Early Itinerary Change Reasons

I was notified that my May 2025 Eurodam cruise to Alaska has changed the itinerary, swapping a day of Glacier Bay and Icy Strait for Hubbard Glacier. I have no problem with the change. I've just never heard of a change this early after the schedule was set. I've seen weather changes or a damaged port forcing changes, but I'm not aware of any issues. So, I'm curious, any ideas or speculation on why this would have changed?

2 minutes ago, CruiseMob said:

I was notified that my May 2025 Eurodam cruise to Alaska has changed the itinerary, swapping a day of Glacier Bay and Icy Strait for Hubbard Glacier. I have no problem with the change. I've just never heard of a change this early after the schedule was set. I've seen weather changes or a damaged port forcing changes, but I'm not aware of any issues. So, I'm curious, any ideas or speculation on why this would have changed?

Only a certain number of permits are issued for Glacier Bay. I would speculate that could be the reason.

You are lucky to be notified this far in advance. Personally I would be unhappy with that change. I would cancel for sure. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I hadn't thought of that, what I've seen in the past is they don't have that schedule unless they have the permit. All the same cruises before and after have the original itinerary, just this one date has the change. I may be wrong, but I thought Hubbard is even more restricted in issuing permits.

Edited by CruiseMob

9 minutes ago, oakridger said:

In my experience Hubbard Glacier actually calves more often than Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay!  Both locations are just wonderful!

~Nancy

That's my experience also. I'm not bothered by the change at all, just curious. Well assuming we can make it in. 😁 One year the fog in Hubbard was so thick we just sat hoping it would lift before finally having to give up and leave.

For my better half, Glacier is almost non-negotiable, and he is adamant that he never wants to go to Hubbard again. We've been lucky with good weather every time in Glacier, and it's been rainy, foggy, and miserable every time at Hubbard. I realize that's just happenstance, but he's less logical. We like to go in May. I'm trying to convince him to try one of Seabourn's SB out of Juneau so we can try new ports.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, bartexas said:

For my better half, Glacier is almost non-negotiable, and he is adamant that he never wants to go to Hubbard again. We've been lucky with good weather every time in Glacier, and it's been rainy, foggy, and miserable every time at Hubbard. I realize that's just happenstance, but he's less logical. We like to go in May. I'm trying to convince him to try one of Seabourn's SB out of Juneau so we can try new ports.

I apparently got lucky the first time I went to Hubbard and the calving was spectacular, and my first time in Glacier was also fantastic (more luck). 

My understanding is that one is more likely to get into Hubbard than Glacier (but neither has a definitive chance of having good weather).  

I also read that May is the least likely chance of rain in general in the popular Alaskan cruise areas but any month one could have bad luck   (but I have never been in May -- it is on my list). 

Posted (edited)

We took the small boat excursion at Hubbard Glacier in June this year.  Amazing.  It was a beautiful, sunny day and we saw a lot calving.   One was so large the wave rocked our small boat.  We literally had to grab the rails when that wave reached us!

We also went to Glacier Bay which, if your cruise line has the permit, is almost never missed.  We saw some calving, but nothing like we saw on the close-up of Hubbard Glacier.  

Edited by oaktreerb

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

I apparently got lucky the first time I went to Hubbard and the calving was spectacular, and my first time in Glacier was also fantastic (more luck). 

My understanding is that one is more likely to get into Hubbard than Glacier (but neither has a definitive chance of having good weather).  

I also read that May is the least likely chance of rain in general in the popular Alaskan cruise areas but any month one could have bad luck   (but I have never been in May -- it is on my list). 

We have been to GB in May when we were blessed with clear blue skies. Then there's this:

Glacier Bay May 2, 2023 - light rain lasted the entire time we were in GBNP. But still beautiful. 

20240110_031052.thumb.jpg.6cadbc43ab4f3dcb3c92963b7f24a7ec.jpg

20230502_101321.thumb.jpg.1321b545ecd64bb2a5b51cd54cf23fea.jpg

20230502_101601.thumb.jpg.628fcbb5c2a21f7b3692f039506ff806.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment

Posted (edited)

Here's a couple of pics from Hubbard 2019 - beautiful, and lots of calving! I also have wonderful pics from Glacier Bay. Which is why I'm fine with the change, just curious as to why.

20190613_145621.jpg

20190613_151345.jpg

Edited by CruiseMob
  • Like 1