Which Transatlantic Do You Prefer?

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone for your input. All good advice. I decided to book the west-bound TA on Allure in October 2025. Put my deposit down today. Booked starboard despite the advice that port side gets more sun, only because I've become accustomed to having a room on the starboard side, and it's easier to get my bearings. 

I like the suggestion of booking the hotel for the night before arrival so you can check in right away. I'll consider that when I book my hotel.

On another note, does anyone know how to release a courtesy hold on a sailing you no longer want? I put one on the odyssey sailing for that same month, and I hate to be tying up a room for 5 days simply because it won't let me cancel the hold. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

On 7/29/2024 at 10:20 AM, Teeara said:

We loved our WB TA on Wonder in 2022.  Loved those extra 25 hour days.  Since we flew in 3 days ahead we were able to get over the worst of the jet lag before boarding the ship.  We've booked the Allure WB TA for 2025.  The only change is that I booked a hotel for the night we are flying so that when we arrive in Barcelona we can check in right away and take a little nap before heading out for the day.  When we arrived in 2022 we weren't able to check in until after 3pm and we were exhausted by that point. 

I don’t sleep on planes, so when we fly to Europe what works for us is we stay up when we get there, and go right out so we stay awake. We don’t sleep until at least 8pm the day we arrive, and yes, we’re exhausted.  BUT what that does for us is when we wake up the next day we’re totally on their time, no jet lag ever. Our first couple of trips to Europe we napped and it screwed us up for longer than that first day when we a bit tired.

I like your way too, it just doesn’t work for us. We’ll be flying back to Rome end of Oct for our Odyssey TA back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I decided to book the west-bound TA on Allure in October 2025.

Nice choice! We're on that one also. Booked it right when it was released. We had originally booked the post Amplification TA on Allure back in 2020, so this is sort of a "make up" 🙂 

Pop over to the roll call and say 'hi'.  

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 6:07 AM, lovesthebeach2 said:

I don’t sleep on planes, so when we fly to Europe what works for us is we stay up when we get there, and go right out so we stay awake. We don’t sleep until at least 8pm the day we arrive, and yes, we’re exhausted.  BUT what that does for us is when we wake up the next day we’re totally on their time, no jet lag ever. Our first couple of trips to Europe we napped and it screwed us up for longer than that first day when we a bit tired.

I have only flower to Europe twice, but did this both times, as I do not sleep on planes either for the most part.  So after dinner, I shower and go to sleep and I am ready to go the next day.  I also stay hydrated, by getting water (suggestion from my BIL) every time drinks are offered, and even asking for more in between.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 2:48 AM, ARandomTraveler said:

Thanks everyone for your input. All good advice. I decided to book the west-bound TA on Allure in October 2025. Put my deposit down today. Booked starboard despite the advice that port side gets more sun, only because I've become accustomed to having a room on the starboard side, and it's easier to get my bearings. 

I like the suggestion of booking the hotel for the night before arrival so you can check in right away. I'll consider that when I book my hotel.

On another note, does anyone know how to release a courtesy hold on a sailing you no longer want? I put one on the odyssey sailing for that same month, and I hate to be tying up a room for 5 days simply because it won't let me cancel the hold. 

Welcome aboard!!!  Come join our roll call for the Allure WB TA.  

• Like 1