Queen Anne 14th - 28th July Iceland and bits of Britain.

Victoria2

8 minutes ago, D&N said:

I think this confirms that the Pavilion Pool has steps at the end furthest from the big screen. It's a crop from a friend's Facebook post. Hopefully CC's displayed resolution will show the steps under water and the person in the photo appears to be climbing the steps.

Pavilion.jpg.0d122e22b4b3669fb30119295873fb3e.jpg

That’s much much better than mine. Many thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As previously observed there are steps and handrail into the pavilion pool but it is shallow with deep dark sides which feels a bit claustrophobic! The Panorama pool is much nicer IMO if you can manage ladder steps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a special thank you from the ship, we've been invited to join a mandatory safety briefing tomorrow as we've been on the ship for more than 30 days. This is the real benefit of weeks at sea!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, MylesS said:

As a special thank you from the ship, we've been invited to join a mandatory safety briefing tomorrow as we've been on the ship for more than 30 days. This is the real benefit of weeks at sea!

They are thinking that you’re part of the crew now and on the crew mailing list!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

20 hours ago, Shingles Mark said:

I asked if they would inform my table mates and they said they no longer do this. 
I can have the new antiviral treatment if my condition worsens at a cost of 700 dollars! Hopefully I’ll be ok though I do have a dodgy immune system as I had a bone marrow transplant for Leukaemia. 
Fingers crossed 

I would suggest you call your usual clinician / GP or email them via the practice reception. With Teams or Zoom you may even be able to see each other, the QA bandwidth is strong enough to do that. Your GP will have access to both your records and the recently changed guidelines on anti-viral treatment for Covid-19.

The reason being is that in the NHS we now don't always prescribe Paxlovid (which is actually 2 drugs, Nirmatrelvir plus Ritonavir) even in some very high risk cases. And it costs about 500 dollars on the open market, the NHS pays less than that, hence my suspicion it's Paxlovid. Sure if you have Downs or a liver / lung transplant, but for many people the side effects of Paxlovid are worse than the benefits. On the other hand you are in close proximity to other people at the moment. Your NHS GP, who won't have a financial opinion in this, will be able to give the best advice on this.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/paxlovid/about-paxlovid/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pushpit said:

I would suggest you call your usual clinician / GP or email them via the practice reception. With Teams or Zoom you may even be able to see each other, the QA bandwidth is strong enough to do that. Your GP will have access to both your records and the recently changed guidelines on anti-viral treatment for Covid-19.

The reason being is that in the NHS we now don't always prescribe Paxlovid (which is actually 2 drugs, Nirmatrelvir plus Ritonavir) even in some very high risk cases. And it costs about 500 dollars on the open market, the NHS pays less than that, hence my suspicion it's Paxlovid. Sure if you have Downs or a liver / lung transplant, but for many people the side effects of Paxlovid are worse than the benefits. On the other hand you are in close proximity to other people at the moment. Your NHS GP, who won't have a financial opinion in this, will be able to give the best advice on this.

https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/paxlovid/about-paxlovid/

Thanks Pushpit, I’m not feeling any worse than yesterday, basically just a cold , no high temperature so I think I’ll be ok . Haven’t heard from the medical centre yet on if I’m allowed out of isolation today. If I am I certainly won’t go to the dining room tonight and spread it to my chums 

• Like 3

Welcome to Isafjordur where it’s a balmy 8C with a 'shade' temp. of 1C according to AccuWeather.

My thermals don’t seem too silly today! 

It’s  a sweet place in the sunshine but I don’t think I’ll bother getting off for a stroll round as I pretty well 'did' the place in a couple of hours, and that included a long coffee stop, a few years ago. 

IMG_1148.jpeg

IMG_1149.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Is that a new dock ? We tendered there.

Not sure if it’s new, but we tendered last time too. This is far easier, obviously and only a couple of mins away from where the tenders docked.

Good to see most passengers have thick parkas etc. 

It's one of those itineraries where you have to have contingency clothing for mild, even hot weather and flippin cold weather too. It’s the wind which has made the chill seem chillier.

Not spoiling the cruise for us though. Being well looked after by lovely staff, eating ( far too much) wonderful food and on a great ( even if she is too big with occasional issues, one being she’s not Queen Victoria) ship, not a bad way of spending two weeks. 🙂

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, Shingles Mark said:

Thanks Pushpit, I’m not feeling any worse than yesterday, basically just a cold , no high temperature so I think I’ll be ok . Haven’t heard from the medical centre yet on if I’m allowed out of isolation today. If I am I certainly won’t go to the dining room tonight and spread it to my chums 

Glad to hear it. Medical ethics means I can't give you specific advice, but as a general point, staying well hydrated, eating healthily, plenty of rest, staying happy and upbeat, enjoying life, is a good place to be if recovering from a mild case of Covid-19 or similar. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Glad to hear it. Medical ethics means I can't give you specific advice, but as a general point, staying well hydrated, eating healthily, plenty of rest, staying happy and upbeat, enjoying life, is a good place to be if recovering from a mild case of Covid-19 or similar. 

And where better to be to do this that on a Cunard ship?

• Like 2

Our tour guide informed us that the dock was deepened last year to accommodate ships the size of Queen Anne without the need to tender. Very grateful of this today as the wind on the Quay is bracing to say the least! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, andreadawn said:

Our tour guide informed us that the dock was deepened last year to accommodate ships the size of Queen Anne without the need to tender. Very grateful of this today as the wind on the Quay is bracing to say the least! 

And as the town is going to limit daily visitors to 5000, hopefully our Annie will be one of the biggest ships to visit.

Love this area of the world. No need to go on tour if you don’t want to. Just drink in the scenery.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 7/21/2024 at 12:15 PM, Victoria2 said:

and here’s the aft pool.

Surprisingly on this extremely chilly day, I can get a photo with no passengers getting in the way!

Ladder entry only I’m afraid.

IMG_1152.jpeg

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, andreadawn said:

That’s super news! I assume when Cunard planned this itinerary they weren’t aware, as this was marked as a tender port - at least in my itinerary.

I had just assumed that a slot had opened up at the port, and hence didn’t need to tender.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

and here’s the aft pool.

Surprisingly on this extremely chilly day, I can get a photo with no passengers getting in the way!

Ladder entry only I’m afraid.

IMG_1152.jpeg

I’m not loving the black and white tile.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MylesS said:

This was a super quick 5 or 10 minute recap.

We were taken to our assembly station and given a quick summary (bullet point-like) of the captain’s safety announcement.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Stark, wonderful scenery and ruddy chilly

sailing out of Isafjordur 

IMG_1171.jpeg

Don’t ask me how, but I’ve managed to be in a shirt all day 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MylesS said:

Don’t ask me how, but I’ve managed to be in a shirt all day 😂

Outside? All day? Any part of the day?

Can I add Iron Man to your endless list of Cunard attributes!😀

• Like 1

On 7/22/2024 at 6:49 PM, Victoria2 said:

Outside? All day? Any part of the day?

Can I add Iron Man to your endless list of Cunard attributes!😀

Only all day onboard other than the evening - I’m not that brave! 

Managed to come 2nd in today’s blackjack tournament, which given I entered maybe 30 minutes before closing & after being awake for 10 minutes - I think is pretty good!

Relaxing day otherwise, enjoyed afternoon tea and some beers in the 1849 bar whilst relaxing with the slight movement of the ship.