Our pre-cruise adventures in Italy

20 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

It seemed like most of them had nearly the same menus. At least the parts I was looking at. 

My friends said there are a lot of places with quick meals near the spanish steps. I plan on walking in that direct day 1. It's not on any of my tours so I'll walk that direction day 1. I didnt book any really long tours. Just plan on taking it pretty easy. Though day 2 I think I have to be at the Santa Maria Majorie at 9 am. Google says 31 minutes to walk. Tour includes transfer and st Peter and st john. Says transfers will save me hours of walking! Lol. Small group of like minded people up to 20 in the group. So that's a early morning kinda. Some think I'm nuts to do it alone.

You took some gorgeous pictures. I hope my pictures are half as good. You must have a nice camera. But your pictures are beautiful. 

5 minutes ago, marazul said:

The HO-HO bus is nearly useless in Rome.  The bus cannot go in the narrow streets where the main sites are located.  You would be doing a lot more walking and wasting more time sitting in traffic than if you plotted your walking routes from the hotel.  An occasional taxi, like going to the Vatican costs 10-12 euros. 

I'm doing that tour I just mentioned. Ends at st john. Its listed as vatican. Also day 4 I have a skip the line to sisteen chappel and museums. Idk but assume it's near the Vatican but didnt book the vatican. My friend said see the sisteen chappel so I am. One skip the line type tour enough stress for me. I've never done anything like this. Cruises you meet close to the ship, but these I meet like by a white pillar .. I'm hoping its obvious where to meet. My cousin is like why isnt someone doing this booking for you. I tried to explain this is where the ship ends. It's not a formal tour of rome, the leg ends here so I booked some random stuff before I fly home. Not a clue I admit. I've never flown out of the country even. 

Posted (edited)

@firefly333

The Vatican is a tiny country ruled by the Pope. It is enclosed by a wall and it is totally surrounded by the city of Rome. The Sistine chapel and museums are all part of the Vatican Museums. Saint Peter’s is in the Vatican but its entrance is on the other side of the Vatican from the Vatican Museums entrance.

If you post links to the tours you are taking we might be able to give you some ideas about how to reach them.

Edited by marazul

36 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My friends said there are a lot of places with quick meals near the spanish steps. I plan on walking in that direct day 1. It's not on any of my tours so I'll walk that direction day 1. I didnt book any really long tours. Just plan on taking it pretty easy. Though day 2 I think I have to be at the Santa Maria Majorie at 9 am. Google says 31 minutes to walk. Tour includes transfer and st Peter and st john. Says transfers will save me hours of walking! Lol. Small group of like minded people up to 20 in the group. So that's a early morning kinda. Some think I'm nuts to do it alone.

You took some gorgeous pictures. I hope my pictures are half as good. You must have a nice camera. But your pictures are beautiful. 

Thanks!  My pictures were taken with my iPhone. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Happy you had such a wonderful trip and thanks for the photos. Where did you pick up the water taxi to get to your hotel when you got to Venice? Did you reserve it ahead of time or did your hotel arrange it for you?

Edited by cayman09
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, cayman09 said:

Happy you had such a wonderful trip and thanks for the photos. Where did you pick up the water taxi to get to your hotel when you got to Venice? Did you reserve it ahead of time or did your hotel arrange it for you?

We had a private transport (shared with someone from our cruise) from the ship to Venice. They arranged for it and walked us to the water taxi. When we went from our hotel to the airport, our hotel arranged it for us. 

21 hours ago, marazul said:

The HO-HO bus is nearly useless in Rome.  The bus cannot go in the narrow streets where the main sites are located.  You would be doing a lot more walking and wasting more time sitting in traffic than if you plotted your walking routes from the hotel.  An occasional taxi, like going to the Vatican costs 10-12 euros. 

