Are la paz and loreto stops worthwhile?

latebuyer

Of course, it depends on what you value as "worthwhile". There is access to some very good whale watching in these ports. Scenery is nice. They are less touristy cites. Some good golf. Probably the biggest negative is the port at La Paz is 20 or so minutes by bus to the town. Loreto is a tender port.

• Thanks 1

We did this itinerary once and really enjoyed it.  In La Paz, I took an independent tour to snorkel with whale sharks; best excursion ever! (La Paz VIP tours)  I really like Loreto, I didn't take an excursion, just walked around the town, which is very nice, interesting and safe.  I would do that itinerary again if possible.

Thanks Marden1970 for the post - I will be visiting these two ports for the first time next March on the Grand Princess and have been hoping that their would be some posts about what to do or see there.

Dennis

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2024 at 1:52 AM, Urban trekker said:

Thanks Marden1970 for the post - I will be visiting these two ports for the first time next March on the Grand Princess and have been hoping that their would be some posts about what to do or see there.

Dennis

Hi, DH and I are on this same cruise…I am hoping Princess will offer some additional excursion options later this year.  I’d love to swim with the sea lions.  We have big OBC from the TA promotion that I could use, rather than paying for a private tour.  Same for Loreto,  o too many choices yet. 

On 7/19/2024 at 12:07 PM, marden1970 said:

We did this itinerary once and really enjoyed it.  In La Paz, I took an independent tour to snorkel with whale sharks; best excursion ever! (La Paz VIP tours)  I really like Loreto, I didn't take an excursion, just walked around the town, which is very nice, interesting and safe.  I would do that itinerary again if possible.

For the private tour did you have to get your own transportation to the center of town, or did you get picked up at the cruise port?  

15 hours ago, knbcruisers said:

For the private tour did you have to get your own transportation to the center of town, or did you get picked up at the cruise port?  

The ship had shuttle buses to take you into town.  I then walked down a few blocks to meet up with the tour guide at a local cafe.  Very easy and safe, a nice little town.

• 3 weeks later...

We stopped at La Paz this year on Carnival, and yes, it is a shuttle ride away from the port to La Paz. I would call the ride scenic as you go along the coastline and the water was beautiful, so blue. At least it's not an hour long ride !! We did not do any tours as this was a first time in La Paz for us. We just wanted to walk around town, see the main sights, and grab a snack or two. Nothing must-do on our list for a first time.

The Carnival shuttle drops off at the main bus terminal on the malecon, not sure where Princess drops off though. It is a nice town - we walked back up to the main square and the cathedral, stopped in at a few of the shops around there, and took a slow walk along the malecon. We were there day after New Years Day - mid-morning - so many of the shops were only just opening near the main square. Once we got back down to the malecon then shops & restaurants were starting to get busy.

Shuttle ride both ways was comfortable. Back at the cruise terminal there were tourist stalls and one taco stand on the pier. Overall a nice stop. Just a note that our ship docked on the opposite side of the bay from where I thought we would dock - I think this building might be the cruise terminal - Portandvendorstalls.thumb.jpg.d7eb3332496cc03105fe749b816c0f1c.jpg. If being picked up for a private tour (at the port), just make sure to check that they know where you will be.

(I would have liked to have gone out to Balandra Bay, but as this was a first to La Paz, we just wanted to get a feel for the town itself this time).