Need advice for private Amalfi Coast tours please

Aquaticdreams

We’re looking at Amalfi Coast excursions from Naples for our upcoming cruise. I think I’ve narrowed it down to two private tours. They’re both 8 hours and offer “on your own” time in the different towns. I’m wondering if anyone has taken either tour or has any feedback on the excursion booking companies. I realize they’re basically the brokers not the actual tour company but I’m interested in hearing peoples experiences with them. Just a little hesitant given the distance from port and time of year (January 29, 2025). Also not sure if including Sorrento (option 2) is worth the extra money and having less time in the other towns. Of course any other tour recommendations are always welcome. Thanks!

Option 1 ShoreExcursioneer

Naples Full Day Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello $95

1 hour Positano

1.5 hours Amalfi

1.5 hours Ravello

Option 2 Shore Excursions Group

Ultimate Sorrento and Amalfi Coast $219

1 hour Sorrento

1 hour Positano

1 hours Amalfi

1 hours Ravello

Haven’t done these tours, but stayed in Amalfi last month and visited the three villages in option 1. I would definitely choose it to get more time in Amalfi and especially Ravello. Ravello was absolutely charming and beautiful and I would want as much time there as possible. Go to the Villa Cimbrone gardens for stunning views. 

Both are booked with tour brokers. As discussed here frequently, while these always seem to have lower prices, customer service can be an issue if you have any problems. Tour brokers take your money and seek low bid providers in the area.

Better to book direct with the recommended local vendor when booking tours.

You might want to read this very recent thread about booking with supposedly one of the best tour brokers:

17 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Haven’t done these tours, but stayed in Amalfi last month and visited the three villages in option 1. I would definitely choose it to get more time in Amalfi and especially Ravello. Ravello was absolutely charming and beautiful and I would want as much time there as possible. Go to the Villa Cimbrone gardens for stunning views.

Thanks for the tip. I’m leaning toward spending more time in fewer places. I read Villa Cimbrone still has some flowers blooming in January so that would be a nice bonus.

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Better to book direct with the recommended local vendor when booking tours.

You might want to read this very recent thread about booking with supposedly one of the best tour brokers:

Yikes that sounds like a nightmare. 

Any suggestions for reputable private tour companies for Naples? Or Italy in general? 

6 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

Thanks for the tip. I’m leaning toward spending more time in fewer places. I read Villa Cimbrone still has some flowers blooming in January so that would be a nice bonus.

Yikes that sounds like a nightmare. 

Any suggestions for reputable private tour companies for Naples? Or Italy in general? 

Rome in Limo. Mentioned here frequently...huge thread just down the board. Great company. Have used the several times.

The Amalfi Coast is largely shuttered in January, unless you have a perfect weather day so you can enjoy the scenery there doesn't seem to be much point in going to the coast in the winter.

Free time in Positano?  What would you do, but climb up and down the hill and look at closed shops and restaurants?

There are so many interesting things to see and do right in Naples that are more season and weather appropriate, is there a reason you are overlooking this possibility?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Aquaticdreams said:

Any suggestions for reputable private tour companies for Naples?

I absolutely agree with euro cruiser. On the date you are giving,  if you were to look at average weather for the area, you will see that January is also the coldest month. and if it is also raining, you would be sitting in a van looking at rain running down the windows.

I would also recommend you simply stay in Naples where there are a vast number of sights both indoors and outdoors, more than enough to fill a single day, meaning you could easily work around whatever weather you have that day. and you could have pizza for lunch in the city where it was created.

The other advantage is that you can explore Naples on your own as you dock centrally,only needing to step out of the terminal building and you are there , and no tour needed if you do some pre-trip homework, maybe starting with past threads, but also the usual "Tourist Information Naples" websites, inncluding Tripadvisor, Frommer's, Fodors, YouTube and many others which will appear in your internet search.

Past threads here, choose from these

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=naples&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

Edited by edinburgher

On 7/25/2024 at 4:22 AM, euro cruiser said:

Free time in Positano?  What would you do, but climb up and down the hill and look at closed shops and restaurants?

There are so many interesting things to see and do right in Naples that are more season and weather appropriate, is there a reason you are overlooking this possibility?

On 7/25/2024 at 8:00 AM, edinburgher said:

I absolutely agree with euro cruiser. On the date you are giving,  if you were to look at average weather for the area, you will see that January is also the coldest month. and if it is also raining, you would be sitting in a van looking at rain running down the windows.

We are most interested in the quaint towns and scenery and the stunning Amalfi Coast is a bucket list destination. I don’t know if we will ever be back for a land vacation so we were hoping to make this work. We’re ok if most of the shops and restaurants are closed as long as we can explore/see the charming towns/architecture and scenery. I don’t want to rule it out just yet but you’ve both given me food for thought, so thank you. I will look into other options as well. Taking a ferry to Capri sounds lovely but I assume would be pretty risky in January (even with the ship’s option). Sorrento or Naples could work. So far I’ve watched some videos on Naples and it doesn’t look all that appealing. I will continue reading. Any other suggestions are welcome!

