Behind the Scenes tour on the Seashore

mushroom

I want to do this onboard experience - visiting behind the scenes - but the tour description lists the activity level as "strenuous".  If you've done this tour can you explain a bit more about what amount of physical activity is involved?  I sure would appreciate it.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I want to do this onboard experience - visiting behind the scenes - but the tour description lists the activity level as "strenuous".  If you've done this tour can you explain a bit more about what amount of physical activity is involved?  I sure would appreciate it.  

giphy.gif

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, mushroom said:

If like other ships, there is lots of walking and climbing stairs involved 

3 hours ago, SailorfromBrazil said:

I really wish there was an engineering tour (including the engines) available!

That would be great - the documentary on the Seaside (IIRC) was fascinating in that respect.

9 hours ago, mushroom said:

We did the behind the scenes tour on Seashore last week. There are two separate ones or a combined bridge, engineering, laundry and kitchens done on two separate days. We did the combined tour. First tour was on a sea day, second tour was the second morning at Ocean Cay. There were a lot of steep steps going down to the laundry area which for some folks might be a challenge, you have to go both ways. We did enjoy the tours and thought it was well worth the money.

Really gives you a good look at what it takes to run a large ship and how hard the folks work you never see. The ship bakes all of its own bread and makes all of the pasta. The dry and cold stores are huge. Never seen so many sacks of rice and flour. You are given a list of what the ship uses in one week for food and beverage, amazing. I was amazed that the sheets used on the ship are replaced every two months due to the constant washing. The sheet drying machine that folds the sheets was cool. Towels are also auto folded. Small hand towels are folded by hand, 5-8 men at a station spend a lot of time folding your wash clothes and face towels, discarding the stained towels which go to the cleaning staff and engine room to use. As a side note, it can be hard to understand each of the officers/department heads explaining how everything works in each area. English is not their first language and it was hard to understand some of the descriptions on how everything worked, especially in the noisy areas of the laundry and kitchen. Every department head/officer were great and you could tell they were proud of their areas. Every area we visited was super clean!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, eagletwo said:

We did the behind the scenes tour on Seashore last week. There are two separate ones or a combined bridge, engineering, laundry and kitchens done on two separate days. We did the combined tour. First tour was on a sea day, second tour was the second morning at Ocean Cay. There were a lot of steep steps going down to the laundry area which for some folks might be a challenge, you have to go both ways. We did enjoy the tours and thought it was well worth the money...

I did this last fall on a different line (CCL), sounds very similar  - steep stairs and all.

Do you mind telling us what you paid and where did you sign up?

10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I did this last fall on a different line (CCL), sounds very similar  - steep stairs and all.

Do you mind telling us what you paid and where did you sign up?

We pre-booked on-line for one tour $46 (laundry and kitchen) as the other tour did not let you know what day it would take place. Once on board, we went to the YC concierge desk and added to second tour and paid the difference. I think it was $100 total pp.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2024 at 8:09 AM, eagletwo said:

We pre-booked on-line for one tour $46 (laundry and kitchen) as the other tour did not let you know what day it would take place. Once on board, we went to the YC concierge desk and added to second tour and paid the difference. I think it was $100 total pp.

How far in advance were you able to book online for this?  And does it show up under excursions?  Thank you in advance.