Can I make substitutions to menu items?

PJDH4

I have been obsessing over the menus since we booked our cruise.  Picking out all the things I want to try is part of the fun of planning for me!  But, how easy is it to make small substitutions to items?  For example, at Extra Virgin, I've been eyeing the eggplant parmesan, but wouldn't want the vegan cheese.  Could I ask for it to be replaced with the regular mozzarella that is served on the meatballs?  Thank you for your insight!

18 minutes ago, PJDH4 said:

I have been obsessing over the menus since we booked our cruise.  Picking out all the things I want to try is part of the fun of planning for me!  But, how easy is it to make small substitutions to items?  For example, at Extra Virgin, I've been eyeing the eggplant parmesan, but wouldn't want the vegan cheese.  Could I ask for it to be replaced with the regular mozzarella that is served on the meatballs?  Thank you for your insight!

I have found that the restaurants have been more accommodating than on other lines, as the food is cooked to order.

• Thanks 1

Provided the restaurant has the ingredients needed for the substitution, yes.  Most of the food is cooked to order, so unless it involves something like a sauce that is made in advance, no problem.  In that case, you can skip the sauce or possibly substitute a different sort of sauce.  

Another hint--you can swap pastas and sauces in Extra Virgin.  For example, the sauce on te gnocchi is exceptional while the pasta is often overcooked and mushy.  Just choose a different pasta and ask for the sauce from the gnocchi.  It is odd as the gnocchi at The Galley is usually quite good. 

You can almost always leave something off.  Adding or substituting is usually possible.

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic, but our experience in the restaurants was to ask the waiter their opinion on the menu choices. When we took their suggestions, we were delighted, and when we didn’t, we were disappointed.  In almost every case it was more steering away from certain items and less about the waiter’s subjective palate.  

It might’ve been just our one off experience, but when we board this time we’re going to try the same thing.