Carnival Corporation Orders Three Additional Ships for Carnival Cruise Line, Introducing a New Class of Ships

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

230k is oasis class size or so. 

Are they putting 8000 passengers on these ships because oasis is still only 6000 passengers. 

Or is it 8000 with staff?? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Excel was perfect during start up, But I went on MG for sailabration and it was dumb cramped the Inside spaces just aren't big enough for the amount of people. Doesn't mean I still dont like MG but I rather be on a Spirit/Dream/Vista class. 

Oh yeah it was great August 2021. Maybe slightly better than perfect. I mean we had 2,800 people. I frequently was the only person at the second level tiki bar on sea day afternoons. Now I don’t attempt to get to that bar. I’ll walk to serenity if I’m up there. 

I went to a juggling show in center stage and was the only person on the main floor.

The Mexican resorts were great back then as well. Traveling is a lot better when nobody else is doing it.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Are they putting 8000 passengers on these ships because oasis is still only 6000 passengers. 

Oasis class has 200+ less staterooms.

I just do not know how I feel about the BIG ships. MG was fun to experience, but I personally really prefer Vista class. But hey.....maybe with the big ships they will "fix" the Havana area that they botched on the Excel class!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

It does not go into that detail.  I am sure there will be more to follow.

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It does not go into that detail.  I am sure there will be more to follow.

It's 8,000 guests. The press release says "carrying almost 8,000 guests at full capacity."

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Ships are going to be larger than Excel and hold more pax.  From the announcement:

"a new class of vessel, at nearly 230,000 gross registered tonnes"

"With over 3,000 guest staterooms, the new ships will be the largest in the  Carnival Corporation global fleet and will be able to deliver fun to more guests than any ship in the world when carrying almost 8,000 guests at full capacity."

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

Noticeably bigger.

25% larger than Excel class in gross tonnage.

About 25% more staterooms than Excel class.

"brand for a new class of vessel, at nearly 230,000 gross registered tonnes"

"With over 3,000 guest staterooms, the new ships will be the largest in the Carnival Corporation global fleet"

I went back and reread. I thought it was referring to the Excel ones already ordered. Oh well. Still give me hope for Dream/Vista class in NOLA as no way they would bring any of these here.

Edited by starstruck05

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Da fuq....nah, that's going to be a no from me dawg.

Good thing that as I get older, Holland looks better and better every day.

We're very much looking forward to giving HAL a try; likely initially either a Panama Canal full transit or an extended Mex Riv out of San Diego.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Gotta love CC, people moan and groan when they do not get new builds.  People moan and groan when they do order new builds.  Never gets boring here.

Meh, wife and I would still be sailing Inspiration and Imagination every month if they were both still in Long Beach.

• Like 1

i wonder if this means that an excel class sails out of NYC. The Mardi Gras was scheduled to do a few cruises out of NYC which never happened in 2020 

• Like 1

I'm also wondering how this affects the retirement schedule.  I would have to believe that the two remaining Fantasy Class boats, Sunshine, and perhaps the inherited P&O ships will face sundowning at some point.  My sincere hope is that some of these older ships get retained for 'service expansion' (San Juan, perhaps 2nd European, etc.)

I'm also interested as to how this all gets coordinated vis-a-vis other Carnival Corp lines. Is HAL repositioned as their 'small ship' destination focused line? 

10 minutes ago, shof515 said:

i wonder if this means that an excel class sails out of NYC. The Mardi Gras was scheduled to do a few cruises out of NYC which never happened in 2020 

I'm going to say no. They had enough challenges selling a Vista Class.

32 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

Meh, wife and I would still be sailing Inspiration and Imagination every month if they were both still in Long Beach.

You would not want to be on them now.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jsglow said:

We're very much looking forward to giving HAL a try; likely initially either a Panama Canal full transit or an extended Mex Riv out of San Diego.

We will be touring a HAL ship next month.  Might have a cruise booked on one by then.

23 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I'm also wondering how this affects the retirement schedule.  I would have to believe that the two remaining Fantasy Class boats, Sunshine, and perhaps the inherited P&O ships will face sundowning at some point.  My sincere hope is that some of these older ships get retained for 'service expansion' (San Juan, perhaps 2nd European, etc.)

I'm also interested as to how this all gets coordinated vis-a-vis other Carnival Corp lines. Is HAL repositioned as their 'small ship' destination focused line? 

I am sure some of those ships days are numbered (as can be said for all of us, more or less).  For both RCCL and Carnival, it seems as though they have these growth spurts where they turn over a good portion of the fleet in a relatively short period of time.  Great when you go through it but the down side is they reach a level of maturity at around the same time frame.  

All that said, I would echo your thoughts on older ships, especially in Europe.

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Curious of how you know that.

Well...

New Carnival ships:

230,000 gross tons

3,000+ staterooms

Oasis class:

235,000 gross tons

2,744 staterooms

I mean - it's possible Oasis class ships are dedicating way more space to crew - but odds are that being larger with less staterooms equates to more public space.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stobe1 said:

Could they possibly be dusting off the old shelved Pinnacle class design and updating it a bit for this new class?

N

ScivoloPoppa-scaled.webp

LazyRiver-1030x727.webp

Before, I came to your post I was wondering if they were going to go with the original Pinnacle Class concept. It will be interesting to see. I'm searching for that old concept video now.