Royal Princess / July 20 2024 / Semi-Live Trip Report w/ Pre Cruise AK Adventure … Let’s Go!

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Fishbone! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Fishbone was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

PRE RAMBLE – Part 1

Ahoy Cruise Critic strangers! Last June, I stumbled off the Majestic Princess seeing “red” … sadly, but unequivocally, proclaiming that my cruising “eras” were officially over. “We are never EVER getting back together!”

You can read all about that incredibly COLD trip to Alaska … ‘cause I documented most of it via my first ever “Live from”:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2941403-majestic-princess-june-17-2023-semi-live-trip-report-w-pre-cruise-ak-adventure-%E2%80%A6-let%E2%80%99s-go/

Fortunately, once I defrosted, the freezer burn sub-sided, & “The Covid” wore off (all of which took like … forever & a day), I decided that maybe our foray into the frozen tundra wasn’t so terrible after all! Maybe we’d give it another go. Maybe.

I spent the next several months pulling petals off petunias. Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe …

I finalized my decision three months ago while celebrating my “Golden Jubilee”. I quickly planned our next adventure w/ stealth & precision. Operation “Frostbite” was locked & loaded before my guys grew suspicious.

Semi-live trip report from Alaska to follow. We embark on the Royal Princess on Saturday, July 20th in Whittier, Alaska, which will be preceded by another 9-days on the run through the land of the midnight sun.

May the frigid frontier have mercy on our warm souls.

• Like 6

DH and I will be on Royal out of Whittier 7/20 as well. Originally cruising on the Ruby out of San Francisco last summer but, alas, the ship hit the pier while docking and the itinerary was changed substantially so this bucket list item was put on hold. I can't wait to board (fingers crossed) this summer.

• Like 1

We did a 14-day cruise to Alaska in May on the Royal and will be returning again in August for another 14 days with the same itinerary.  Had a wonderful time, hope you will also.  Looking forward to your review --- love your humor.

• Like 2

@Fishbone I'm eagerly looking forward to your tale!  My wife and I just booked the 19 July 2025 northbound Alaska itinerary on Caribbean Princess followed by a 5-day Connoisseur cruisetour.  

Raising a glass of hot chocolate to you!

--Marne

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ninka26 said:

DH and I will be on Royal out of Whittier 7/20 as well. Originally cruising on the Ruby out of San Francisco last summer but, alas, the ship hit the pier while docking and the itinerary was changed substantially so this bucket list item was put on hold. I can't wait to board (fingers crossed) this summer.

@ninka26
Oh no! Did you stay on the Ruby & take the modified sailing? That must have been incredibly disappointing! There’s no doubt …our upcoming cruise on the Royal is going to be spectacular! See you on board! 🍾🏔️🥂

Edited by Fishbone

8 hours ago, Italy52 said:

We did a 14-day cruise to Alaska in May on the Royal and will be returning again in August for another 14 days with the same itinerary.  Had a wonderful time, hope you will also.  Looking forward to your review --- love your humor.

@Italy52

Two back-to-back sailings on the Royal in a span of four months? That’s what I call “livin’ the good life”! I’m so excited about our upcoming cruise … & little nervous too, especially after last year’s debacle!

PS: My husband doesn’t think I’m humorous. And when he finds out that I’m writing another trip review … he’s not gonna find any humor in that either! 🤪

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marne-c said:

@Fishbone I'm eagerly looking forward to your tale!  My wife and I just booked the 19 July 2025 northbound Alaska itinerary on Caribbean Princess followed by a 5-day Connoisseur cruisetour.  

Raising a glass of hot chocolate to you!

--Marne

@marne-c

The Caribbean Princess was the first Princess ship we ever sailed on & I thought she was the most elegant & beautiful ship on the high seas! I would have loved to sail to Alaska on her! Looking forward to those hot chocolates! ❤️

• Like 1

PRE RAMBLE – Part 2

Our adventure begins in six days. If you didn’t read my first “Live from” … know that we’re a traveling trio from North Florida. No, not Pensacola or Tallahassee, that’s the “Panhandle”. No, not Orlando, that’s “Central Florida”. Somewhere in-between … where gators roam wild & free.

My very laid-back husband (54) & super sassy son Colt (14) are “one & the same”: sports loving … fishing fanatics … always on the go … never on time … consistently up late … consumed by silliness. My high-strung self sometimes wonders if they walk around in a state of pure oblivion, but then I’m reminded that I have my own issues. It’s not that I don’t already know … but I certainly don’t like to be reminded that … I’m not perfect. Sigh.

