Can we make a "2 BR" by combining a suite and a regular stateroom?

My 84-year old mom and I are looking at cruising together in the next year or two.  We need a rare combination on a cruise ship: (1) separate sleeping spaces (sofa beds in the living space won't suit), (2) a living space separate from bedrooms, (3) separate bathrooms, BUT (4) connecting spaces that don't require going into a public hallway. On another board, someone mentioned that Celebrity might have suites that connect with non-suite rooms.  Is that so?  If so, which ship(s)?

Posted (edited)

I am not familiar with Edge class offerings, but here are your options for the other ships which I believe meet all of your specifications.

Millennium class ships (Royal Suite + Ultra Deluxe Concierge Class).  This would include Millennium, Infinity, Summit, and Constellation.

image.png.133c96d13ec7f11674732f0df2bcc486.png

Solstice class ships have this interesting combination although they are slightly different on different ships::

Silhouette and Equinox (Horizon Suite + Prime Ocean View) 

image.png.8e9bbde478cf833e146bc158be20142f.png

Solstice, Eclipse, and Reflection have (Ultra Deluxe Veranda + Prime Ocean View)

image.png.ed868534e99b17d7be6b8a6e1912c995.png

Although it is not a suite, the Ultra Deluxe Veranda cabin is a spacious multi-bedroom cabin with a separate living room and dining room.  Below is a floor plan for the ones on Reflection which is furnished the best compared to the ones on Solstice and Eclipse.  There is a private hallway that connects this cabin with the adjacent ocean view cabin.  When the Ultra Deluxe Veranda cabins were converted to Horizon Suites on Equinox and Silhouette, the bedroom with the bunk beds was converted into a walk-in closet and they are significantly more expensive.  

When the Solstice class ships were built, these large cabins were originally categorized as Family Veranda cabins which is why the drawing below has the FV designation.

image.jpeg.3d06bbb4419600a7046aa565ebf73ef8.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yes, there are smaller, interconnecting cabins associated with some suites for exactly this purpose. 

Wonderful!  Do you happen to know on which ships?  Or which category of rooms I should look for?

1 minute ago, mahdnc said:

I am not familiar with Edge class offerings, but here are your options for the other ships which I believe meet all of your specifications.

Millennium class ships (Royal Suite + Ultra Deluxe Concierge Class).  This would include Millennium, Infinity, Summit, and Constellation.

Solstice class ships have this interesting combination although they are slightly different on different ships::

Solstice, Eclipse, and Reflection have (Ultra Deluxe Veranda + Prime Ocean View)

Although it is not a suite, the Ultra Deluxe Veranda cabin is a spacious multi-bedroom cabin with a separate living room and dining room.  Below is a floor plan for the ones on Reflection which is furnished the best compared to the ones on Solstice and Eclipse.  There is a private hallway that connects this cabin with the adjacent ocean view cabin.  When the Ultra Deluxe Veranda cabins were converted to Horizon Suites on Equinox and Silhouette, the bedroom with the bunk beds was converted into a walk-in closet and they are significantly more expensive.

image.png

So sorry, didn't see this before I posted.  This is wonderful information, thanks!!

• Like 1

There are Sky Suite + Sunset Veranda connecting cabins on all Solstice class ships (aft) but they do not meet Specification #1 on your list.

image.png.e009419e175a104b8a459cf961ac8db1.png

If you think the Solstice class connecting cabins are attractive:

There are four sets on each ship.  Two on Deck 7 and two on Deck 8.  They are all at the front of the ship overlooking the bow.  The Deck 8 sets are much better than their Deck 7 counterparts because the Deck 7 balcony is small and, in my opinion, unusable.

If you are looking for the "classic" suite experience, then the Royal Suite + Ultra Deluxe Concierge Class combo is the way to go although they are on the older Millennium class ships (which I very much like).  The Royal Suites are very nice.

Again, it is possible that the Edge class ships have something that fit your specifications.  I don't know those ships as well.

There aren't a bunch, but they're out there.  Having separate living space for BOTH spaces is what makes it more difficult.  Many cabins have no separate living space, for example, even though some fair number of them have adjoining cabins.

You'll be looking for something with separate sleeping quarters for the suite, so I'd start by looking at Royal suites and some far forward cabins if you can handle being all the way on the nose!

Starting with the smallest ships ('Millennium' class), there are two Royal suites on deck 6 with Concierge class cabins just forward and connected.  Both Penthouse suites also have interconnecting cabins just forward.

Next up are the 'Solstice' class.  The suites on Solstice class have no interconnecting cabins.  Not sure why this was neglected.  As someone has already noted, however, the four Ultra Deluxe Veranda cabins (far forward) on this class have interconnecting 'Ocean Prime View' cabins.

When you get to the 'Edge' class ships, things get a little strange.  One of the two Iconic Suites (get a bigger checkbook!), starboard, I think, has a Royal attached to it just aft. 

• Like 1

The Horizon Suite on S class or a Celebrity Suite (or higher) on E class are your only likely options if you want a separate living space connected to a non-suite cabin. Even then there are only a few of those available. Going to a single Penthouse may be the easiest option. 

Posted (edited)

The Edge class has Magic Carpet suites and adjacent inside,  or IV rooms that can be connected

Look on the deck plan.  You can identify them by the line connecting them. We have been in the MG suites and asked the butler about them. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

What limits the selection is that we must have a cabin that either a) has two bedrooms and separate living space (very rare) or b) start with a suite that is comprised of a cabin with separate living/bedroom with an adjoining connected cabin.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Don't  the FV cabins and the ones marked 5 + have minimum occupancy limits?