Agreed.  The HOHO bus can't get close to anything and they're VERY crowded.  Plus some people were standing on the upper level.  I was sure at least a few of them would be injured by low tree limbs or traffic signals.  They're terrible in Rome.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cayman09 said:

If you're getting a water taxi, especially from Venice City Center/Tronchetto after a cruise, prebook it. You'll have a shorter wait (I called mine via WhatsApp when I got there, they gave me the taxi number and 5-10 minutes later, it arrived.  Many others had NOT prebooked and had to wait a lot longer.

I used this place. 

https://www.motoscafivenezia.com/en/ticket/choose-destination.php

On 7/18/2024 at 3:31 PM, marazul said:

@firefly333

The Vatican is a tiny country ruled by the Pope. It is enclosed by a wall and it is totally surrounded by the city of Rome. The Sistine chapel and museums are all part of the Vatican Museums. Saint Peter’s is in the Vatican but its entrance is on the other side of the Vatican from the Vatican Museums entrance.

If you post links to the tours you are taking we might be able to give you some ideas about how to reach them.

Hopefully once I see rome with my own 2 eyes it's easier to understand and then I'll feel more comfortable. Had I been there before I'd feel better but it's just something on paper right now.

Sisteen chappel is the most iffy but had a 90% positive review. The meeting pt isnt set yet the way it reads, they will send that before we meet. Its non refundable. This one is the worry mostly. Telling myself I'll ask the hotel if I still feel confused for Thursday.

2 little ones, google maps could find the first address and that's why I know its 31 minutes to walk. But ends st john so a different place to map to walk back to hotel. These are both refundable and easier to understand. Once I pay they send tickets. I dont have to pay until closer in so I can print tickets before my b2b cruise.

Wednesday is a walking tour late afternoon. Group of 25. Says no large purses or bags to hold us up in security allowed. Hopefully my book bag holding my tablet allowed I use to take pictures.

Rome Walking Tour: Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Trevi Fountain

Tuesday. Is the one starts one place ends another. Google maps had the starting point that's why I know its 31 minutes walk. Ends st john and I'll map that address to see how far. Says transfers will save me hours of walking lol. 

Meeting point
Start time
9:00 AM
End point
P.za. San Giovanni In Laterano, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
The tour ends at the third venue – Saint John in Lateran.
635 Reviews

Badge of ExcellenceRome, Italy

Monday I'm just walking to the spanish steps and seeing where food is and whatever.

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Hopefully once I see rome with my own 2 eyes it's easier to understand and then I'll feel more comfortable. Had I been there before I'd feel better but it's just something on paper right now.

I understand and felt the same way. once you get there I’m sure you’ll feel much better about everything. 

Sisteen chappel is the most iffy but had a 90% positive review. The meeting pt isnt set yet the way it reads, they will send that before we meet. Its non refundable. This one is the worry mostly. Telling myself I'll ask the hotel if I still feel confused for Thursday.

We took a taxi to the Vatican since it was a long walk, early in the morning and fearing we could possibly get lost along the way and don’t want to be late. The taxi ride was inexpensive. Our hotel was beside the Pantheon and on the other side of it was a taxi stand so finding a taxi was super easy. 

2 little ones, google maps could find the first address and that's why I know its 31 minutes to walk. But ends st john so a different place to map to walk back to hotel. These are both refundable and easier to understand. Once I pay they send tickets. I dont have to pay until closer in so I can print tickets before my b2b cruise.

Wednesday is a walking tour late afternoon. Group of 25. Says no large purses or bags to hold us up in security allowed. Hopefully my book bag holding my tablet allowed I use to take pictures.

Rome Walking Tour: Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and Trevi Fountain

Tuesday. Is the one starts one place ends another. Google maps had the starting point that's why I know its 31 minutes walk. Ends st john and I'll map that address to see how far. Says transfers will save me hours of walking lol. 