The guys have been getting the house ready all week. All yard work is done & the inside is immaculate. I LOVE coming home all stinky from an exhausting vacation to a super clean house.

Our pets, including an aquatic turtle, an aquarium full of fish, & two mangy mutts have been prepped for our pending departure. The guys will walk the dogs over to my parents’ house on Wednesday. Bruno the Bear & Copper the Whopper will be well taken care of. No doubt. My parents take their Oma & Opa (grandparents) role very seriously. Well, at least my super old German mom does. A few weeks ago, she told me that they ran out of dog food while they were on dog patrol, so she thawed out two chicken cutlets & prepared them a little feast w/ brown rice & pumpkin puree. My dad thought those tender juicy cutlets were for him & when he saw her feeding them to the dogs … he was not happy.

Dad has agreed to walk over to our house on a daily basis to feed the swimmers & to check on things. Before you say “that’s really nice of him”, note that my parents live less than a block away & I have to stock my pantry full of unauthorized cookies to make it worth his while. My super old German mom doesn’t like him to eat anything that isn’t “gesund” (like kale, lentil soup, Brussel sprouts, etc), so it’s a “secret”. She’s a low-fat, low-sugar, low-sodium, organic, no food coloring or artificial flavoring kind of Frau. So the lure of ultra-processed  Nutter Butters, Pecan Sandies, & Soft-Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies … is strong! Dad, in case you’re reading this: it’s three soft-batch cookies in the microwave for 12 seconds. Don’t get caught - wipe the crumbs off your mouth. You’re welcome.

I started packing on Thursday, June 27 (exactly two weeks in advance of our departure), so we’re pretty much ready to go. We’ll spend the weekend topping off our bags & pulling ourselves together.

My husband’s charging his clippers for the guys’ haircuts. They also need a super scrub! I’ll treat myself to an at-home spa day. I’ll give myself a mani while sipping some champagne; a pedi while sipping some champagne; & color all my greys … while finishing off the bottle of champagne! Just kidding. After two sips of champagne, I’ll be three sheets to the wind.

Although we’re all a little apprehensive at the thought of returning to super cold Alaska … it’s too late to back out now!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fishbone said:

PRE RAMBLE – Part 2

Our adventure begins in six days. If you didn’t read my first “Live from” … know that we’re a traveling trio from North Florida. No, not Pensacola or Tallahassee, that’s the “Panhandle”. No, not Orlando, that’s “Central Florida”. Somewhere in-between … where gators roam wild & free.

My very laid-back husband (54) & super sassy son Colt (14) are “one & the same”: sports loving … fishing fanatics … always on the go … never on time … consistently up late … consumed by silliness. My high-strung self sometimes wonders if they walk around in a state of pure oblivion, but then I’m reminded that I have my own issues. It’s not that I don’t already know … but I certainly don’t like to be reminded that … I’m not perfect. Sigh.

The guys have been getting the house ready all week. All yard work is done & the inside is immaculate. I LOVE coming home all stinky from an exhausting vacation to a super clean house.

Our pets, including an aquatic turtle, an aquarium full of fish, & two mangy mutts have been prepped for our pending departure. The guys will walk the dogs over to my parents’ house on Wednesday. Bruno the Bear & Copper the Whopper will be well taken care of. No doubt. My parents take their Oma & Opa (grandparents) role very seriously. Well, at least my super old German mom does. A few weeks ago, she told me that they ran out of dog food while they were on dog patrol, so she thawed out two chicken cutlets & prepared them a little feast w/ brown rice & pumpkin puree. My dad thought those tender juicy cutlets were for him & when he saw her feeding them to the dogs … he was not happy.

Dad has agreed to walk over to our house on a daily basis to feed the swimmers & to check on things. Before you say “that’s really nice of him”, note that my parents live less than a block away & I have to stock my pantry full of unauthorized cookies to make it worth his while. My super old German mom doesn’t like him to eat anything that isn’t “gesund” (like kale, lentil soup, Brussel sprouts, etc), so it’s a “secret”. She’s a low-fat, low-sugar, low-sodium, organic, no food coloring or artificial flavoring kind of Frau. So the lure of ultra-processed  Nutter Butters, Pecan Sandies, & Soft-Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies … is strong! Dad, in case you’re reading this: it’s three soft-batch cookies in the microwave for 12 seconds. Don’t get caught - wipe the crumbs off your mouth. You’re welcome.

