Are We Really a Legendary Cruise

We are sailing on the Majestic Japan cruise which we booked as a 53 day cruise and I seem to recall Holland described as a Legendary Cruise.

I now see Holland has broken down some of our cruise into segments. One segment is 19 days at the beginning of our 53 day cruise and another segment of 34 days at the end.

So here is my question: If a legendary cruise must meet a certain number of days 28 or so (not sure of the exact #) I think was mentioned, then for the 19 day segment do we fall out of Legendary status (so none of these special perks that have been mentioned for longer cruises) and bounce back into Legendary status only when the 34 day segment starts?  Thinking back on a long cruise we booked that was also subsequently broken down and sold as segments we noticed the little special perks usually associated with the long cruises were not consistent throughout the entire cruise....UMMMM

Any thoughts fellow cruisers?

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.3bf505c88ffc73c41d22f7d9aac23b46.png

Above is a list of legendary cruises for 2025/26.

Here's a link that doesn't need incognito to recognize  (thanks to POA)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/PDFs/2025-2026-HAL-Legacy-Voyages-Planner-052424.pdf

I don't believe number of days is the rational for a legendary cut off as there is a 25 night cruise listed as legendary.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I wish I was on this cruise, and wouldn't be concerned at all about whether it was considered “Legendary” or “Majestic”, or just a “Vacation”.

(Although for a 53-day itinerary, I prefer their South Pacific island tour to one that goes to Japan and back).

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 1

this is the 2024 Majestic Japan and is described as Legendary in a press release on Holland website  it says...

Guests will enjoy special culinary experiences and interactive opportunities with Chef Morimoto while he is on board the Legendary Voyage

Seattle, Wash., July 23, 2024 — Guests cruising on Holland America Line’s “Majestic JapanLegendary Voyage are in for an exclusive experience when Fresh Fish Ambassador Chef Masaharu Morimoto joins Westerdam to visit his hometown of Hiroshima, Japan. Chef Morimoto will be on board a portion of the 53-day cruise from Sept. 24–30, 2024, offering special experiences, a culinary demonstration and a “Coffee Chat” where guests will get to know the chef in a more intimate environment.

• Thanks 1

It is not unusual for HAL to offer portions of long cruises including the World Cruise.  It doesn't diminish the experience.  We have taken two half World Cruises; once from Ft Lauderdale to Hong Kong and once from Hong Kong to Ft Lauderdale.  We weren't treated differently than those who took the full cruise.  Earlier this year we took a 33 day portion of the Seabourn Sojourn World Cruise, joining it at Sydney, Australia and departing at Keelung, Taiwan.  So other cruise lines do the same thing.

Ray

• Like 1

When legendaries were first introduced they said they would not be sold in segments as grands are. Additionally legendaries were specifically designed to be approximately 30 days as it was deemed the sweet spot.

I suppose the marketing has been so successful they changed their minds.  

• Like 6

I have done the 25 day ceuise that was designated legendary and a 25 day one that wasnt designated as legendary.   Saw absolutely no difference.   Both were great cruises.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, retird said:

I have done the 25 day ceuise that was designated legendary and a 25 day one that wasnt designated as legendary.   Saw absolutely no difference.   Both were great cruises.

Did the non-legendary cruise serve unlimited lobster tail at the buffet every gala night? How complimentary about ice cream socials? Chocolate on the pillow every night? Fancy canvas bags? Just trying to figure out what I can expect on my non-legendary 22 night cruise. 

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Did the non-legendary cruise serve unlimited lobster tail at the buffet every gala night? How complimentary about ice cream socials? Chocolate on the pillow every night? Fancy canvas bags? Just trying to figure out what I can expect on my non-legendary 22 night cruise. 

We always treat our Cruises as legendary. Our bed made daily. Food choices galore. No need to run to Publix for milk and bread if a snow storm is coming. Live Entertainment daily. A Bartender is always ready to mix one for you. No need to drive the car or gas it up. Wonderful. 

Your question is not stupid. What I think is after reading the above the crew treats this as just another day on the seas. Have a great time in Japan. We loved it.... 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kansas2018 said:

Any thoughts fellow cruisers?

• Any 'dam ship cruise I am on is legendary.....
  • Officially named "legendary" or "world" usually mean twice the price of a regular long cruise and thus we steer clear for now

Agree  All cruises are legendary in terms of a wonderful vaca  :).

Those of us who have paid a bit extra for an itinerary classified as Legendary are just curious what additional benefits we can expect.. 

The legendary I was on last year had quite a few extra little perks. Not enough to make me book a legendary if it wasn't the itinerary I was after, but enough to make us feel a bit more special (and yes, all cruises are special). 

That's why I was a bit surprised when retird stated there was no difference between 'legendary' and 'non-legendary' he was on. l hope this isn't another are where HAL becomes inconsistent. 

And before anyone says it, I get this is just first world curiosity

• Like 3

I understand that Legendary Voyages have unique itineraries with some additional speakers, but are there any other significant differences?  Are the menus unique? Is the dress code the same?  Are there traditional formal nights?  Any additional information would be appreciated.