Meeting point
Start time
9:00 AM
End point
P.za. San Giovanni In Laterano, 00184 Roma RM, Italy
The tour ends at the third venue – Saint John in Lateran.
635 Reviews

Badge of ExcellenceRome, Italy

Monday I'm just walking to the spanish steps and seeing where food is and whatever.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I understand and felt the same way. once you get there I’m sure you’ll feel much better about everything. 

We took a taxi to the Vatican since it was a long walk, early in the morning and fearing we could possibly get lost along the way and don’t want to be late. The taxi ride was inexpensive. Our hotel was beside the Pantheon and on the other side of it was a taxi stand so finding a taxi was super easy. 

I think I'm nearest that piazza navorona but the trevi fountain minutes away too. 

Maybe I'll print out the walking maps before I go so I dont worry as much. My phone wouldn't work in rome. I have a tracfone and it doesnt service from there. So once I leave just wifi and google maps. 

By thursday hopefully I have my bearings. I've reread the excursion and I think there is a language barrier. Like I reread and asked so it says skip the line ticket included but doesnt say a entry ticket included. I asked and they said no worries we will have your ticket. Which ticket, are they one and the same. Didnt answer my question. It's not enough money to get upset about, hopefully I can figure out where to meet for that. It's just not written clearly to me. It's clear it wasnt written by someone speaking english as a first language. Just putting it aside for now and reading. First 2 written more clearly. 

I just checked yesterday on the 10 day cruise leg and was astonished how many excursions are already sold out. By the time I get to rome I'll have done and seen so much hopefully. It's the tail end after 23 days of cruising. 

Posted (edited)

@firefly333

Let me try to take your itinerary in detail.

1. You are staying at the Albergo Santa Chiara.  It is one block behind the Pantheon and a five minute walk to the Piazza Navona.  The Trevi fountain is a 10 minute walk away. The Spanish Steps are 10 minutes beyond the Trevi Fountain.  On Monday you said you were going to walk to the Spanish Steps and take it easy.  If you go straight there it is a 15-20 minute walk.

2. Tuesday - I think you are taking a tour that goes first to Santa Maria Maggiore, second to Saint Peter's, and third to San Giovanni in Laterano.  There is a quite a distance between them and you said they provide transportation.  This will likely be by metro (subway).  Your last stop, San Giovanni is a 40 minute walk to your hotel.  This could be a good time to take a taxi back.

If you want more details, post the website link that describes the tour or, at least the name of the tour company.

3.  Wednesday - You are taking a tour to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and Trevi Fountain.  This is all within steps of your hotel.  When you look at the Pantheon you will see that there is a taxi stand alongside the building.  It is half a block from your hotel.

4.  Thursday - Sistine Chapel and Museums.

Tickets: The skip-the-line ticket is THE admission ticket.  It means that you are buying the ticket on the internet so you do not have to stand in line to buy it in person.  That's all. Print it and also save it on your phone.

Getting there: The entrance is at the Vatican Museums entrance. It would take you 40 minutes to walk there from your hotel.  Because of the distance, the twisty streets, and the traffic you should get a taxi at the taxi stand by the Pantheon so you don't miss your timed entrance. Just tell the driver to take you to the "Vatican Museums."  It will cost you 10-12 euros. This is a worthwhile expense. It is important not to be late so get the taxi 30-40 minutes before your admission time. That will give you plenty of time there to get your bearings.

Getting in: There is a security line that moves pretty fast and there are signs for people with tickets (you), and a line for the ticket office for people who did not skip that line by buying it ahead of time. If you have a tour guide, you will get instructions to meet either just outside the Vatican Museum entrance where the taxi drops you off, or right inside in the lobby. The tour guide will tell you where to meet. Once inside, the Sistine Chapel is at the very end of the museum buildings and you will be walking through the museum exhibits to reach it.  There are amazing works of art to see on the way. 

Again, if you need more details, post the link for the website where you are getting the tickets.

Edited by marazul

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, marazul said:

@firefly333

Let me try to take your itinerary in detail.