I started packing on Thursday, June 27 (exactly two weeks in advance of our departure), so we’re pretty much ready to go. We’ll spend the weekend topping off our bags & pulling ourselves together.

My husband’s charging his clippers for the guys’ haircuts. They also need a super scrub! I’ll treat myself to an at-home spa day. I’ll give myself a mani while sipping some champagne; a pedi while sipping some champagne; & color all my greys … while finishing off the bottle of champagne! Just kidding. After two sips of champagne, I’ll be three sheets to the wind.

Although we’re all a little apprehensive at the thought of returning to super cold Alaska … it’s too late to back out now!

since it hasn't been posted, I guess I'm the only one 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Fishbone said:

@ninka26
Oh no! Did you stay on the Ruby & take the modified sailing? That must have been incredibly disappointing! There’s no doubt …our upcoming cruise on the Royal is going to be spectacular! See you on board! 🍾🏔️🥂

No, we opted to take the 50% refund and 50% FCC. We were also able to submit (and were paid) for our flights and a few other incidentals by Princess. With that, we were able to book the 7/20 cruise AND spend 5 days in Anchorage with a bunch of great excursions AND new flights, so I'm happy! Can't wait for this adventure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fishbone said:

PRE RAMBLE – Part 2

Do you know if there is a meet and greet on the ship? I have a feeling you and I would get along nicely!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tyskie said:

@Fishbone

Loved your last "Live From........"

Also from  NE FL - but Coastal

Can't wait for your adventures!

Have a great time! 🎣

@Tyskie

Thanks so much! The guys have assembled all their fishing gear! Fortunately, it looks like it will be a bit warmer this year! 🎣🌞

19 hours ago, ninka26 said:

No, we opted to take the 50% refund and 50% FCC. We were also able to submit (and were paid) for our flights and a few other incidentals by Princess. With that, we were able to book the 7/20 cruise AND spend 5 days in Anchorage with a bunch of great excursions AND new flights, so I'm happy! Can't wait for this adventure!

@ninka26

That sounds like a fair deal! Really glad it worked out! We are going to have a spectacular cruise! 🚢

19 hours ago, ninka26 said:

Do you know if there is a meet and greet on the ship? I have a feeling you and I would get along nicely!

@ninka26

In all my cruises, I’ve never been to a meet & greet, so I’m not really sure how it works, but I’ll keep an eye out for sure! 👍 

PRE RAMBLE – Part 3

This morning, I replaced the batteries in our AirTags & placed them in our bags. Everything’s zipped up & ready to go! I think we’re all set.

Here’s where we’ll be counting sheep in the days ahead:

1.        Thu July 11: Flight / Anchorage

2.        Fri July 12: Anchorage

3.        Sat July 13: Seward

4.        Sun July 14: Seward

5.        Mon July 15: Soldotna

6.        Tue July 16: Homer

7.        Wed July 17: Homer / Seldovia

8.        Thu July 18: Anchorage

9.        Fri July 19: Anchorage

10.      Sat July 20: Whittier – Royal Princess Embarkation

11.      Sun July 21: Hubbard Glacier

12.      Mon July 22: Glacier Bay

13.      Tue: July 23: Hoonah (Icy Strait Point)

14.      Wed: July 24: Juneau

15.      Thu: July 25: Ketchikan

16.      Fri: July 26: Gulf of Alaska

17.      Sat: July 27: Vancouver - Royal Princess Debarkation > Seattle

18.      Sun: July 28: Seattle

19.      Mon: July 29: Flight / Home Sweet Home

We’re re-using a large portion of our 2023 itinerary. We’ve made a few adjustments – mostly eliminating some of the “hells to the no”, but we’ve added lots of new things too.

We're also steadfast in our resolve to stay healthy! And warm. Our 2024 Alaskan vacation mantra: HEALTHY & WARM.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fishbone said:

We're also steadfast in our resolve to stay healthy! And warm. Our 2024 Alaskan vacation mantra: HEALTHY & WARM.

I hope you invested in some warmer clothes and more layers!  I know many Floridians go "thrift shopping" for wintery clothes for their Alaskan adventure.

YES, healthy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tyskie said:

I hope you invested in some warmer clothes and more layers!  I know many Floridians go "thrift shopping" for wintery clothes for their Alaskan adventure.

YES, healthy!

@Tyskie

I sure hope so! We’ve got double the cold weather gear this year! Long johns, long sleeved shirts, sweatshirts, mittens, gloves, scarves, neck gaiters, ear covers, knit hats, rain coats, rain pants, & thick fuzzy socks! We even waterproofed our shoes! 🥶🥶🥶

• Like 1

We survived the weekend, but not without a few snafus!

