Checking in under 21 for a European cruise

Posted (edited)

Hello, all.

My daughter is going on a Greek Isles cruise with a friend, they are both 20. They ARE allowed to sail and both be under 21 since the cruise departs from Greece. Online check in is now available for their sailing but the app defaults to US so it won't let them check in since they are both under 21. I am not going with them so I can't check them in myself. We called Royal and were told to check in at the pier in person when they arrive. 

1. I asked what arrival time should they use since I usually pick mine during online check in, the guy was not too sure he said probably no later than an hour before the last time slot. 

2. Their room is guarantee and has not been assigned as of yet. Since they can't check in, they can't get their SetSail pass to do the barcode trick.

3. When dropping off their luggage at the pier, we were told they should give them their reservation number unless they do have their room number by then.

4. If they don't check in online will their cruise documents still be issued? I've never "not" checked in online as soon as I could so I don't really know. 

Has anyone been in this similar situation?

Edited by MKESail

Email mbayley@rccl.com.  you'll get an email response that they can take with them as support in case there are any questions at the port.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MKESail said:

4. If they don't check in online will their cruise documents still be issued?

Yes.

The GTY assignment is bound to come well before sailing day. 
Show up at any time. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MKESail said:

Hello, all.

My daughter is going on a Greek Isles cruise with a friend, they are both 20. They ARE allowed to sail and both be under 21 since the cruise departs from Greece. Online check in is now available for their sailing but the app defaults to US so it won't let them check in since they are both under 21. I am not going with them so I can't check them in myself. We called Royal and were told to check in at the pier in person when they arrive. 

1. I asked what arrival time should they use since I usually pick mine during online check in, the guy was not too sure he said probably no later than an hour before the last time slot. 

2. Their room is guarantee and has not been assigned as of yet. Since they can't check in, they can't get their SetSail pass to do the barcode trick.

3. When dropping off their luggage at the pier, we were told they should give them their reservation number unless they do have their room number by then.

4. If they don't check in online will their cruise documents still be issued? I've never "not" checked in online as soon as I could so I don't really know. 

Has anyone been in this similar situation?

Yes, all of that is correct. 

16 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Email mbayley@rccl.com.  you'll get an email response that they can take with them as support in case there are any questions at the port.

Really not necessary as this is common for NA cruisers under 21 who book a European cruise

31 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Can you not check in on app? Is the app country specific?

It defaults to US, I guess it uses your phone’s location? So for someone under 21 it would not allow them to check in no matter where the sailing is. I don’t know if there is a different Royal app to use in Europe, that’s a good question. Does anyone know? I assumed it was the same app we use here. 

I’ve not been in this exact situation but a similar one. Our son is under 21 and is joining the second week of our b2b. We had the same scenario of him not being able to check in. We could mostly work around it by linking our reservations and then I could check him in. When he arrives at the port on the day there are elements that he will need to do “manually”. 

It’s a stupid situation that only RC IT could create. He’s a grown a## man but RC have designed a system that requires his parents to check him in or else have a below par experience.  

1 minute ago, Billy Baltic said:

I’ve not been in this exact situation but a similar one. Our son is under 21 and is joining the second week of our b2b. We had the same scenario of him not being able to check in. We could mostly work around it by linking our reservations and then I could check him in. When he arrives at the port on the day there are elements that he will need to do “manually”. 

It’s a stupid situation that only RC IT could create. He’s a grown a## man but RC have designed a system that requires his parents to check him in or else have a below par experience.  

Yes. I did have to check her in myself earliet this year when we went on a cruise together. But yeah, at least I was able to check her in because I was also on the reservation/linked reservation. 

2 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

I can't imagine there are enough under-21 Americans on their own European reservations to make that feature move the needle.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

I can't imagine there are enough under-21 Americans on their own European reservations to make that feature move the needle.

This is the case for Europeans under 21 too. The system does not allow under 21s to check in online. 
We are Irish, going on a med cruise. 

5 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

This is the case for Europeans under 21 too. The system does not allow under 21s to check in online. 

OK if it's an across the board thing, then that's pretty dumb. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MKESail said:

Yes. I did have to check her in myself earliet this year when we went on a cruise together. But yeah, at least I was able to check her in because I was also on the reservation/linked reservation. 

By calling RC were they at least able to reserve an early check in time for her? 

7 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

By calling RC were they at least able to reserve an early check in time for her? 

Nope. They couldn’t do anything really. Just said show up and do it all in person at the pier. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

WOW! That’s really stupid of RC. 👎

3 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Sorry if I missed it, but I saw you mentioned app. Did they try on the website?

Not yet, but I didn’t think it would make a difference between the app and the website. We will try. 

17 minutes ago, MKESail said:

Not yet, but I didn’t think it would make a difference between the app and the website. We will try. 

You wouldn't think. But there have been reports of differences between the two since your phone has an easier time knowing your location than via the website