1. You are staying at the Albergo Santa Chiara.  It is one block behind the Pantheon and a five minute walk to the Piazza Navona.  The Trevi fountain is a 10 minute walk away. The Spanish Steps are 10 minutes beyond the Trevi Fountain.  On Monday you said you were going to walk to the Spanish Steps and take it easy.  If you go straight there it is a 15-20 minute walk.

2. Tuesday - I think you are taking a tour that goes first to Santa Maria Maggiore, second to Saint Peter's, and third to San Giovanni in Laterano.  There is a quite a distance between them and you said they provide transportation.  This will likely be by metro (subway).  Your last stop, San Giovanni is a 40 minute walk to your hotel.  This could be a good time to take a taxi back.

If you want more details, post the website link that describes the tour or, at least the name of the tour company.

3.  Wednesday - You are taking a tour to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona and Trevi Fountain.  This is all within steps of your hotel.  When you look at the Pantheon you will see that there is a taxi stand alongside the building.  It is half a block from your hotel.

4.  Thursday - Sistine Chapel and Museums.

Tickets: The skip-the-line ticket is THE admission ticket.  It means that you are buying the ticket on the internet so you do not have to stand in line to buy it in person.  That's all. Print it and also save it on your phone.

Getting there: The entrance is at the Vatican Museums entrance. It would take you 40 minutes to walk there from your hotel.  Because of the distance, the twisty streets, and the traffic you should get a taxi at the taxi stand by the Pantheon so you don't miss your timed entrance. Just tell the driver to take you to the "Vatican Museums."  It will cost you 10-12 euros. This is a worthwhile expense. It is important not to be late so get the taxi 30-40 minutes before your admission time. That will give you plenty of time there to get your bearings.

Getting in: There is a security line that moves pretty fast and there are signs for people with tickets (you), and a line for the ticket office for people who did not skip that line by buying it ahead of time. If you have a tour guide, you will get instructions to meet either just outside the Vatican Museum entrance where the taxi drops you off, or right inside in the lobby. The tour guide will tell you where to meet. Once inside, the Sistine Chapel is at the very end of the museum buildings and you will be walking through the museum exhibits to reach it.  There are amazing works of art to see on the way. 

Again, if you need more details, post the link for the website where you are getting the tickets.

2 I think were viator, thursday was tripadvisor but email says viator. Is San Giovanni the same as st johns? That's the address but says st John's last stop. Yes maybe taxi if they are around.

And thursday I cant print the ticket. I was sent a voucher I meet someone to exchange for a ticket. At a yet unknown location. Its non refundable. The other two i get tickets ahead, but not thursday. I'm going to quit worrying about Thursday. 

I know if I had some other phone plans would be easier, but for 4 days not changing my phone plan. But I know it will be harder. I'll do the best i can when i get there and keep reading. Sorry spell check keeps changing the name of who I booked thru. Edited.

Edited by firefly333

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

2 I think were viator, thursday was tripadvisor but email says viator. Is San Giovanni the same as st johns? That's the address but says st John's last stop. Yes maybe taxi if they are around.

And thursday I cant print the ticket. I was sent a voucher I meet someone to exchange for a ticket. At a yet unknown location. Its non refundable. The other two i get tickets ahead, but not thursday. I'm going to quit worrying about Thursday. 

I know if I had some other phone plans would be easier, but for 4 days not changing my phone plan. But I know it will be harder. I'll do the best i can when i get there and keep reading. Sorry spell check keeps changing the name of who I booked thru. Edited.

Trip Advisor owns Viator. It's a tour company that acts as middleman between tourists and local tour agencies in many countries. They are not the tour providers, they just book the tours for you. 

San Giovanni=Saint John

Your tour guide can help you find a taxi or taxi stand at the end of your tour.  Carry a piece of paper with the name and address of your hotel (or a hotel business card) in case you have trouble communicating. 