If the weather is good Capri can be a nice DIY trip.  Again, much of the island will be closed down but people do live there year round, so you can find open shops and restaurants, just no where near as many as in the spring, summer and fall.

Naples is absolutely lovely and it's a year-round destination (the third largest city in Italy), but it's not for everyone.  

On 7/24/2024 at 5:51 AM, Aquaticdreams said:

(January 29, 2025)

You must be sailing either all of the itinerary in late January or partly January and partly February, possibly the two coldest and wettest months in many parts of Europe. 

You would be wise to pack layers and waterproof outerwear and footwear.

On my one and only time to Italy, it was a dream of mine to make it to Positano...which our tour didn't have time for due to traffic.  We did stop in Sorrento after Pompeii on our way down the Amalfi Coast and all we did was eat lunch there.  While it was an amazing view, I would choose to spend more time in Positano and Ravello.... but that's just bc it's on my bucketlist.

I am going in Sept 2024 and have a tour booked with Simply Amalfi from Naples to Positano and Ravello (8 hour tour starting at 7:30).  That may leave us with a little time in Naples as we leave at 5 pm (maybe a good slice of pizza before heading back to the port).  I was able to get others to join (for a total of 7 people) and a price of 650 euros for the day - minus food, entrance fees and tips.  If you want to check back with me when I get back mid-September, I can tell you how the tour was. 🙂

I understand the wish to cram in as much as possible, but you will spend at least half of your eight hours sitting in the van (I'm not exaggerating, September is still high season along the Coast), and if anyone at all has motion sickness the curves and hills will make that a very uncomfortable time.

Just set your expectations accordingly.  With only two stops you should have at least 90 minutes at each one.

On 7/25/2024 at 7:14 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Rome in Limo. Mentioned here frequently...huge thread just down the board. Great company. Have used the several times.

We used Rome-In-Limo and they gave six of us a great trip down the coast and also Pompeii

On 7/29/2024 at 11:29 AM, edinburgher said:

You would be wise to pack layers and waterproof outerwear and footwear.

Already bought a coat and some Hokas! 🙂

On 7/29/2024 at 4:26 PM, erby2283 said:

On my one and only time to Italy, it was a dream of mine to make it to Positano...which our tour didn't have time for due to traffic.  We did stop in Sorrento after Pompeii on our way down the Amalfi Coast and all we did was eat lunch there.  While it was an amazing view, I would choose to spend more time in Positano and Ravello.... but that's just bc it's on my bucketlist.

I am going in Sept 2024 and have a tour booked with Simply Amalfi from Naples to Positano and Ravello (8 hour tour starting at 7:30).  That may leave us with a little time in Naples as we leave at 5 pm (maybe a good slice of pizza before heading back to the port).  I was able to get others to join (for a total of 7 people) and a price of 650 euros for the day - minus food, entrance fees and tips.  If you want to check back with me when I get back mid-September, I can tell you how the tour was. 🙂

Yes thank you. I would absolutely love to hear about it! I understand the warnings about the coast in January but still haven’t ruled out a private tour of the Amalfi Coast. I booked a Celebrity excursion that visits Sorrento, a local farm for lunch, Positano, then a private Italian dinner on board. It seems like a good compromise that will still allow us to see at least some of the Amalfi Coast without as much risk. But I am still open to changing my mind about the private one. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/23/2024 at 9:51 PM, Aquaticdreams said:

Of course any other tour recommendations are always welcome. Thanks!

Option 1 ShoreExcursioneer

Naples Full Day Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello $95

1 hour Positano

1.5 hours Amalfi

1.5 hours Ravello

Option 2 Shore Excursions Group

Ultimate Sorrento and Amalfi Coast $219

1 hour Sorrento

1 hour Positano

1 hours Amalfi

1 hours Ravello

I'd choose option 2 for more time at each location. We visited in late Sept 2019. Ravello was my favorite; the views from Villa Rufalo were spectacular. Then Positano and Amalfi.  This tour was for the views; I don't shop and I'm not a foodie so January would be fine for me as long as I had those views. 

When I did my research, these companies had been positively recognized by other travelers; Italy Tours EU, RomeInLimo, JoeBanana, TaxiMisterCabDriver (on facebook), AldoLimo, ItalyTourSharing.  Good luck with your research and choice!

Edited by mapleleaves

On 7/23/2024 at 9:51 PM, Aquaticdreams said:

Of course any other tour recommendations are always welcome. Thanks!

oops, one other name that was on my list if you want to check out other tour operators;  Carmine's Amalfi Coast

20 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

When I did my research, these companies had been positively recognized by other travelers; Italy Tours EU, RomeInLimo, JoeBanana, TaxiMisterCabDriver (on facebook), AldoLimo, ItalyTourSharing.  Good luck with your research and choice!

11 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

oops, one other name that was on my list if you want to check out other tour operators;  Carmine's Amalfi Coas

Thanks for the recommendations!