That is a very good point because when the cabins are first released for booking, the 5 person minimum is enforced.   Later as time goes by, the 5 person restriction is removed in order to sell any remaining unbooked FV (aka Ultra Deluxe Veranda).  

When the FVs are converted into Horizon Suites (Equinox and Silhouette), there is no 5 person minimum because the extra bedroom is turned into a walk-in closet accessible from the master bedroom.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, gzmtlock said:

My 84-year old mom and I are looking at cruising together in the next year or two.  We need a rare combination on a cruise ship: (1) separate sleeping spaces (sofa beds in the living space won't suit), (2) a living space separate from bedrooms, (3) separate bathrooms, BUT (4) connecting spaces that don't require going into a public hallway. On another board, someone mentioned that Celebrity might have suites that connect with non-suite rooms.  Is that so?  If so, which ship(s)?

TLDR... Had the Ascent PH with 2 bedrooms and bathrooms with common space - it was a great setup overall. Also the Reflection suite on the Reflection has 2 bedrooms - not as nice a setup as the E class PH. A great setup is the M class PH with the adjoining SS that is connected to the living room. This setup provides 3 bathrooms and much more. If you look at Silversea, their ships offer many combinations too often at a lower price point than the options I listed with Celebrity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, miched said:

The Edge class has Magic Carpet suites and adjacent inside,  or IV rooms that can be connected

Look on the deck plan.  You can identify them by the line connecting them. We have been in the MG suites and asked the butler about them. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The Magic Carpet/adjacent insides have no living space. They would otherwise fit the bill - there is a hallway door that opens to a small entryway, with two cabin doors off of the entryway. The MC suites do have a larger than normal balcony, if that could count as a living space...

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, NanaPam00 said:

The Magic Carpet/adjacent insides have no living space. They would otherwise fit the bill - there is a hallway door that opens to a small entryway, with two cabin doors off of the entryway. The MC suites do have a larger than normal balcony, if that could count as a living space...

Here are photos of the deck plan.  

The OP also mentioned  connecting to non suite cabins.  These cabins would work.   They are available on almost every deck with MC suites

I don’t know how they are priced when used to connect to a suite as I am sure they would want the suite privileges and amenities.  

I don’t know what living space is but the deluxe inside cabin has a bed, sofa, and lav and is used like any other inside cabin.  11172, and 11176 can be connected to the MC suite by the door indicated by the line, or entered thru the common hallway.   The cabins 11176 and 11158 are IV cabins that have a bed, lav, and sofa and can be accessed by the doors connecting to the MC suite or from the main hallway.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_1074.png

IMG_1073.png

Edited by miched

On 7/8/2024 at 10:20 PM, mahdnc said:

When the Solstice class ships were built, these large cabins were originally categorized as Family Veranda cabins which is why the drawing below has the FV designation.

There are 2 bedrooms on Reflection and Solstice and Eclipse.  HOWEVER on Equinox and Silhouette there is only one bedroom.  The 2nd sleeping area is a pull out couch in the living room.

On 7/8/2024 at 10:37 PM, mahdnc said:

If you think the Solstice class connecting cabins are attractive:

There are four sets on each ship.  Two on Deck 7 and two on Deck 8.  They are all at the front of the ship overlooking the bow.  The Deck 8 sets are much better than their Deck 7 counterparts because the Deck 7 balcony is small and, in my opinion, unusable.

If you are looking for the "classic" suite experience, then the Royal Suite + Ultra Deluxe Concierge Class combo is the way to go although they are on the older Millennium class ships (which I very much like).  The Royal Suites are very nice.

Again, it is possible that the Edge class ships have something that fit your specifications.  I don't know those ships as well.

But on Equinox & Silhouette there is now only one bedroom since they were converted to Horizon Suites.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

But on Equinox & Silhouette there is now only one bedroom since they were converted to Horizon Suites.

Yes, I’ve noted in my post the conversion of the second bedroom into a closet for Horizon Suites. This still meets the OP’s requirements, I believe. 

Edited by mahdnc

12 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

See the very bottom of my first post. 

one thing to consider, if one is a Suite and the other not, one of you will not have Suite perks nor be entitled to them.  This has come up before.  The 2nd cabin isnt a suite automatically because the first one is.  

On 7/8/2024 at 10:28 PM, mahdnc said:

There are Sky Suite + Sunset Veranda connecting cabins on all Solstice class ships (aft) but they do not meet Specification #1 on your list.

image.png.e009419e175a104b8a459cf961ac8db1.png

Based on my one experience in an aft corner Sky Suite on Solstice, those “connecting cabins” still require going into the hall to move from one to the other. They are connected by a foyer (external to both cabins) that shuts off the corner from the main corridor and has a door that can be closed. Don’t know if that door can be locked as an entrance to both cabins. Since we weren’t sharing, the door remain unlocked during our trip. 

On 7/8/2024 at 9:53 PM, gzmtlock said:

There are other ships and cruise lines with 2-BR suites.  Royal has 2-BR grand suites for example that meet all of your criteria.  Celebrity is rather limited for your needs if just the two of you.  You could get connecting balcony cabins but would have to pay the higher single rate each.