Passport cards for Princess cruises

On 8/1/2024 at 11:47 AM, Cruise Raider said:

This is for US citizens:  
I believe you will have to get a certified copy of your birth certificate, as well and you can use the passport card as your government issued ID.  
Just be very careful as not every port in the Caribbean accepts anything less than a passport.  And in case of an emergency, if you need to fly home from one of your ports, you will need a passport card

You should have stopped typing at passport.

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2024 at 8:34 AM, satxdiver said:

It always amazes me on how people pay big $$$ on a cruise and then try to find ways to get around paying for a passport.  EU people seem to not have a problem as most have one but here in the USA people seem to gag on getting one.  Simply get one and factor in the cost of the cruise.  Passports will allow one to travel the world by ship or air.  So get one now. 

I think one of the reasons that people in Europe usually have a passport is because it's so easy to go to a different country...short flight, maybe a short drive and you're in a different country.

In the US, we have 2 choices - Mexico and Canada. For most of our population neither one is a short flight or drive.

Where I live, it's 2-3 hours to Mexico and a couple of days to get to Canada (driving).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I think one of the reasons that people in Europe usually have a passport is because it's so easy to go to a different country...short flight, maybe a short drive and you're in a different country.

In the US, we have 2 choices - Mexico and Canada. For most of our population neither one is a short flight or drive.

Where I live, it's 2-3 hours to Mexico and a couple of days to get to Canada (driving).

I don’t think that’s it. The minority of Aussies don’t baulk at getting passports. We need on to go anywhere and often need it for ID to do things in Australia (open a bank account). 

it’s something specific to Americans. Maybe worry about the government having your info? 

I have a friend whose daughter (Aussie) had to get married in Hawaii because the American Parents of the groom refused to get passports. The young couple live in Australia. 

Edited by paddingtonbear
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Remind me never to come to CC for passport advice. What a train wreck.

US Passports:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html

US Passport Cards:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/need-passport/card.html

Learn about your destination:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

Just go to the source, folks.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have both a passport book and passport card.  For what it's worth, on my last cruise from Alaska I showed my Passport Card and this lady gave me all these papers to fill out, I said "oh would it be easier to show you the passport book" and she said "yes, we don't have to do any of this paperwork if you have a book" - I'm not sure what the papers were cause I just got the book out and was on my way. 

I like having both - I keep the card in my wallet and I keep the passport book in my suitcase. If I lose one I have a backup! 

Posted (edited)

Passport cards are only useful if you cross the Mexican boarder or the Canadian boarder frequently. I wanted to apply for it when I was updating my DL to real ID. The clerk told me not to waist my money since I already had a passport. I don't live close to either boarder and if I were going to either place I would  know in advance to take my passport. The card is to keep in your wallet if you cross the boards frequently.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Posted (edited)

The people who don't wish to get a passport in the US would be very low.  I really don't know anyone who has resisted getting one.  Not sure anyone truly knows how many people resist.  These generalities slay me.  Cruise Critic only represents a very small number of cruisers.   

Image result for Resisting Passport Emoji. Size: 140 x 185. Source: www.emofaces.com

Edited by candy4040

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever got their passport this fast?  I mailed it with tracking on Aug 10.  The checks cleared on Aug 14.  When I went to the Passport Status website, it stated paperwork processed and cards are being printed will arrive on Aug 27.  It arrived today on Aug 22.   There was no rush on it and they stated it could take 6 to 8 weeks.  I was very surprised to receive it that fast.

• Like 3

On 8/3/2024 at 7:58 PM, candy4040 said:

The people who don't wish to get a passport in the US would be very low.  I really don't know anyone who has resisted getting one.

OK then.

If a US citizen (born in the States) is not traveling internationally, they don't really need a US passport. A naturalized citizen may need one just in case they lose the naturalization certificate, and those kids who automatically became US citizens when their parents naturalized may need one as proof of citizenship, especially if their parents didn't want to pay an ungodly amount for a certificate of citizenship. But other than that - I can why one would "resist" getting a US passport, if they never plan to travel overseas.

16 hours ago, yancycruiser said:

Has anyone ever got their passport this fast? 

yes. 2 week for our kid last December, no expediting.

On 8/3/2024 at 3:44 PM, paddingtonbear said:

I don’t think that’s it. The minority of Aussies don’t baulk at getting passports. We need on to go anywhere and often need it for ID to do things in Australia (open a bank account). 

it’s something specific to Americans. Maybe worry about the government having your info? 

I have a friend whose daughter (Aussie) had to get married in Hawaii because the American Parents of the groom refused to get passports. The young couple live in Australia. 

Let me search the internet for a story about how one Australian did something so I can make vast inferences about the entire population.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Stosh68 said:

Let me search the internet for a story about how one Australian did something so I can make vast inferences about the entire population.

https://blog.datawrapper.de/us-passport-increase/#:~:text=And for comparison%2C about 41,post-Brexit travel rules.)

Since 1990, the percentage of Americans who hold a valid passport has gone from 5% to 46%.

https://today.yougov.com/travel/articles/35414-only-one-third-americans-have-valid-us-passport

Only a third of American adults say they have a valid and unexpired U.S. passport (37%) 

And for comparison, about 41% of Germans say they have a valid passport,. the Canadian government estimates 70%,  82% of nonimmigrant residents of England and Wales hold a U.K passport. 

https://www.passports.gov.au/passport-facts-2022-23

53% of Australian’s have a valid passport.

I wasn't criticising Americans it is just that the population statistically have less passports than other countries. 

Edited by paddingtonbear
  • Like 1