Bay Area and my oldest lives in Marin) so if it’s an overnight we would take advantage of more time with friends and family.  There is no urgency in confirming, just enthusiasm at a possible longer time in that port.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Yes, the official itinerary has us departing the same day as arrival.  The port authority data shows an overnight docking with departure the following evening. It’s been my experience that RC doesn’t always notify passengers of changes right away, so am just wondering if there is a likelihood one way or the other.

If I am interpreting you original post correctly you indicated the Port of SF information as ETA and ETD which indicates to me "estimated" times of arrival and departure.  That may mean nothing more than the docking availability window for the ship at the port and not the actual times, indicating the dock space is available without conflict between those times.  Not that it is the actual ship arrival and departure times. Those times are determined by the cruise line.

And I am not trying to be contradictory or argumentative.  Just that I would rely on those times as published by the cruise line on your booking confirmation as correct.  In my experience (which has occurred on a few occasions) the cruise line notifies the passengers of itinerary and port time changes as they are implemented. If and when it would change, IMO you will receive notice directly from the cruise line and / or from your TA, if one was used, when the change is made.  At least that has been our experience.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Yes, the official itinerary has us departing the same day as arrival.  The port authority data shows an overnight docking with departure the following evening. It’s been my experience that RC doesn’t always notify passengers of changes right away, so am just wondering if there is a likelihood one way or the other.  My oldest and her husband will be heading into the city to spend some time with us (I’m originally from the Bay Area and my oldest lives in Marin) so if it’s an overnight we would take advantage of more time with friends and family.  There is no urgency in confirming, just enthusiasm at a possible longer time in that port.

While in SF, we plan to visit with our son and his GF (her BD by the way), who live in the bay area. An overnight stay would be really nice though!

6 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

While in SF, we plan to visit with our son and his GF (her BD by the way), who live in the bay area. An overnight stay would be really nice though!

Maybe it will still happen.  But I would only plan on that if RCCL indicates it, unless you don't mind missing the ship - LOL.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

Just saw this thread; looks like the Brilliance is overnight in SF a few days before this cruise:

Different ship, different itinerary.  But I can see why the OP is asking the question since the Port of SF apparently has the dock space cleared for overnight.  But, again, IMO it only is certain if RCCL says it is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If I am interpreting you original post correctly you indicated the Port of SF information as ETA and ETD which indicates to me "estimated" times of arrival and departure.  That may mean nothing more than the docking availability window for the ship at the port and not the actual times, indicating the dock space is available without conflict between those times.  Not that it is the actual ship arrival and departure times. Those times are determined by the cruise line.

And I am not trying to be contradictory or argumentative.  Just that I would rely on those times as published by the cruise line on your booking confirmation as correct.  In my experience (which has occurred on a few occasions) the cruise line notifies the passengers of itinerary and port time changes as they are implemented. If and when it would change, IMO you will receive notice directly from the cruise line and / or from your TA, if one was used, when the change is made.  At least that has been our experience.

Yes, that is correct — ETA and ETD times that correspond to the official itinerary, just the dates are not lined up.  It has been my experience that I sometimes learn about suspected changes via SM or here, before being informed by the cruise line, which is why I posed the question for people who follow port authority schedules more regularly than I do. I have zero expectation that anyone here has a definitive answer — mainly I’m just curious if the PA data is more likely, or less likely, to be accurate.  I can’t image the PA would hold a berth open for 24 hours longer than the ship is intended to be in port — and I wouldn’t want to pay port charges for it, if we weren’t in port for that extra day.  I guess I expect the Cruise line and the PA to be on the same page about how long the berth is booked for, and there isn’t a logical reason to have it held for an extra 24 hours “just in case”.  

2 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Just saw this thread; looks like the Brilliance is overnight in SF a few days before this cruise:

Yes — we were originally booked on that sailing, but switched to Radiance so some friends could join us.  It was the one part I was bummed to give up when we switched.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Maybe it will still happen.  But I would only plan on that if RCCL indicates it, unless you don't mind missing the ship - LOL.

Even if I made plans based on the PA schedule (which isn’t going to happen), I wouldn’t be so clueless as to miss the ship, lol.  The only plans I would make would be what day to tell the kids to come into the city.  The Ferry Building is walking distance from the Cruise pier, so super easy to arrange or cancel as needed.  

32 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

I can’t image the PA would hold a berth open for 24 hours longer than the ship is intended to be in port — and I wouldn’t want to pay port charges for it, if we weren’t in port for that extra day.  I guess I expect the Cruise line and the PA to be on the same page about how long the berth is booked for, and there isn’t a logical reason to have it held for an extra 24 hours “just in case”.  

I wasn't suggesting that the PA would be holding the pier open for RCCL "just in case".  Clearly RCCL will schedule arrival and departure times based on their itinerary and pay only for the time they are actually in port.

I am saying that the pier may just be available during the period you indicate due to no other ships scheduled to be in port requiring that pier at the time.  RCCL clearly books the pier arrival and departure time they need and that pier may be available beyond that as no other ships happen to be planning to be there then.  Not every pier has ships scheduled 24 / 7 - there are open times.

It's not a debate. If that is not the case and they ultimately plan to overnight there, you will clearly hear from RCCL to confirm it.  If so, that would be nice so that you can have an extended stay.  Brilliance has an itinerary that allows for that, but that is clearly indicated on their itinerary currently.  So maybe Radiance will change their current times and will do so as well.  Time will tell.

• Like 2