Silver Wind Veranda vs Vista

tulok

We have booked a classic veranda on the Wind for Northern Europe CPH-DUB on June 9. We have friends that decided to go with us but they believe the veranda will be of no use as it will be cold and it is a good savings to take a vista suite. Then I am thinking they have the same cruise the end of July so maybe it would be warmer then.  I would love to hear the experts comments. Deck 4 are the only ones left on both dates.

We were on the Explorer in the Arctic and an Australian Expedition in the Antarctic. both had a "french" balcony. So no use trying to sit out on it. But opening the door allowed much better views of the wildlife etc and way better photos. We were glad we had our little balcony.

• Thanks 1

I always go for the Verandah but mainly because I wouldn't like to feel claustrophobic in a standard Vista.

Do I use it all weathers? Usually 🙂 

Would I cruise without one? Debatable, but probably not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We used ours on Wind when we sailed to North Cape in June 2017. Not actually at NC because it was trying to snow, but some days were hot & sunny.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tulok said:

We have booked a classic veranda on the Wind for Northern Europe CPH-DUB on June 9. We have friends that decided to go with us but they believe the veranda will be of no use as it will be cold and it is a good savings to take a vista suite. Then I am thinking they have the same cruise the end of July so maybe it would be warmer then.  I would love to hear the experts comments. Deck 4 are the only ones left on both dates.

I just got off the Dawn, Oslo to Copenhagen from June 15-29 going up to North Cape. I would not call any of our weather cold, except perhaps going up to Mt Dalsnibba in a cold rain. I was in a Vista suite, but many of the people I talked with made use of their balconies. There were times I wouldn’t have minded one myself, but I considered even the Vista suite a stretch. 

6 hours ago, tulok said:

I just disembarked Silver Wind in Svalbard last week.  I had booked a Vista suite and would have been fine in it.  The other members of our group who remained on deck 4 were perfectly happy.  However, I eventually decided to upgrade to a veranda suite.  Too cold to dry your washing, but I did like opening the door for some fresh air, even when pretty cool.  The main benefit is to hang out on the balcony when a polar bear is sighted on your side of the ship.  Or just generally standing out there with my binoculars when we were anchored or churning through an ice field.  The robe and slippers came in handy some mornings!  I definitely decided the extra charge was worth it for access to scenery.  But as I said, travelling companions on deck 4 did not have a problem at all.  They went up to the various outside decks when a polar bear was seen, or when traversing the ice floes.  Sometimes there is a limit to the budget, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

We had a Vista Suite on the Wind for our last (hot weather) cruise and much preferred it to the Verandas we've had in the past on other ships.  We initially chose it to prevent Amazonian bugs flying in and to leaven the waves in mid-Atlantic.  It turned out neither precaution was necessary yet we still made the right decision.  To begin with Vista Suites have more interior space because the verandas cut into the interior space on other suites.  Deck 4 is beautifully quiet.  Personally we dislike the verandas which are really just cramped and stark tin boxes.  It was simple to access outdoor space by using the stairs or elevators.

The only real practical advantage I can discern for the Verandas is if the ship is full there might be nowhere to sit outside, especially if you avoid the pool deck as we do.  The Seabourn fleet has far better layouts in this regard.   

We were given a Deck 8 Veranda Suite on the Wind for one night when our Vista Suite developed a bad creaky rattle and we were glad to get back down there when they fixed it.  Interestingly, all the most experienced and widely-travelled passengers we encountered in the bars or lounges turned out to be residents of Deck 4.

Edited by Fletcher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has given us much to think about. I am glad to hear deck 4 was quiet as that was my major concern. Talking with our friends and we would like to be near them, we will move to late July and take a Vista. Cabin 419 looks good for us. It’s been a while since we haven’t had a balcony but I think for only 9 days and a cooler climate we will go with it. And I am sure the extra 3500. will be great for shopping in Ireland. 😜

Waiting for tomorrow will give us some more time to think about it.

I disembarked Silver Wind two days ago, in Tromso.  The cruise was 9 days in Svalbard.  I stayed in Suite 441 which is convenient.  It is one floor above the Mud Room and the pontoons where zodiacs disembark.  Deck 4 is also home to Atlantide, the main restaurant and the launderette!  The ship is small so access to outside decks is simple and the forward staircase gives easy access to the Observation Lounge on deck 8.  The weather was mixed with sleety snow, clouds and glorious sunshine and we had very little wind.

20 hours ago, 57 varieties said:

I stayed in Suite 441

When I called my TA on Friday, Vistas were waitlisted. Yes, in one day 4 cabins were reserved.  Today I saw 441 open again and asked her to change us. I am so glad you stated it was a good cabin as I was a bit worried about noise on the lower deck. We were on deck 6. Thank you for posting

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

443 and 445 are disabled adapted I believe but on our trip were used for storage of parkas, water bottles and backpacks. 441 is a standard Vista size.

Edited by 57 varieties
  • Thanks 1

We’re doing Cape to Cape on the Wind in Mar - Apr 2025. A Vista is our preferred option. We did Alaska many years ago on the Shadow in a Vista Suit and just loved sitting by the window watching the scenery. In 2018 we did Antarctica with Seaborne in a Veranda Suit and never used it. Vista Suit 441 is what we’ve been allocated on advice from our SS cruise consultant so we’re going with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hign n Dry said:

Vista Suit 441

We were able to change to this cabin. We were able to save 4000. and now our friends are going and will be near us.  I did read that deck 4 you can smell the kitchen. Is this true?

• Thanks 1