Celebrity Cruise Extensions

Posted (edited)

To my knowledge they do not offer a cruise tour package in Japan as they do in other parts of the world such as, for example, Alaska.  (They also offer land and hotel packages for different parts of Europe).

I think you would have to look at the excursions for cruises involving Tokyo on the Celebrity website to see what may be offered that would provide an alternative to that.

Otherwise I would suggest talking to a travel agent who would be able to create a separate land tour with hotels for you.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

If they do, I guarantee that it is horrendously overpriced.

You can book all of the same accommodations yourself for 1/3 (or less) of what they would charge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We have done pre cruise stays in Tokyo.

the port is closer to Yokohama south of Tokyo.

Hotels in that area are less expensive than downtown Tokyo and the Metro system is very good with lines going everywhere.

A lot of day trips start near Metro stations and you can buy A Metro  tourist ticket that lets you ride almost all the lines

then on the day you go to the ship it’s a short Taxi ride.

18 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Where these arranged through the cruise line or independently?

We always do everything on our own.

if you are good at using apps on a phone finding day trips is easy.

we found people working at the Metro ticket office in some stations who spoke English and were very helpful.

If you tried navigating through Tokyo 20 years ago without speaking Japanese you would be at a big disadvantage.

Today they are way more helpful and more welcoming to tourists.

A lot of signage is in Japanese and English partly because that was required back during the post WW II occupation.

Booking a hotel in Tokyo is easy with one of the many websites like Booking.com and going to their Maps and street view lets you see what’s nearby.

I suggest looking for a hotel near a Metro station. Get a tourist Metro pass at a ticket office in one of the stations.

The Metro is clean and fast and moving maps in every car keep you informed of what station is next. Also announcements On the trains are made in Japanese And English.

29 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The OP is looking for Celebrity pre cruise arrangements,I believe

29 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The OP is looking for Celebrity pre cruise arrangements,I believe

I never found any so I was offering an alternative.

Just now, D. B. said:

I never found any so I was offering an alternative.

what tscoffey said above about Cruise line pre cruise "Excursions" is Oh so true.

On 7/18/2024 at 3:08 PM, eddieg07410 said:

We are planning to take a cruise next May out of Tokyo. We were wondering if Celebrity offers a pre cruise extension that  would cover hotels and touring of Tokyo.

I checked and on a TA site I can't mention, the answer is no, unfortunately.  There's the possibility they have a same-day morning tour that drops you off at the ship to board.  I have seen the Airboat Everglades tour with ship drop-off in FFL (or at least did at one time).   You may want to look at Viator which is under the Expedia umbrella, you can book transfers and tours and then hotels yourself.  X does offer them for Alaska

40384_230125091549E70C6.jpg

20 hours ago, D. B. said:

We have done pre cruise stays in Tokyo.

the port is closer to Yokohama south of Tokyo.

Hotels in that area are less expensive than downtown Tokyo and the Metro system is very good with lines going everywhere.

A lot of day trips start near Metro stations and you can buy A Metro  tourist ticket that lets you ride almost all the lines

then on the day you go to the ship it’s a short Taxi ride.

Interesting, Thanks. What hotel(s) are you planning to stay at?

This time we are staying with friends who live in Yokohama.

there are a lot of hotels in south Tokyo that are more affordable than the ones downtown.