Disappointing ballroom dancing on QM2.

Fox trotter

3 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

Actually two weeks in the Caribbean, not an especially charming itinerary, stretching my budget to the limit. It would have to something special to be worthwhile. Certainly not a few hours of mediocre music on a floor packed with non-dancers. It's very hard to find partners at my level- competent but not spectacular. Very few women are willing to put in any effort, those who do usually want to be a flamboyant star-of-the-show.

(Somewhat off-topic for D&N- nothing in Cote d'Azur? In Herault, even without a partner or a car when I visit, I've managed to find a couple of acceptable places. And I know of dance camps at Roquebrun-sur-Argens and Carqueiranne, for much less money than Cunard.)

Non dancers have as much right to be on the dance floor as so called competent ones. Queen’s room is open to all. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Dancer Bob.....Are you saying that there is a group of ballroom dancers on the March 15, 2025 Caribbean QM2 - 14 day voyage?

I am booked on that voyage but do not wish to go if there is a special group. I wonder if they will shut down some venues for private parties. How do I find this information.

Thanks.

I am sorry @oceansandseas but it looks like there may be a group. Google ‘dancers at sea’ and you will find a group that organizes cruises for dancers. It looks like the March15, 2025 on QM2 in the Caribbean is one they’re planning for their group. Whether or not they have areas shut down for their exclusive use is something I don’t know as we always check their schedule before we book so we have never cruised when they have been onboard.

Thanks Carnevale for your quick answer.   Since I posted I have been looking around and found that there is a group going on that voyage. I am so looking forward to that cruise as I have not been on a Cunard ship for quite awhile.

I would like to know how many there might be in the group. We have been on voyages a few times, on crossings, with a dance group. The Queen's Room floor is so crowded. Not as enjoyable.

Still a few weeks to final payment. Very disappointed. 

3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Non dancers have as much right to be on the dance floor as so called competent ones. Queen’s room is open to all. 

Thanks for this. As a non ballroom dancer as far as anything other than basic waltz steps I would imagine there are many, many passengers like me who might want to get up and give it a go. The 'floor' is mine just as it is for every other passenger should I pluck up the courage to give it a go.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Thanks for this. As a non ballroom dancer as far as anything other than basic waltz steps I would imagine there are many, many passengers like me who might want to get up and give it a go. The 'floor' is mine just as it is for every other passenger should I pluck up the courage to give it a go.

And as Solo Gentleman dancer , I'm always on hand to partner you  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

And as Solo Gentleman dancer , I'm always on hand to partner you  

Bell Boy? It's in the diary when/if our dates ever coincide but remember to pack your steel capped shoes! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We're obviously not going to meet on QM2, but we are essentially social dancers.

Last time we were still in pandemic and most folk were keeping to their own groups of friends.

Back in Scotland we would meet up with others at dance nights and everyone would pair up over the night. Some of the dancing might not have been great because we were too busy catching up on each others news as we moved around the floor.

My wife is happy to sit out the odd dance for a rest and there's no reason why I can't dance basic stuff with ladies that lack a dance partner.

• Like 2

Wow.  So I am taking my niece on a QM TA next year.  Is there a place for us to dance and enjoy ourselves?  This talk of ballroom sounds like a place we should avoid?  We’re obviously not going to fox trot together around a dance floor, I don’t think either one of us even knows what a fox trot is.  Is there a place for us to dance and have some fun after dinner?  

4 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

Wow.  So I am taking my niece on a QM TA next year.  Is there a place for us to dance and enjoy ourselves?  This talk of ballroom sounds like a place we should avoid?  We’re obviously not going to fox trot together around a dance floor, I don’t think either one of us even knows what a fox trot is.  Is there a place for us to dance and have some fun after dinner?  

Plenty of opportunities for dancing other than Ballroom/Latin , the QM2 ballroom offers other evenings of party music ,plus there is the after hour night club known as G32. 

Not too sure why the need to avoid 'the ballroom dancers' or, the magnificent venue ( QM2 boasts the biggest ballroom at sea)

You'll be passing through this venue en-route to the G32 take time out to sit there and enjoy a drink before exploring the G32.  You never know,  you and your niece might learn something 💃🕺 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

The Queens Room will play other music on certain nights, and at other times throughout the evening when there is ballroom dancing. For a flavour of some of the music that could feature in the Queens Room, check out: https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/activity-types/evening/queens-room-music-nights

You should get a mix of everything from disco to 70's, 80's and movie soundtrack covers. 

There is also the G32 club which you access through the Queens Room. https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/activity-types/bars-and-lounges/g32

Those are your best options for dancing, although for non-dancing there will also be singers / entertainment in the Golden Lion Pub, and other live performers around the ship. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

I don’t do dancing of any sort, but would never dismiss those who enjoy ballroom dancing, nor imply it might not be fun. But there is somewhere called G32 where other stuff is available. Also, there are usually dancing lessons, which are pretty popular, so you and your niece could go and learn what a foxtrot is, and who knows, have a lot of fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CPs4591 said:

In recent voyages, there has been a move by Cunard to vary the music themes in the Queens Room. You may find a Motown or Disco night theme for part of the night’s dancing during a Crossing. We also had a fun Beatlemania band in QR, but not on QM2. As stated, the G32 nightclub right behind the QR, offers regular “wedding dance” music to a live band or DJ, silent disco, and karaoke nights too. Your niece will probably have more fun in G32 and, depending on her age and interests, hanging out in the Golden Lion pub with some lively and sing-along pub music. The Commodore Club is a favorite but may be too mellow for her. 
To sum - the recent dance music theme changes by Cunard seem to be severe enough to elicit concern from die-hard ballroom dancers.

• Like 2