Embarkation questions.

Hello. On embarkation day the cruise departs at 7 pm. I would like to explore the port city without dragging around my luggage. What is the earliest I can check in? Can I leave my luggage at the pier and go back to check in later? Can I check in early in the day, handing over my luggage, and then get back off the ship and explore for a couple of hours?  FYI…the ship arrives in port at 6 am.  Thank you. 

Once you embark the ship, I don’t believe you can leave until you reach your first port. I would think you could check your luggage with the porters as soon as they are on duty, but not immediately board the ship. 

• Like 1

You have options. Check in times vary by port. A few are as early at 10 am but usually 10:30 - 11 is average. To disclaimer the ship may arrive at 6 am but guests don't get off the ship until it clears customs. The ship may not leave port until 7 but every port has an on board time. For example,  New Orleans is usually 2:30/3 pm but sail away isn't until about 5 pm. 

You can check your bags in with the porter at the terminal and come back for full check in but most ports you can do full check in and then leave back off the ship. You just have to show you documents that you already checked in, and be back in time because the ship will leave you. Additionally rooms are usually not ready until about 1:30 at most ports so if you do full check in you will have to wait until you can drop your luggage in your room before leaving.

If possible I suggest coming in the day before the cruise and using that time to explore the area. Too many variables can keep you from making it back in time.

• Like 2

You could absolutely swing by and give your luggage to the porters early in the morning, then leave the port area without checking in. As indicated, be sensitive to the Final Boarding time. That's truly 'last call' and you will be denied boarding if you miss the cut off.

• Like 2

Dropping off your baggage with the porters is NOT a good solution for carry-on type baggage.  I have to carry around with me all of the valuables, medicines, passports, travel documents, whatever else until the "full check-in."  That is not a lot of fun!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Dropping off your baggage with the porters is NOT a good solution for carry-on type baggage.  I have to carry around with me all of the valuables, medicines, passports, travel documents, whatever else until the "full check-in."  That is not a lot of fun!

I don’t bring valuables on vacation, I could easily fit my passport and medication in a purse.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t bring valuables on vacation, I could easily fit my passport and medication in a purse.

Same here. I bring no "good" jewelry on any vacation except my plain gold wedding ring. It's that much less to worry about.