28 Day Norwegian Fjords & Icelandic Intrigue on Sojourn - July 27th through August 24th - Our Experience

SLSD

Posted (edited)

I'm backtracking today to report about one last Icelandic port that I missed talking about in real time. This is the port of Vopnafjorour.  At this port, we took an excursion to Bustarfell.  Bustarfell is an ancient manor in the farming country outside of Vopnafjorour.  A house was originally built on this site in the 1500s and was rebuilt in the 1700s after a fire destroyed the first house.  It is the turf house from the 1700s that we saw and explored on our excursion. 

This house has remained in the same family during all of this time, who have lived  at this place since 1532!  The rebuilt 1769 house changed through the centuries with the family last living in the house in 1966. That was the year this farming family built a modern house for themselves.  However, the house was actually sold to the Icelandic state in 1943 to assure its preservation while the family continued to live in the house.  

This very large turf house is now the Bustarfell Heritage Museum and is furnished in such a way that it looks like the family has just stepped out and will be back in a few minutes.  

We loved this site and if turf houses interest you at all, I would recommend adding this excursion to your Seabourn cruise to Vopnafjorour.  

I'm including a few photos here to show you what you would see at Bustarfell.  The first photo is the view from the site of the home.  The young man is the son of the current owners and our guide at the home.  I think the last few photos look like entrances to Hobbit houses.  

We also visited a waterfall on this excursion,  

IMG_0913 (1).JPG

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0910.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0942 (1).JPG

IMG_0958 (1).jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, SLSD said:

Our fellow passengers always say some things that make me laugh.  A few years ago, one friend called dining in the Colonnade at breakfast and lunch "feeding at the trough".  Just reporting that got me in a lot of trouble here. 

I remember this kerfuffle.   I can't walk into the Colonnade scrum without thinking of the line and laughing. 😂 

Although I probably won't be laughing if they keep the restaurant closed for lunch on our upcoming trip!

Glad you're enjoying your trip. Thanks for reporting. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SLSD said:

One photo includes a Hurtigruten cruise ship.  Has anyone here sailed with them? 

We "sailed" with them back in 2015 when we did the mail boat up the coast from Alesund to Tromso. We had an enjoyable time on the ship though it made stops at all hours of the night. Was also a bit of a strange experience to have your room steward also serve you dinner in the restaurant. This was before hurtigruten really made a push into cruising and launched new ships, so I'm sure it's quite different on those vessels. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yesterday, at the port of Hanningsvag, we took the excursion called The North Cape Transfer.  This is the same excursion we took last year at this port and the only excursion we have repeated on this second trip to Norway with Seabourn in consecutive summers.  

One our way to the North Cape, we saw many reindeer--many more than last year.  We also observed tents put up by the reindeer herding Sami.  Sami, as you probably know, are an indigenous group that stretch across northern Scandanavia.  They have suffered discrimination in the past, but currently have protections as well as the assurance that only they can herd reindeer.  

The Sami man in the native costume works as a dentist in Tromso during other parts of the year.  We saw him here last year!

We did notice that the tundra is much greener with thicker grass this year.  Our guide explained that by July the grass has had longer to grow.  She said she can already see signs autumn in the colors of the vegetation.  

IMG_2172.jpg

Image (23).jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 9

Posted (edited)

At the North Cape, there is a very modern visitor's center as well as a well known globe monument marking the importance of the North Cape.  Why is the North Cape important?  It is special because it marks the northernmost piece of inhabited land with no humans living between it and the North Pole.  The scenery at The North Cape is dramatic and awe inspiring.  It is a place which encourages contemplation and marvel at the diversity and beauty of Earth.  

The  ACTUAL most northern piece of land in Europe is a small point of land included in the photos below.  Our guide told us that it is a three hour hike to the tip of the this small peninsula and a three hour hike back.  

If you take this excursion, do NOT overlook watching the superb video in the Visitors Center.  It is about 15 minutes long and shows The North Cape during all four seasons of the year.  It's a beautiful film.  We've watched it twice now.  It is wroth your time.  