According to HAL....A Legendary Voyage is:

25- to 59-day itineraries
Region-spanning journeys such as 
Voyage of the Vikings and

Glaciers & Volcanoes: Alaska to Hawaii

Carefully crafted itineraries featuring rare and renowned ports across the globe

Special onboard experiences that enhance the story of each destination

Overnight stays in top ports, including Reykjavík, Honolulu, and Tahiti, plus less-traveled destinations such as Moorea and Manaus

• Like 2

Our family's seven-day June 22 ms Eurodam Alaska cruise was during the Legendary 28-day Alaska Solstice cruise on ms Westerdam.     I could not help but compare the two cruises.  Naturally they visited more ports and had more speakers.  This is what I shared with their Roll Call:

We had great food.  Daily French Onion Soup, Caesar Salad, and salmon.  No dinner vegetable of the day, no coffee/tea offered after dinner.  You had upscale menus with some better choices, especially the daily cheese plate and the liquid desert.

We had many new cruisers (less complimentary laundry), resulting in same day laundry service.  $25 a bag.  You were charged $35 a bag.

We received traditional tiles, you also got larger legendary tiles.

On our two dressy nights, we received the square chocolates and small towel animals.  Our pretty shopping bag was plastic.  Yours were special canvas.

Barbara 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I just stole this from a Legendary roll call.  Interesting details, but different Legendary cruises might have different details???

“DRESSY On these evenings, we take it up a notch and recommend slacks, skirts, dresses, blouses, collared shirts and jackets.”

This is what they have been handing out for Legendary Voyages:

“LEGENDARY VOYAGES:

PARTIES & THEME NIGHTS

It’s almost time to set sail! Make sure you’re ready to enjoy the parties and theme nights planned during

your Legendary Voyage.

THEMED EVENTS

A LEGENDARY BALL

COSTUME PARTY

MASQUERADE

ORANGE PARTY

With additional holiday themed events

based on voyage dates.

Throughout the voyage, we welcome guest presenters and

performers hailing from the regions we visit, enriching your

experience by delving into local cultures and histories. Along with

our Sports Director, Art & Craft Instructor and Activity Hosts, we’re

bringing additional experts to help you make the most of your time

on this Legendary Voyage :

• A resident priest, minister and rabbi holding services regularly

• ACBL sanctioned Bridge Instructor”

Thank you, edQ73.

Barbara

Edited by bcummin
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I understand that Legendary Voyages have unique itineraries with some additional speakers, but are there any other significant differences?  Are the menus unique? Is the dress code the same?  Are there traditional formal nights?  Any additional information would be appreciated.

14 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Thanks, but my security software won't let me open this file.

This link should work for you (thanks again @POA1)

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/marketing-assets/PDFs/2025-2026-HAL-Legacy-Voyages-Planner-052424.pdf

I sailed on a Legendary 35 night last year. I met a gal who was on an 18 night cruise immediately before ours who mentioned how different things were on the Legendary in terms of food offerings. This was confirmed by two different staff members I spoke with who eat in the lido. Both said that they had never seen Lobster offered as an all you can eat item in the Lido. The gentleman at the next cruise desk said that the budget for the legendary food had been increased substantially (not sure how true that was) but Prime Rib was served every 4/5 night. There were fresh grilled items nightly. Beef tenderloin on gala nights. There was two (three?) ice cream social events where the gelato station was turned into complementary ice cream with tons of toppings and fancy cones (ironically it wasn't gelato). Of course the fancy canvas bags. Chocolates on the pillow nightly. YumYum man for dinner. Classical Music Trio. We did have a Masquerade ball, orange party, St Pattys day party, and couple other themes that I forget (other than the orange party which was held in the Lido, the set up for a Pinnacle ship doesn't lend itself to great parties in the evenings). 

Some of these things maybe offered on a 'regular' cruise but I haven't sailed on a HAL regular cruise since covid and anything pre-covid is irrelevant. 

There wasn't anything on this Legendary that would make me go out of my way to book a legendary. If I like the itininary I'll book and if it's a legendary that's a little bonus. 

• Like 2

Here's a couple photos (I swear I posted these recently but can't find that thread).

Unlimited lobster (and there were people with massive piles on their plates). You can see beef tenderloin in the background. I think you may have read my live blog from tahiti last year and many of the lido menus were posted showing the added options.

image.png.d964b1a76e7c43968b0701f574ed40f3.png

And here's one of the ice cream social. It wasn't gelato but there were more ice cream toppings and fancy cones that I have every seen in my life!

image.thumb.png.7391a01f90fe42376432c3a435fa9251.png

Nice little extra touches, but nothing that would make me book a legendary just because it's a legendary. If it's a great itininary that comes with some legendary little extras that just sweetens the deal. 

On 7/30/2024 at 1:06 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Neither cruise had unlimited lobster;  Ice cream Socials ??;  had chocolate on pillow every night;  we each received a canvas bag.  However after spending a few thousand on each cruise, not sure chocolates and a canvas bag was that high on my list of things to enhance my experience.   The crew and fellow guests is what made both cruises enjoyable

Here is a somewhat "apples to apples" comparison of a "legendary/world" cruise vs a regular cruise.....This caused me pause a few weeks back as to why such a difference....

Regular cruise:

4/4/26 27 nights Ft Lauderdale to Rotterdam Balcony $4099 / $152 per day/ per person on Nieuw Statendam....12 ports

World cruise:

4/22/26 25 nights Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale Balcony $10,843 / $434 per day/ per person on Volendam....11 ports 

(I welcome folks to check my math...and the price source was the big, online TA we use)

I know, the ships are different, the ports are different....but how much will you pay for those extra pillow mints, extra lectures and supposed "better" food?  Obviously, some folks pay a lot more for the "legendary/world" cruise with the extra "perks". In this example, 185% more. Ouch. 

I just don't get it....but glad we have choices and hope everyone enjoys their cruise....whether it is labeled legenday/world or regular.....For us, right now, we are fine $$$ with a "regular" cruise......