Lobster

40 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

I don't think they advertise that it is Maine lobster (I think the lobster in the Pinnacle, or the Morimoto lobster is advertised as Maine lobster). It is well known that the cruise lines typically use warm water lobster, farm raised. There isn't enough Maine lobster to supply all the cruise lines.

Yes — my husband described it as just that: “warm water” lobster. This was our first cruise so we didn’t know what kind of lobster is typically served on cruise ships in Alaska. He took a chance that it would be tasty, but it wasn’t. 

IIRC (from postings on prior threads), the Maine lobster and the warm-weather (spiny?) lobster, while both tagged as lobster, are two separate/distinct species, with the former head and claw (no shoulder) above the latter in quality and cost. I further recall that HAL has been accused of playing fast and loose with its Maine lobster designations.

On 8/19/2024 at 9:02 AM, Hlitner said:

Whenever we cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, we go to Kelly's Landing for dinner (pre-cruise) where I will get a 2-3 pounder!  For anyone that likes real Maine lobster and fantastic clam chowder, we suggest they try Kellys Landing (no reservations so prepare to wait).  Their lobster and chowder are as good as we get in New England (their lobster is flown in from Boston.

Hank

Oh man.. Kelly's is the best

2 hours ago, foreverdrib said:

In Liberty Station, a recently developed area near the airport.

Liberty Station was built on what was the Naval Training Center San Diego.  Hundreds of thousands of U.S. Navy Sailors went to boot camp and follow on technical schools there.  They have preserved some of the base's buildings that were built in the Southwest Style in the 1920's and 1930's.  The base closed in 1997.

Of the military services, the Navy tends to have and or/have had some greatest real estate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

It is not a restaurant perse .If we   wanted 1/2 lb lobster meat,fries & colesalw  $43 per person 

Times change. When I lived in San Diego, there was a very nice place for lobster rolls called Bite of Boston. But when it got over $10 for lunch, people just were not buying it and it went out of business. Now, you can pay $20 for a hamburger, fries and a drink at a fast food place!

• Like 1