Does your day 4 voucher include a tour or is it just admission? 

When you get your instructions on where to meet them you can post them here if you have any questions. 

The Vatican requires identification to "validate" your ticket to enter the Vatican. That means your passport, or a copy of the ID page of the passport AND another ID such as a driver's license.

Just about all the tour providers in Europe use WhatsApp to make phone calls. You can install it on your phone and use wi-fi to make calls. 

Edited by marazul

On 7/17/2024 at 8:27 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Our first full day in Amalfi we had a small group boat tour. There were 10 of us. We had such a blast and the views were out of this world. It’s hard to pick a favorite day out of our entire vacation, but this and our day in Tuscany are definitely at the top!  We just happened to be staying right in front of the pier where this tour started. It was an 8 hour excursion but the time flew by. He took us all along the Amalfi Coast, explaining which village we were looking at and telling us about the village. He would either completely stop or slow way down so we could get lots of pics. We had a couple swim stops, and an incredible lunch at a restaurant overlooking Positano. This was one of my favorite meals on this trip. I had linguini with lobster. Delicious!! And we had an hour in Positano which I used for shopping. I bought my favorite clothing purchase here, a linen skirt with matching crop top that was exactly what I had in mind before we even left home. I think it’s absolutely beautiful, although a bit of a splurge. 

When we returned I found a salon and scheduled a blow out for the next morning. Walked up and down the street again looking at the same shops, eating dinner, holding the same bag again I spotted the previous day, dh still shaking his head no. Sat down for a pastry and cappuccino at a bakery then returned to our room to read then sleep. 

Our 2nd full day in Amalfi. We went to the beach early and then I went to the salon for my blowout. He only charged me 30 euro!  I figured in a touristy area like this it would have been triple!  Dh said he was going to walk around while I got my hair done. He arrived just as the gentleman finished my hair. My sweetheart had went back to that purse shop to buy the purse I kept looking at.💗 

Next we took a taxi to Ravello. Oh my what a beautiful, charming, quiet village!  I feel in love with it. I found myself doing that quite frequently on this trip!  I’m not sure if we got ripped off or not. I’m thinking he charged us around 210 euro, dh think it was 150, so I’m not sure. I just remember thinking it was high. He said taxis aren’t really a thing in Ravello so we needed to pre-arrange our ride back, which we did. I have to admit I was a bit nervous paying upfront but he sent a driver for us at the agreed upon location and time outside the ceramic factory. They had some beautiful pieces. We bought a small vase. They wrapped it quite well and it survived the trip. It is a lovely souvenir I will see daily. We also bought a Christmas ornament and trivet. 

After this we worked our way up to the Villa Cimbrome gardens. Absolutely breathtaking views!  I’d love to stay here on our return but I assume it’s extremely expensive. They were setting up for a wedding and couldn’t help but wonder how much that would cost. I can’t imagine a more exquisite place to get married. 

On our way back down, we stopped at a wine shop just before the glass factory. We were offered free wine samples and then purchased a bottle to drink while we awaited our taxi. After we enjoyed some of the wine we had him cork and bag it so we could finish it on our balcony. Our hotel restaurant let us borrow wine glasses, which we returned once we finished. We don’t eat at the restaurant there. It was another Michelin star restaurant, but after looking at the set menu I knew I wouldn’t like it. 

The next morning we slept in a little then went to the Amalfi Cathedral. It wasn’t as impressive as the basilicas we’d seen previously, but still quite lovely. Once again we had a Joe Bananas private transfer this time to Naples. 

