Maui Pineapple Farm Tour

mdj59

We are looking to do the Maui Pineapple Farm Tour in Haliimaile. The tour states that every guest will receive an “airport ready” pineapple to take home. Will the ship even allow us to bring a pineapple aboard?

Mahalo!

Some will say yes, some will say no. I don't know the official policy, but when we tendered in Lahaina in 2019 I brought back four kinds of poke for my parents and no one batted an eye.

16 minutes ago, mdj59 said:

We are looking to do the Maui Pineapple Farm Tour in Haliimaile. The tour states that every guest will receive an “airport ready” pineapple to take home. Will the ship even allow us to bring a pineapple aboard?

Mahalo!

Most likely you'll be fine. The pineapples they are talking about, which are exempt from the agricultural screening at the airport which is what they are referencing, come in their own special box/carrying case and are the same ones you can buy at most gift shops around the Hawaiian Islands. There is however a good chance your "Maui" pineapple came from Oahu. The irony of the whole thing is that pineapples aren't even indigenous to the Hawaiian Islands-- we can thank the Dole Company for that. 

A lot of cruise ships do ban fruit from coming on board but you might have a leg to stand on since these particular pineapples meet the agricultural standards to be brought to the mainland by air. It will depend on your ship and I would speak with the officer at the gangway when disembarking that day for clarification. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2024 at 8:02 AM, mdj59 said:

Mahalo!

As you may have noted, the bottom line is that their "airport ready" pineapple is going to cost you $75 per person.  Sorry, but there isn't a pineapple anywhere that is worth that much.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

As you may have noted, the bottom line is that their "airport ready" pineapple is going to cost you $75 per person.  Sorry, but there isn't a pineapple anywhere that is worth that much.

The $75 per person is for the 90 minute tour of the pineapple farm. The pineapple is included, so not a separate purchase.

On 7/5/2024 at 1:21 AM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Hi there- I know this is off topic, but just checking in to see you how you are faring with the new crater fire- the Ariel’s from pukalani are terrifying given the tragic events last August. 

4 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Hi there- I know this is off topic, but just checking in to see you how you are faring with the new crater fire- the Ariel’s from pukalani are terrifying given the tragic events last August. 

Mahalo for your concern.  All is OK at our end.  The fire is up around the 7,000 foot level from what we are told, and that won't affect us.

What will affect us is the "Public Safety Power Shutoff" just recently announced by Hawaiian Electric.  We are in one of the areas shown on their maps.  Understand the reasoning, but hardly looking forward to it.  Paradise is not without a price...

Hope this isn't too off topic ---  I'm exploring a-la-carte alternatives (for cost reasons) to buying the cruise line's Pineapple Farm Tour from Kahului cruise port. The cruise line tour price (which is high) includes transportation to and from Kahului cruise port and the farm entry ticket. I'd buy a ticket directly from the Farm and travel there on my own if it's feasible, not too inconvenient, and not crazy expensive.  Are there taxis and and independent shuttle buses from the port to the farm? 

3 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Hope this isn't too off topic ---  I'm exploring a-la-carte alternatives (for cost reasons) to buying the cruise line's Pineapple Farm Tour from Kahului cruise port. The cruise line tour price (which is high) includes transportation to and from Kahului cruise port and the farm entry ticket. I'd buy a ticket directly from the Farm and travel there on my own if it's feasible, not too inconvenient, and not crazy expensive.  Are there taxis and and independent shuttle buses from the port to the farm? 

Maybe there..... it is getting back that would be tricky.

4 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Possibly you can arrange an uber or taxi for the round trip.  In many locations Uber does let you arrange transportation in advance.  There is a small fee but it is worth it to us to not worry about a ride.  JMO. Cherie

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Why is that?

Once you get off the beaten path in Maui Ubers and taxis are hard to come by. You could ask the farm to call a taxi for you but it could take a while. You could also have a taxi wait for you and pay a waiting fee which would be by the hour. 

34 minutes ago, cccole said:

Possibly you can arrange an uber or taxi for the round trip.  In many locations Uber does let you arrange transportation in advance.

Ubers are going to be few and far between in this area of Maui. Pretty much the only spots in Maui they are regularly available is Kapalua down to Wailea and then near the airport in Kahului. Other than that its a craps shoot. 

• Like 1

@princeton123211  Thank you.  Just thought is was worth a try to see if a prearranged Uber is possible, not just trying to arrange when you need it.  In Kohala, Big Island,  we have this problem and sometimes just arrange a round trip with a taxi.   Cherie

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Why is that?

The pineapple tour is up in Makawao, Upcountry Maui. This is a rural area, not urban. Ubers and taxis are not an every day thing.

21 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

The pineapple tour is up in Makawao, Upcountry Maui. This is a rural area, not urban. Ubers and taxis are not an every day thing.

You should consider renting a car.  Then check out the pineapple tour and everything else Upcountry has to offer.  Good roads,  Beautiful scenery.  Not too far away, etc.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Makawao is amazing.  If you want to go to/from try the Uber apps or taxi for roundtrip.  Agree with Silver Sweethearts that a rental car would be great.  We enjoyed horseback riding there several years ago but I do not think it is currently offered.  It doesn't cost anything to check out your transportation options.  Also, on the roll call for your cruise you might find others willing to share the cost of a rental car or private transportation.  Cherie 

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Also, if you consider a car rental you might check out Turo car rental.  I think that they deliver the car to you and pick it up when you are finished.   Our son, who lives on Hawaii, uses Turo when traveling to other islands.   Just another suggestion.  Cherie

Edited by cccole