Destination Highlight: Greenlandic Food and Beer Qaqortoq, Greenland

Anybody ever done this excursion? Here’s the description from the Celebrity website. 

Take a short walk from the pier to a quaint Qaqortoq, where a tasting menu featuring local cuisine awaits. You'll have the chance to sample reindeer, musk ox, dried fish, whale and seal, all prepared by the chef's expert hand. We’ve booked it but was wondering if it’s worth it or can just go to the place on our own without paying cruise ship markup. 

On 7/3/2024 at 7:03 PM, kasowell2 said:

Does anyone know the name of the place that hosts this excursion. Not too concerned about the tasting menu but would like to try the beer and some food

Tasermiut

On 7/3/2024 at 10:03 PM, kasowell2 said:

Does anyone know the name of the place that hosts this excursion. Not too concerned about the tasting menu but would like to try the beer and some food

I was really asking if anyone knew the venue such as restaurant or something like that where this excursion is held

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2024 at 7:48 PM, Alberta Quilter said:

The Tasermiut excursion is held at the Qaqortoq community hall according to their website.  I’ll try to remember to report back in a few weeks, when I go.

I was just wondering whether you ended up doing the food and beer tour in Qaqortuq.  If so, what did you think?  We are on a HAL cruise that goes there in 2025 and trying to get ideas for excursions.  This one intrigued us. We couldn't book this early according to their website but would make a note to contact them in the spring.

Sorry, I completely forgot to report back.  The excursion was just okay.  It was less than an hour.  We met on shore, of course, and walked about ten minutes (flat, level walking) to the hall where the cold food was already laid out.  I'll post some pictures when I get to my phone.  There was shrimp (which had to be completely peeled/deheaded), king crab legs, various dried fish (that were really tough to eat - think beef jerky but harder and saltier), marinated whale, muktuk, a variety of pickles/preserves, bread & salad.  For the hot food, there was lamb, in a red wine sauce, that was amazingly good.  I don't actually like lamb but went back for seconds. it was that good!  It did not have that gamey taste.  There was cauliflower, too, and, IIRC lamb meatballs.  Oh, there was also a soup (I didn't have any so can't comment on that).

For beverages, there was beer, water and pop.

All in all, we were done in half an hour after arrival.  We could then leave to make our own way back to the tender pier or do whatever else we wanted.  

I thought it was expensive for what we got but food there is extremely expensive so perhaps I'm not being fair.  I didn't hear how others enjoyed the HAL tour, which was $50 more. To give you some perspective on the prices, I bought a postage stamp to mail a post card back to Canada.  It cost $5US!!  A teeshirt was US$50.  Needless to say, other than some postcards and the stamp, I didn't spend any money.

I'm glad I did it but I don't need to do it again (and I did book another cruise for 2026 to Greenland/Iceland).

Oh, I would recommend that you take a small amount of Danish Krone and Icelandic Krona cash with you for incidentals.  I wish I had when my two travel cards stopped working!