During the pandemic, I worked from home. In my pajamas. I’m not stylish enough to wear earrings w/ pjs, but I guess the lack of doing so caused the two little holes in my ears to seal shut. Not sure why, considering that I got them pierced as a teenager. For some unknown reason, I thought it would be a good idea to just force the posts through those sealed little holes in my lobes. That didn’t work out so well & now my ears feel like Mike Tyson just took a bite out of each one of them! Sigh.

To make matters worse, I sent the guys out to do some last minute shopping. I was very clear. In addition to a few minor items, my husband was to buy himself a pair of shoes to wear to dinner. His neon green tennis shoes were not going to work. He needed a pair of casual brown or black loafers that would look good w/ khaki pants, a shirt, & a tie. I know that English is not my first language, but the ORANGE ADIDAS ADIZERO TENNIS SHOES that he came home w/ are beyond ridiculous! I was furious. The guys just looked at ME like I was the crazy one. “You don’t like them, mom?” asked Colt. “They were on sale, we thought you’d appreciate that.” Fortunately for them, my ears were throbbing & thus I simply stomped away. As I was icing my ears, I heard my husband whisper: “It’s probably not a good idea to tell her about our new Go Pro”. Probably not. Sigh.

• Haha 3

Have a wonderful trip!  I know I will have a wonderful time reading your reports!  FYI - years ago I stopped wearing earrings and one of my holes closed up.  I had to go and have it repierced.  Now I mostly don't wear earrings but put some in every several days.  I either just put them in for a minute or actually wear them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fishbone said:

We survived the weekend, but not without a few snafus!

During the pandemic, I worked from home. In my pajamas. I’m not stylish enough to wear earrings w/ pjs, but I guess the lack of doing so caused the two little holes in my ears to seal shut. Not sure why, considering that I got them pierced as a teenager. For some unknown reason, I thought it would be a good idea to just force the posts through those sealed little holes in my lobes. That didn’t work out so well & now my ears feel like Mike Tyson just took a bite out of each one of them! Sigh.

This happened to me. I forced those earring studs right on through, no blood thank goodness, but they were definitely sore for a few days. Good news is that after a couple of days, the ache disappeared.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dickinson said:

Have a wonderful trip!  I know I will have a wonderful time reading your reports!  FYI - years ago I stopped wearing earrings and one of my holes closed up.  I had to go and have it repierced.  Now I mostly don't wear earrings but put some in every several days.  I either just put them in for a minute or actually wear them.  

@dickinson

Thank you so much! We are very excited!

I never would have thought my little ear piercings would seal shut & I definitely didn’t think forcing them back open would hurt this much! Lesson learned! 

5 hours ago, ninka26 said:

This happened to me. I forced those earring studs right on through, no blood thank goodness, but they were definitely sore for a few days. Good news is that after a couple of days, the ache disappeared.  

@ninka26

I’m glad that I’m not the only one that this has happened to! I guess it could be worse. Years ago I colored my hair the day before a cruise. Instead of light brown … it turned bright yellow. Sigh. 

@FishboneMy ear piercing holes start to close up within a week if I don't wear earrings and yes forcing earrings in them does hurt a lot.  The few times I have done that, I use peroxide on them a few times a day and the soreness goes away faster.  Who would have thought small holes in ones earlobes could hurt so much.  And @ninka26I used to color my hair a lighter blonde than it naturally was, just leave it gray now, and I once came out with orange hair and another time greenish gray.  My 8 year old son got a real kick at of that.  I loved your last review @Fishboneso am looking forward to this one.  Thanks.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DavidsNana said:

@FishboneMy ear piercing holes start to close up within a week if I don't wear earrings and yes forcing earrings in them does hurt a lot.  The few times I have done that, I use peroxide on them a few times a day and the soreness goes away faster.  Who would have thought small holes in ones earlobes could hurt so much.  And @ninka26I used to color my hair a lighter blonde than it naturally was, just leave it gray now, and I once came out with orange hair and another time greenish gray.  My 8 year old son got a real kick at of that.  I loved your last review @Fishboneso am looking forward to this one.  Thanks.

@DavidsNana

I learned my lesson with coloring my hair! Never again the day before! At least a week so there’s time to fix any mishaps!

My son is a year older & thus much sassier & my husband is a year older & thus much more immature, so this adventure is sure to be filled with … shenanigans! 😫

• Like 1