By the way, the weather at The North Cape this year was exceptionally warm!  Last year, we had on all of our layers and our stocking caps.  This year, not even a sweater was needed.  

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2214 (1).JPG

IMG_2220 (1).JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2205 (1).jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)

Last night, we dined yet again at Earth and Ocean.  It remains our favorite restaurant on the ship.  We have gotten a bit tired of the very slow service in the dining room AND we knew that at around 8:30pm, we would be sailing around the piece of land that is the northernmost European land on the continent.  Also, the weather was great.  

We have yet to be disappointed in the menu items at Earth and Ocean.  The food is very imaginative.  It's not for everyone.  If you are a meat and potatoes sort of person who needs to know exactly what you are eating--Earth and Ocean is probably not for you.  That's ok!  It just means more tables for the rest of us!  

We had a fabulous duck dish last night.  

The photos show various plates on our table last night along with a photo of Mr. SLSD and me as we sailed around that important peninsula that seems like it is the end of the Earth.  

IMG_4765.jpg

IMG_4766.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 12

Last night's entertainment was a group flown into the airport at Tromso to join the ship for these next few days.  They are called The Dutch Tenors.  We enjoyed listening to them.  

IMG_4810.jpg

• Like 4

Today is a sea day, so it is a rather lazy day for us.  We slept late, had room service breakfast and have spent some time in the Observation Lounge reading, catching up on this thread, and gazing out at the sea.  Tomorrow will be much the same.  We'll have lunch in The Restaurant and go to tea at 4pm.  Dinner tonight is undecided.  It's a hard choice.  There is Formal Night in The Restaurant with an interesting tasting menu OR the fabulous Rib-eye steak at Earth and Ocean.  It's a First World problem as one of our friends on the ship just pointed out.  Tonight's entertainment is the Seabourn Singers and Dancers.  The two singers will be singing love songs.  We'll either go to hear that or go to the Observation Bar and ask Damian to make us Chimayo Cocktails.  We'll have to tell him what to mix, but I think he will agree that it is a good drink.  

I forgot to mention that late yesterday afternoon, there was an ABBA sailaway with the quartet.  Appetizers of caviar were served on round rice crackers.  

Also, another cruiser told me that he and his group thoroughly enjoy an excursion which included crab fishing on RIB boats.  I don't know the details, but if you have Honningsvag on your itinerary, you might take a look at that excursion.   I would find it very hard to give up going to The North Cape however.  

• Like 4

@SLSD

Just in case you're seriously considering Hurtigruten,  they have a relatively new competitor.  Havlia Kystruten looks a tad more upscale though.  Saw them pass each other when we were there in June.

On another note please consider limiting so many positive Earth and Ocean posts.  Don't want the word to get out. 😁

20240606_210357.thumb.jpg.e8c6a6db9b8d60be02a8707c730ff758.jpg

20240606_211734.thumb.jpg.1e890f17a222f940588fae46a3c85403.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

@SLSD

Just in case you're seriously considering Hurtigruten,  they have a relatively new competitor.  Havlia Kystruten looks a tad more upscale though.  Saw them pass each other when we were there in June.

On another note please consider limiting so many positive Earth and Ocean posts.  Don't want the word to get out. 😁

20240606_210357.thumb.jpg.e8c6a6db9b8d60be02a8707c730ff758.jpg

20240606_211734.thumb.jpg.1e890f17a222f940588fae46a3c85403.jpg

Ah!  We saw one of the Havila Kystruten ships at Honnigsvag and didn't know what it was!  

And yes, I worry about creating a following for Earth and Ocean.  I do know that it is very popular on warm weather cruises--and for good reason.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 6:22 AM, lincslady said:

The only bit of the Square which often seems like a quiet zone is at the aft end, where  the reclining chairs are. Otherwise I am sure it is meant to be social, obviously not too noisy, which applies to you you and most passengers.

May “seem” like it, but, there is no quiet zone. It is a social area. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2024 at 10:44 AM, SLSD said:

Our doctors do not hesitate to prescribe Covid if we are going on a trip.  They prescribed it for us last year as well as this year.  My doctor said it is not in short supply and is readily available.  He prescribes it like he would any other medication that a traveling patient might need.  My husband's doctor is at a medical school, while my doctor is a solo practitioner in the same city.  We are both long time patients of our doctors.  

