Which is the sunny side

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

Sorry POSH has nothing whatever to do with Europe to America sailings.

Correct, it doesn’t. But it’s a handy mnemonic when booking TAs (as long as you remember that “home” is Europe). 😊

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Correct, it doesn’t. But it’s a handy mnemonic when booking TAs (as long as you remember that “home” is Europe). 😊

so your suggestion is to use POSH on:

1) a route it wasn't designed for

2) for exactly the opposite reason for which it was designed

3) on a sailing which typically has 80% Americans/Canadians i.e. passengers who are going home. 🤣 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

so your suggestion is to use POSH on:

1) a route it wasn't designed for

2) for exactly the opposite reason for which it was designed

3) on a sailing which typically has 80% Americans/Canadians i.e. passengers who are going home. 🤣 

My suggestion is that people use whatever works for them. I am fully aware of the actual origin of POSH, so it’s easy for me to remember that “home” means the UK.  It’s a very simple mnemonic and it works for me on TAs to or from Europe. 

Gosh! I never expected a discussion about POSH…I obviously know nothing of its origins…

To me, it was simply something I had heard on travel programmes that in the old days of ocean liners if you were rich you could afford to travel from the old world to the new in the rooms facing the sun…Port out Starboard home, you were Posh.

Cruisestitch, thank you for my morning puzzle, finding out what a backronym is!

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I had the same query.....where is 'home' and decide from there.

3 hours ago, chemmo said:

Gosh! I never expected a discussion about POSH…I obviously know nothing of its origins…

To me, it was simply something I had heard on travel programmes that in the old days of ocean liners if you were rich you could afford to travel from the old world to the new in the rooms facing the sun…Port out Starboard home, you were Posh.

Cruisestitch, thank you for my morning puzzle, finding out what a backronym is!

Now you know the true origin of POSH you might be interested in the following.

John Maxtone-Graham was the best Beyond the Podium Speaker I have heard and an absolute master of his subject "Cruising and Liners".

Although John died a few years ago his talks live on in the memory of anyone who had the privilege to hear him speak. He walked onto to the music of the Dam Busters arriving at the centre of the stage as the tune reached it's dramatic crescendo. Speaking without notes his style was entertaining and informative.

Who knew that one of the most popular games on early cruises was two teams (each with male and female members) passing a lit cigarette from mouth to mouth? For women to be seen smoking in public at the time was an absolute no.

or

that passengers boarding in New York carried crates of beer because the onboard prices were too high?

John wrote a number of books on Cruising and Liners the best of which are "The Only Way to Cross" and "Liners to the Sun". Although out of print both are available "Second Hand" through Amazon and I highly recommend them too you and anyone else who is interested in how Liners have changed into Cruisers.

• Like 1