Removal of comfort on balconies

Posted (edited)

For many of us, spending many hours relaxing on our balconies is one of the main reasons we cruise.  First footstools were removed.  Then reclining chairs were replaced.  Now loungers are being removed, even in suites costing tens of thousands of dollars.  The chairs left are uncomfortable to say the least.  We were given the reason of "safety", yet cabins on other lines have this furniture, including some cabins on Royal Caribbean (at least the loungers).  Can this decision be reconsidered?  Despite a long love of Celebrity (at Zenith level now) this change alone is honestly causing many of us to consider other lines.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

I’m mostly very happy with Celebrity.

Can you tell us why footstools and loungers are removed?  Broken windows?  Broken legs?  What is the security reason? 

Thank you.

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 12

We are very aware of the many cutbacks Celebrity has made since the Covid restart, but the removal of footstools and loungers, to be replaced by the most uncomfortable chairs, means less enjoyment for many who enjoy their balcony.  

Is there any plan to replace the “doll house aka small” chairs with something that allows one to be comfortable and enjoy their balcony?

For us, this could be the last the final deal breaker

• Like 19

We have 20 consecutive days booked next year in a Deluxe Veranda on Silhouette. Selected this category because the website description specifically points out “Veranda with lounge seating”. Can we expect lounge seating vs. the very small chairs we have seen in some social media posts which are not suitable for 2 adults who are over 6 feet tall? 

F07DB287-5866-4EBA-8987-D0CF4240F264.jpeg

• Like 9

I have read many differing answers lately about lounge chairs on balcony's.  What is the "final answer"? If you are in a Retreat Suite and have a large balcony, are loungers provided?  We plan to book a Retreat Suite, but are not interested in a balcony with 2 small uncomfortable sit-up chairs. We spend a lot of time out on the balcony.  Thank you.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

After many cruises with Celebrity, a much coveted Sunset Veranda on Celebrity Edge, became available. We pounced at the opportunity to book this stateroom as we love the traditional balcony cabins and spend much time on them. 
Unfortunately, the excitement and our hopes of spending time relaxing on this balcony, have been dashed after reading the many comments concerning the updated, uncomfortable furniture. If loungers are to be removed, could you not replace them with reclining chairs and footstools? Those provided on Celebrity Solstice, in our Aqua cabin, were more than adequate. This is unlike the small upright chairs we experienced on our Feb cruise, which certainly aren’t conducive to relaxing. To us, we cruise for relaxation, and to recharge, and this is why our balcony, and the furniture, are so important. Thank you. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Yes, good points. I'd like to hear the answer. I book certain cabins that state in the description that there would be "lounge seating".

OK, it is not the primary reason for booking certain cabins, but it is a big part of the appeal. 

• Like 3

Thanks to all who shared their feedback on the veranda furniture. We appreciate your feedback and are always committed to enhancing the guest experience – your experience.  We made some changes to the veranda furniture based on guest needs and preferences and now understand that opinions vary widely on this topic. We are actively exploring additional options to ensure the best possible experience for all our guests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laura Hodges Bethge said:

Thanks to all who shared their feedback on the veranda furniture. We appreciate your feedback and are always committed to enhancing the guest experience – your experience.  We made some changes to the veranda furniture based on guest needs and preferences and now understand that opinions vary widely on this topic. We are actively exploring additional options to ensure the best possible experience for all our guests.

What?  changes made based on guest needs and preferences?  Opinions vary widely? 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

What?  changes made based on guest needs and preferences?  Opinions vary widely? 

I didn’t get the opinions varied widely part at all.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

This whole Q&A thing is absolutely useless. She isn’t saying anything of value. I hope she’s taking notes at least. 

Plausible deniability.

• Like 5

I was really hoping for more on the answer to this question.

We have a MC SS booked for a TP in 2025. A potentially different veranda chair with no way to put my feet up is not acceptable.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Laura Hodges Bethge said:

This is not an answer.  It would be nice if you offered some clarity on some of these replies

• Like 3

6 hours ago, takemewithyou said:

We are actively exploring additional options to ensure the best possible experience for all our guests.

Would one of those options simply be to put back the furniture that used to be present on these balconies, rather than asking guests to beg their room steward for special treatment?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Shall we be looking on Ebay for thousands of slightly used deck chairs/lounges?

Too late.  I bought them all for my clubhouse pool deck.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Just a note in 2012 there was no footstool in a balcony 

we used a beach all for a footstool 😉😁

They were on concierge Solstice class balconies on every cruise we took from 2009.  This is part of our vacation comfort and if not there for our next cruise we'll say 'sayonara' to Celebrity.  I have to add that losing loungers on suite class is becoming a deal breaker for many posters on CC.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

What is the point of answering when the answer is a non-answer?  

Ms. Bethge talks of passenger preferences and differing opinions. Would ANYONE who prefers NOT to have loungers on large verandas (suite and sunset balconies) or prefers NOT to have footstools please start a separate thread.  The rest of us would love to hear from you.  Seriously. 

I do have a preference. It’s to no longer sail on X. Next 3 cruises we had a choice of an RS on X or another line.  Chose other lines.  

Edited by ggo85
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ggo85 said:

What is the point of answering when the answer is a non-answer?  

Agree. I expected an actual answer to the questions that were asked.

I’ll hope the website description for a Deluxe Veranda is not false advertising as it was pointed out to Ms. Bethge in my post and is still showing “Veranda with lounge seating” today. 

Edited by CruiseLifeIsTheBest
Typo
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, CruiseLifeIsTheBest said:

Agree. I expected an actual answer to the questions that were asked.

I’ll hope the website description for a Deluxe Veranda is not false advertising as it was pointed out to Ms. Bethge in my post and is still showing “Veranda with lounge seating” today. 

Haven’t you heard?  The new thing is for Celebrity to reinvent the meaning of words.  Did you think that lounge seating actually meant lounge seating? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Laura Hodges Bethge said:

I too wish that Ms. Bethge was a little more forthcoming in her replies, but I still appreciate that she's taking these questions at all. I agree with all of you that the changes to the balcony furniture is a downgrade from what we had before, but I think her answer - despite being cloaked in highly polished corporate speak - acknowledges that a lot of people are unhappy and that they are looking at how they can remedy it. Hopefully we'll see proof of that soon.