IMG_5738.jpeg

IMG_5737.jpeg

IMG_5736.jpeg

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5734.jpeg

IMG_5733.jpeg

IMG_5732.jpeg

IMG_5730.jpeg

IMG_5729.jpeg

IMG_1827.jpeg

IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_4011.jpeg

IMG_4022.jpeg

IMG_4024.jpeg

IMG_4042.jpeg

IMG_4043.jpeg

IMG_4049.jpeg

IMG_4067.jpeg

IMG_4068.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

In mid-September we are starting a “Second Honeymoon” with 4 nights in Amalfi (then on to Puglia, Crete, and a Windstar Athens-Istanbul cruise which we had done on a smaller ship on the first honeymoon).
    I’d love to know which operator ran the small boat tour you took in Amalfi.  We’ve briefly been in Amalfi /Ravello/ Positano/Capri during stays in Sorrento in the past but want to focus on the true Amalfi Coast this stay.  Ravello certainly is on our list for at least a 1/2 day explore, and ferries to some well regarded villages like Maiori just to the East of Amalfi town.  While in Amalfi we are high up on the hill at the Excelsior Hotel but they run constant shuttles into town and to their own beach club.  
   I Loved your write-ups and the photos.  Thanks so much for taking the time to share. 

55 minutes ago, medskis said:

In mid-September we are starting a “Second Honeymoon” with 4 nights in Amalfi (then on to Puglia, Crete, and a Windstar Athens-Istanbul cruise which we had done on a smaller ship on the first honeymoon).
    I’d love to know which operator ran the small boat tour you took in Amalfi.  We’ve briefly been in Amalfi /Ravello/ Positano/Capri during stays in Sorrento in the past but want to focus on the true Amalfi Coast this stay.  Ravello certainly is on our list for at least a 1/2 day explore, and ferries to some well regarded villages like Maiori just to the East of Amalfi town.  While in Amalfi we are high up on the hill at the Excelsior Hotel but they run constant shuttles into town and to their own beach club.  
   I Loved your write-ups and the photos.  Thanks so much for taking the time to share. 

Your second honeymoon sounds wonderful!  

We booked our boat tour through Get Your Guide but it was ran by Positano Boats. It was one of the best days of our trip. Can’t recommend them enough!  

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2024 at 3:16 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Day 2 in Rome, Sunday the 16th of June. We had a private tour of the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and the forum with Romewithmarisa. https://www.romewithmarisa.com/about-me/. We saw several large groups and were so thankful we had Marisa to ourselves. I would highly recommend her!  She always tried to get us away from the crowds, best she could, so we could see and hear her. I was in awe of the size of everything; they were larger than I envisioned!  

@NCteacherlovescruising loved your descriptions of your trip!! Question about your D#2 in Rome. Did you customize your tour with Marisa, or use one of the options she had on her website? Was it easy to book the tickets for the attractions- I think tickets are not included on the tour?

I also wanted to see underground of the coliseum and was trying to figure out how to do that also, do you think we would be able to do that with Marisa?

Thanks so much!

4 minutes ago, goose&mav said:

@NCteacherlovescruising loved your descriptions of your trip!! Question about your D#2 in Rome. Did you customize your tour with Marisa, or use one of the options she had on her website? Was it easy to book the tickets for the attractions- I think tickets are not included on the tour?

We didn’t ask her to customize the tour so I don’t know if that’s an option. I would think so since it’s private. 

She booked the tickets and we paid her for them. 

4 minutes ago, goose&mav said:

I also wanted to see underground of the coliseum and was trying to figure out how to do that also, do you think we would be able to do that with Marisa?

Thanks so much!

She cannot offer an underground tour at the Colosseum. I believe she said you have to book those directly through the colosseum. 

@NCteacherlovescruising Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.  All the photos are amazing and it looks like you had a blast.

If you have time, do you recall which tour company you used for the small boat tour in Amalfi?  I'll be there in 3 weeks and looking at various options...

2 hours ago, JGmf said:

@NCteacherlovescruising 

If you have time, do you recall which tour company you used for the small boat tour in Amalfi?  I'll be there in 3 weeks and looking at various options...

We booked our boat tour through Get Your Guide but it was ran by Positano Boats. It was one of the best days of our trip

• Thanks 1