Planning a retirement cruise that will cost over 20,000

Good morning I am traveling solo on Oceania next May for 33 days to celebrate my retirement.This is my far the most I have ever spent on any kind of vacation. The cost is compounded by the fact that even though I am traveling with friends I need to pay the solo cost. In the pastI have used Allianz annual insurance  when I priced out the cost of insuring just this trip the cost was astronomical. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. The medical and evacuation cost are foremost in importance thanks

Age and cost all come into play and when you are talking about $20K then you are going to pay a lot.

Can I please ask - what is astronomical to you?  What were you quoted?

If medical and evacuation are most important, then perhaps you should price a medical plan alone to see what that cost is so that you can then know what the additional cost is for trip cancellation and interruption.

Are you also insuring for CFAR?  If so this is expensive on its own as an add on.

We typically sail (as a couple) on cruises that can cost in excess of 20K and we expect to pay $1,400.00 + for that price of a cruise.

I personally don't think that there is a bargain insurance out there.  You get what you pay for.

If medical and evacuation are most important, then ensure that if you have any pre-existing conditions (anything you are taking medication for, any upcoming or scheduled tests, etc.) that you fully understand the coverage for these.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I personally don't think that there is a bargain insurance out there.  You get what you pay for.

This ^^.

Or more specifically, IF you found a "bargain price" (i.e., much much less than other policies), there's a very good chance that you are also getting "less coverage".

Now, you might actually *want* less coverage, as suggested by CDNPolar, but just recognize that for what it is.  It wouldn't be a bargain in a conventional sense.  You'd still be paying what the market generally considers to be a reasonable price for that specific type of coverage.  (Obviously, there are some policies priced better than others with similar coverages; I'm not   to that, which is unlikely to have dramatic differences.)

And as CDNPolar suggested, what is an "astronomical" amount for you?

You could call a broker and discuss the "coverage features" and "cost" tradeoffs, and see if you find a combination that works for you.

GC

On 8/1/2024 at 9:29 AM, gailellen12 said:

Good morning I am traveling solo on Oceania next May for 33 days to celebrate my retirement.This is my far the most I have ever spent on any kind of vacation. The cost is compounded by the fact that even though I am traveling with friends I need to pay the solo cost. In the pastI have used Allianz annual insurance  when I priced out the cost of insuring just this trip the cost was astronomical. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. The medical and evacuation cost are foremost in importance thanks

Hi gailellen12,

Trip cancellation insiurance is complicated. I'm doing a Q & A here on Cruise Critic for the Summer on 2024. It's worth you looking it over:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2724-cruise-insurance-qa-w-steve-dasseos-of-tripinsurancestorecom-summer-2024/

Steve Dasseos

I am planning a retirement cruise of 34 days as a solo traveler on Oceania. At over 20,000this will be by far my most expensive cruise. In the past I have taken out an annual policy as I was doing mostly short hop cruises. I have priced coverage of this cruise on an individual basis and it was around 4,000 At 76 I am primarily concerned about medical coverage and possible evacuation. How is the best way to proceed and what kind of coverage would be best. Thanks in advance. 

33 minutes ago, gailellen12 said:

I am planning a retirement cruise of 34 days as a solo traveler on Oceania. At over 20,000this will be by far my most expensive cruise. In the past I have taken out an annual policy as I was doing mostly short hop cruises. I have priced coverage of this cruise on an individual basis and it was around 4,000 At 76 I am primarily concerned about medical coverage and possible evacuation. How is the best way to proceed and what kind of coverage would be best. Thanks in advance. 

gailellen12, you posted this already on the other travel insurance section of CC.

GC

Just now, gailellen12 said:

Sorry. Was told to post it here by a moderator!

Did the moderator know you already posted it in the other travel insurance section?

The answers get confusing when there are 2 separate threads.

GC

@gailellen12

Your original new thread on the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum has been moved and then merged into your new thread on the Cruise Insurance Q&A w/ Steve Dasseos of Tripinsurancestore.com Summer 2024 temporary subforum. Due to the Cruise Critic software, all posts now appear in post date/time order in this newly merged thread.

Hope this will be helpful!

Happy sails,

Host Kat