Trip Report -- 28-day Arctic Circle / Solstice on the Westerdam

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

@Cruise Junky Can you elaborate a bit on why you were disappointed in the drinks? You can order all kinds of "proper cocktail" drinks that don't contain sugar with the drinks package.  (The menus only list the special drinks they have at that bar.)  For example, you can get martinis, rum and coke, gin and tonic, straight whiskeys, shots, etc., as well as beer or wine.

What would you like that you couldn't get?  Just curious!

Thanks,

~Nancy

Sure. All margaritas, cosmos, lemon drops all cocktails at BBKings are a cheap mix of corn syrup based mixes. They’re not made from the actual ingredients listed on the menu.   I did find a good martini tonight at the Tamarind Bar. Limited white wine list and the one I ordered tonight…the Cote Du Rhone Blanc they said they hadn’t had in months.   Things like gin and tonics are fine, it’s the cocktails and martinis that are garbage. 

I remembered one more thing I didn't care for. When we booked it listed one tender port (Nome). 

The reality was five with the addition of tenders in Sitka, Valdez, Homer, and Kodiak. Lots of 4*,5* and CO made for early days or long lines or both. 

12 hours ago, SightCRR said:

I remembered one more thing I didn't care for. When we booked it listed one tender port (Nome). 

The reality was five with the addition of tenders in Sitka, Valdez, Homer, and Kodiak. Lots of 4*,5* and CO made for early days or long lines or both. 

I still don’t understand the late itinerary changes to tender in all those ports unless the ship was just too big.  I got the impression from the CD that the Captain made the last minute decision to tender in Kodiak.  I loved the itinerary but the lack of advance planning by HAL was a real disappointment.

On 7/8/2024 at 2:34 PM, FlaviaOfTheMonth said:

Cleanliness
The Westerdam does not have the excellent “washie washie” stations with automatic hand washer/driers that the newer ships have. On the newer ships these are at each Lido entrance, along with a crew enforcer. 

I, too, was on this cruise and blogged (www.WriterOnDeck.com).

Great review! And of course reviews are personal opinions. I think most of your opinions were spot on, although some of the comments seemed to criticize entire groups of people (4*+ Mariners, "elderly"). I'm definitely in the former category and in my 60s so not sure about the latter, but I do spend about nine months a year on HAL ships.

For example, I think "Elderly guests and especially 4+ star mariners simply do not like being told what to do and undoubtedly some do not even believe in COVID" is an extreme over-generalization and would be considered discriminatory in many settings. Frankly, it could be applied to some people I know in every age group.

Second, I just want to correct one point for some who rely on these posts. Not all the older ships lack the Lido hand washing. I spent most of the last year on the Zuiderdam (2002) and Zaandam (2000) and both have the handwashing stations. I'm sure the Westerdam will get them in the next dry dock, as that is when they have been added to each ship. As the last ship to come back online after the pandemic pause, the Westerdam may be last in line for drydock upgrades.

Thanks for taking the time to to share your review, especially about the crew. They are the best!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2