What other medications does your dr prescribe for you when traveling 

I ask not to be nosy, but, an idea of what I should ask my dr

Edited by purpleally

17 minutes ago, purpleally said:

What other medications does your dr prescribe for you when traveling 

I ask not to be nosy, but, an idea of what I should ask my dr

Paxlovid is the only one we have asked for as we were aware it would be very expensive on the ship.  The ship DOES have it by the way.  Others might ask their doctor for an anti-viral if you are traveling in flu season.  But, that would require testing for flu.  Most of us do have Covid tests now, but not flu tests--that I am aware of.  Other than these, you would just want to take your usual medications.  Some might ask for an anti-biotic, but as these can be overused, I wouldn't personally do that.  

• Like 1

Seabourn certainly knows how to make lemonade from lemons.  Last night we were treated to what is arguably the BEST show we have have ever seen on a Seabourn ship.  One of the Seabourn singers became ill and Robert and some of the performers put together an impromptu 
"variety show" mid afternoon to be performed just a few hours later.  And what a show it was!

It began with Robert, our cruise director, singing several of his favorite songs--from opera to musical theater.  Robert has a wonderful voice and presence on stage.  He was followed by John Barron, the corporate cruise director, who also sings beautiful and is quite the performer.  Two of the Seabourn dancers, Oleg and Yuliana, were next.  They are exceptional dancers and so much fun to watch.  They have true talent and I know they have worked hard for years to reach near perfection in their dancing.  After the dancers, the Seabourn Singer Daniel performed several of his favorite songs--showing us what he can do.  He has an amazing voice.  

We are still talking about this show this morning--it was THAT good!  I do wish we could see more shows like this one!  

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you for your posts and pictures @SLSD.  We did the Norway part of this last August and it brings back great memories (I just need to forget about the bit of having no luggage for 6 days of the cruise!).

We actually did the King Crab on a RIB, it was a fantastic trip, despite driving rain.   We caught the crab, then we were taken somewhere to cook and eat it.  It was just delicious, but not for anyone who doesn't like seeing something alive, but then eating it!.  Here I am (gingerly) holding the crab!

As far as attire in the MDR, I will carry on dressing up as I always do, dressing down somewhat for Earth & Ocean which we love!

IMG20230812141721.jpg

• Like 5

Today is another (planned) day at sea on our way to Loen/Olden, Norway  where we will be tomorrow.  The seas are moderately rough with little white bags stationed at the elevators.  We have taken appropriate precautions.  We had breakfast on the pool deck--probably not the best day for that--but is what we did.  I had watermelon, a small slice of a vegetable quiche, and a muffin.  The deck was rather wet as the swimming pool has sloshed with the rough seas and draining of the pool was underway.  

At 10am, Mr. SLSD an I took a bridge tour.  We try to do this tour each time we sail as there is always something new to learn--and today was no exception, true in part because of the excellent explanations of First Officer Joseph Bailey who is in his 10th year of study/experience as a seaman.  He impressed me with his ready knowledge and his ability to explain things so clearly.

One small tip:  If you miss the sign up for the Bridge Tour because you missed the announcement for it in the Herald, don't despair.  Call Guest Services and  politely ask if there will be additional tours  Chances are quite good that more tours will be added and your name will be on the list.  

IMG_2250 (1).jpg

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2287 (1).JPG

IMG_2288.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mauzac said:

Thank you for your posts and pictures @SLSD.  We did the Norway part of this last August and it brings back great memories (I just need to forget about the bit of having no luggage for 6 days of the cruise!).

We actually did the King Crab on a RIB, it was a fantastic trip, despite driving rain.   We caught the crab, then we were taken somewhere to cook and eat it.  It was just delicious, but not for anyone who doesn't like seeing something alive, but then eating it!.  Here I am (gingerly) holding the crab!

