Laundry question - Hang dry

Posted (edited)

I've never done laundry on board and was wondering if anyone has any specific experience. 

I know that they have three options:

-wash and fold (by the bag)

-wash and press (by the piece)

-dry clean (by the piece)

My question is if I use the laundry bag, is there a way to request that certain clothes don't go in the dryer and instead are hang dried?

At home I wash things one of three ways, depending on the garment:

1) Wash, dry, fold

2) Wash, hang, sometimes steam once dry

3) Bring to dry cleaner and request laundry/press (dress shirts)

4) Bring to dry cleaner and request dry cleaning 

Is there a way to request number 2 (minus the steaming)? And do they use a dryer for wash and press or is it similar to the dry cleaner?

Edited by the_fh_mets

• the_fh_mets changed the title to Laundry question - Hang dry
21 minutes ago, the_fh_mets said:

I've never done laundry on board and was wondering if anyone has any specific experience. 

I know that they have three options:

-wash and fold (by the bag)

-wash and press (by the piece)

-dry clean (by the piece)

My question is if I use the laundry bag, is there a way to request that certain clothes don't go in the dryer and instead are hang dried?

At home I wash things one of three ways, depending on the garment:

1) Wash, dry, fold

2) Wash, hang, sometimes steam once dry

3) Bring to dry cleaner and request laundry/press (dress shirts)

4) Bring to dry cleaner and request dry cleaning 

Is there a way to request number 2 (minus the steaming)? And do they use a dryer for wash and press or is it similar to the dry cleaner?

I truly do not mean to laugh at you, but are asking if the laundry room crew will hang dry your laundry before returning it to you?  I have never sailed on VV and won't until next May, but me thinks I already know the answer to this question...

• Haha 1

I have chosen to not send those items which require special handling.  If you need "wash and hang," you can wash in the bathroom sink and hang on the line in the shower.  Or take the special handling items home and deal with them when you have your own equipment.  The do a lovely job with the wash and fold.....but no, I'm not aware of a way to request special handling for an item that is part of the bag system.  You can send specific items, including delicates, and be charged by the item.  Talk to your stateroom host if you want to send "per item" things for special handling.

• Like 2

I was on BTS (Behind The Scene) Tour and we spent about 15 minutes touring the laundry room on Valiant Lady and I can say probably not. There was barely enough room to walk around let alone hang anything to dry. It was wall to wall industrial machinery with a rabbit run in the middle. 😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cloud9 Bob said:

I was on BTS (Behind The Scene) Tour and we spent about 15 minutes touring the laundry room on Valiant Lady and I can say probably not. There was barely enough room to walk around let alone hang anything to dry. It was wall to wall industrial machinery with a rabbit run in the middle. 😁

Thought it might be worth a shot since it's something laundry services here on land offer. But then again they don't deal with the volume or space restrictions inherent in cruise ship laundry. 

So sounds like the answer is wash & press for anything I want washed but want them to treat a little more nicely in terms of drying. And really don't send anything that I'd be upset if damaged (which basically describes none of my clothes)

• Like 2

If you need hang drying, it's best to do it yourself in your cabin.  I only send items in the laundry bag that are of the same color scheme.  You have less chance of color bleeding if you don't mix darks and lights.  And I ALWAYS write on the laundry form, "Cold water wash only.  Low heat dry only."  This has worked on all cruise lines I have sailed.

• Like 1

I love the value of the huge laundry bag and have never personally had any issues. However, lately one of my clients had her laundry returned spotted and blotched and I am seeing more reports of similar. Bottom line, if it is a piece you treasure, perhaps leave it out of the laundry.

• Like 2

I have sent my laundry down on several sailings with some shirts marked as cold water only / hang dry (air dry) and they have always come back with no issue.

• Like 1