Plus package vs Premier package

bobk57

1 minute ago, 1KBAP said:

I have never heard of that happening.

We've just heard it now. 😄

Now, the report may not be 100% accurate but someone with reservations was bumped from a SD even though they had a reservation so we know now that this can happen. And now that Premier90 includes unlimited SD, it's more likely to be an issue now than in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2024 at 1:22 AM, 1KBAP said:

You don't pay gratuities?  You don't use the internet?  Drink coffee?  Drink soft drinks?  Don't visit the "casual" paid restaurants?  Don't like "Premium Deserts"?  Don't use Ocean Now?  Don't use room service?  No alcohol?

It's hard to imagine one who spends less per day than one spends on a Plus Package.

There's plenty of us that do not drink alcohol, eat over indulgent desserts, order room service or Ocean Now service, mostly drink beverages that are already included, and eat only in the MDR and other already included venues.

On my last Princess cruise, was in Alaska, so cell phone coverage in the ports was easily available, so no internet package needed (I don't usually get it, since I'm fine with unwinding and not being always connected.)  I had three diet Cokes all week. (It's my lifestyle anyway, so nothing missed that I would normally have, since Princess has Coke products only, and I can't get Mountain Dew Zero Sugar.)

So, other that that ~$10, the only thing on my folio at the end of the cruise was the gratuity.  7x$16 (I think) so $102; final bill would have been ~$112 (lots of credits applied due to problems with the ship, so actual credit card bill was ~$93.)  But you believe (it seems) that I should buy the Plus package at $420 for the week.  I'm already paying ~double as a solo, I'm not piling on extra charges I won't utilize to get my money's worth.

No question that I'm not the ideal customer for Princess, who wants double occupancy, drinkers who order a package, and etc. and so on.  But we do exist, even if in dwindling numbers.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MacMadame said:

Now, the report may not be 100% accurate but someone with reservations was bumped from a SD even though they had a reservation so we know now that this can happen. And now that Premier90 includes unlimited SD, it's more likely to be an issue now than in the past.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet.

• Haha 1

Just now, 1KBAP said:

No, I said it's not for everyone.  But it is for most people.

Well, you said "It's hard to imagine one who spends less per day than one spends on a Plus Package."  That implies "nobody".  (OCD engineer here being very literal today with my reading interpretation. 😏 )

I'll agree that the majority of passengers buy a package, but there's a significant minority that buys the Standard fare.  The percentage will vary depending on the cruise itinerary. 

(That is, if the web site would allow it; I'm currently having issues with that.  While the Standard fare is shown, once a cabin is selected, the fare goes up, apparently including the Plus package.) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 1KBAP said:

I find them a good bargain overall, but realize they are not for every single passenger. 

I think many don't add up what the cruise costs them at the end of the day but instead just look at the upfront cost of the package and not realize they are mostly going to spend more than that unless they stiff the staff and drink still tap water all day.

Posted above by me in Post 54.

2 hours ago, IndyKid said:

What you might do is book the cruise without any packages, go into the dining reservations via the web-based app and see what's available, but don't book any. If it appears that the restaurants you want are still available, then pull the trigger, upgrade to the Premier and then go back in and make your reservations.

The app on my phone hasn't worked for any reservations, even the main DR since we booked in Feb. 

Perhaps it's a combination of the ship, my phone and when we added in the new Premier package in Aug.

Either way I've cancelled the Premier & don't require any SD reservations. 

43 minutes ago, 1KBAP said:

Princess has never worked that way.

27 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

Pointless. 

5 minutes ago, 555 said:

The app on my phone hasn't worked for any reservations, even the main DR since we booked in Feb. 

Perhaps it's a combination of the ship, my phone and when we added in the new Premier package in Aug.

Either way I've cancelled the Premier & don't require any SD reservations. 

we’ve had similar issues. Good call.

1 minute ago, dog said:

Pointless. 

we’ve had similar issues. Good call.

I just heard this afternoon that one of the productions shows (pirates ?) is finished.

What else can the eliminate on this ship?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I understood that.

I will say that if this actually happened, it addresses your concern about not being able to get specialty dining on embarkation day now that Premier90 guests have unlimited SD. (That was you, wasn't it?) It sounds like they'd seat you and bump someone else if they get overbooked.

No I was never concerned about embarkation day because they hold out lots of tables on that night  for suites. I also am having no problems for and specialty dinings as long as I am flexible with times. Sometimes we eat as early as 7:30 and late as 8:30

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 555 said:

My phone wouldn't let me make any reservations either because I haven't paid in full yet (not due until February), but I found the back-door into dining reservations by using the web-based app on the PCL website with my desktop PC.

11 hours ago, IndyKid said:

My phone wouldn't let me make any reservations either because I haven't paid in full yet (not due until February), but I found the back-door into dining reservations by using the web-based app on the PCL website with my desktop PC.

It doesn't work either.