As far as attire in the MDR, I will carry on dressing up as I always do, dressing down somewhat for Earth & Ocean which we love!

IMG20230812141721.jpg

Your photo from last year looks like fun!

The only concession Mr SLSD has made to more casual dressing in the MDR is not wearing his bow tie except on Formal Night. He always wears a jacket.  No judgment on those who do not.  I am just reporting. 

I am also dressing the same as always in the evenings.  For me, there is a lot of black--silk pants, silk top, scarves, shawls, some dresses,  etc. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

The Day at Sea continued with another great lecture/conversation from Jennifer Eremeeva.  She is a very crisp, clear speaker who has a lot to offer.  I haven't been to every single one of her presentations, but try to go to most of them. 

Lunch was in The Restaurant and it was well attended as the weather is bad.The Colonnade and Patio (where it was cold and wet) were the only other venues.  I enjoyed my crisp green salad, while Mr. SLSD had lentil soup (which is not very photogenic).  Our entrees were Pork Loin for me and Rainbow Trout for him.  We both enjoyed a small piece of cherry cake.  

At 4pm, we went to tea in the Observation Lounge.  A strong rain has been falling for much of the afternoon and the seas are still rough.  Tonight's Dance Party has been moved to The Club from The Patio.  

IMG_2289.JPG

IMG_4881.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

Image (24).jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

Right now, we are sailing through the Nordfjord on our way to Loen/Oden.  I came up to the Observation Lounge a bit before 6am this morning to enjoy the view and plan to stay for the next hour or so.  The photos I take with my Iphone cannot do justice to the beautiful views.  

Some men came up here still in their pajama bottoms.  There are probably about 15 people up here enjoying the view with more arriving all the time.  Pastries/coffee/tea being served as they are every early morning here.  

IMG_2306.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

We have already had a great day and it is only 9:15am here.  We spent a couple of hours in the Observation Lounge enjoying the sail in and then had a leisurely breakfast in The Restaurant.  

We are taking an early afternoon excursion, so there is more beautiful scenery to come.  All four of the excursions at this port are sold out.  Perhaps more could have been offered.  I notice that some of the excursions offered last year are not offered now.  For example, I don't see an excursion that includes a trip to the Geirangerfjord.  We did that tour last year and it was spectacular.  There do appear to be some great sights in store for those on the Scenic Nordfjord tour.  We'll be going to Lake Stryn and the Jostedal National Park.  

Below are just a few of the photos from outside the Observation Lounge taken early this morning.  

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2353.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

Last night, The Restaurant opened at 6:45pm instead of at the usual 7:00pm in an attempt to help the kitchen keep up with demand and speed up service--which had been very slow. Evidently, the issue had been everyone arriving for dinner around the same time and the kitchen being overwhelmed.  So, by the time we arrived for dinner, many had been served and service was substantially faster than it has been during our entire cruise.  Both of us enjoyed the veal medallions as our main course.  I had a napoleon for dessert.  There were the usual petit fors as well.  

IMG_4888.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

IMG_4890.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 6

Two more photos from this wonderful morning on Sojourn.  But, you really have to be here to appreciate the incredible beauty of this place.  

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

• Like 5

hi

i just want to thank you for the wonderful pictures and comments. we will be sailing on the sojourn in october which will be our first seaborn cruise after 45 others including azamara, windstar and oceania.

at first we planned on avoiding the formal nights but then decided we might be missing out on something so i opted to buy a sportcoat. not a huge concession.

very much looking forward to this cruise as it includes only small ports in italy, france, and spain rather than large cities.

again thank you. i gleaned several tips to make our experience better.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SLSD said:

Right now, we are sailing through the Nordfjord on our way to Loen/Oden.  I came up to the Observation Lounge a bit before 6am this morning to enjoy the view and plan to stay for the next hour or so.  The photos I take with my Iphone cannot do justice to the beautiful views.  

Some men came up here still in their pajama bottoms.  There are probably about 15 people up here enjoying the view with more arriving all the time.  Pastries/coffee/tea being served as they are every early morning here.  

IMG_2306.jpg

Not sure why they couldn’t get dressed first!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2