First Time Cruiser - Just Returned!

Host Kat
This post was recognized by Host Kat!

"Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone in the community. We'd like to encourage you to submit your review for publication to Cruise Critic as well. For more information, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum and read the How To: Write & Submit a Member Review thread."

redleader74 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

So I just got back from our first cruise ever (and also our first time to Alaska ever) and I wanted to share some thoughts from the perspective of a first time cruiser.  This was with Holland America, onboard the Westerdam, departing Seattle for a 7 night Alaska cruise:

-    Cruising in general:  I heard so many people say, omg, I couldn’t cruise for more than a week, I’d be so bored!   My wife and I, on the other hand, could have used more time, as we say with every single trip we’ve ever been on, anywhere.  Even though Holland America seems to be more geared to a mature crowd, I still found many things enjoyable.. read on.
-    The shear novelty of living on a boat (ok, ship), with room, food, activities, and the view, was something I really enjoyed.  Though, on our very first night at sea, I decided to capitalize on our veranda room and stepped out onto the deck.  It was one of the more if not most, horrifying things I’ve ever witnessed:  a pitch black windy/howling sea, where you can’t see where the sea ends and where the sky begins, it was windy so the slithery wave crests floating by looked like spirits in the night.   But ahhh…when the waters were clam and the sun was setting or when we woke in the morning to find ourselves docked in a place we’d never been before….it was shear bliss.
-    Of all the places on the ship I loved most, it was the tucked away cozy little bars (such as the Ocean Bar), especially in the evenings, and also the Crows Nest.  Our 5 year old daughter learned to play chess there during our cruise.  She also really loved the art classes that were taught in one of the areas next to the Crows Nest.  Equipped with binoculars, I also enjoyed some fantastic whale watching from there.   I ordered a fantastic irish coffee from the bar there.  When the bartender asked me Bailey’s or Jameson? I knew I was in the right place.
-    Alaska’s natural beauty is stunning.  Nearly every place I’ve ever visited I always thought “I could see myself moving here” and the same was said for Alaska.  One thing I didn’t expect to see were all the Russian influences in places like Sitka and having been to Russia before, the visit brought back fond memories.
-    Many of you are seasoned cruisers I’m sure, but do you still remember that first time that you got to the terminal, to see that giant ship waiting for you?  The excitement!
-    Food was great, it was very, very hard not to overeat, whether it was the Lido buffet or the dining room.  And, most fortuitously, on our very last meal in the dining room, one of the dessert options was baked Alaska.   Naturally, I had to try it, having heard about it since I was child but never having actually seen it on a menu anywhere.  Imagine that, eating baked Alaska on an Alaskan cruise (too bad we  physically were not in Alaska by then, but rather, Victoria).  

I could go on for about another 10 pages but I just wanted to share with all of you who have collective in some way or another provided great advice and helpful tips leading to this trip.   We are now doing research for the next cruise!  Where to go? With which cruise line?  I’m pushing for a Cunard 80+ day around the world cruise…ok, one can dream!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, redleader74 said:

Though, on our very first night at sea, I decided to capitalize on our veranda room and stepped out onto the deck.  It was one of the more if not most, horrifying things I’ve ever witnessed:  a pitch black windy/howling sea, where you can’t see where the sea ends and where the sky begins, it was windy so the slithery wave crests floating by looked like spirits in the night.   But ahhh…when the waters were clam and the sun was setting or when we woke in the morning to find ourselves docked in a place we’d never been before….it was shear bliss

Loved your review, but this point stuck with me until the end...  your horrifying experience of the pitch black windy/howling sea.

We are all so different, because this is one of the things that I LOVE about ocean cruising.  Absolutely LOVE this experience.

Overall, happy that you loved the experience and hoping that you can do the 80+ day around the world cruise.  We are considering a 120'ish day world cruise now with Viking.

Glad you enjoyed your first (of many) cruise.

Our first cruise was to Alaska many years ago on the Volendam, round trip Vancouver.  We keep saying we should go back for a longer cruise to Alaska, but haven't made it yet.

• Like 1

@redleader74 Thank you for your review, it was lovely to hear about your first cruise. I do remember the excitement when we arrived at the port and saw our ship for the first time, We thought she was big though she was actually quite small, even by the standards of 2006!

• Like 1

Thanks for the wonderful review.  It is fun to read about a first cruise and the beginning of what sounds like a long future with the cruise industry.  We still get excited every time we walk up the gangway to get on a ship, but there is nothing quite like that first time adventure.  

Of course I will never forget that first time, which coincidentally was on the Westerdam, a year or so after she was built.  It was surreal, because I had to wait about 7 months and I think I lived on Cruise Critic, day and night until it was time to go.  And yes, I didn't think 7 days were long enough, but since then I have cruised on all different itineraries and sometimes 7 days are perfect, you'll see.  

Glad you had a nice time, I always enjoy sharing in the excitement of first time cruisers, which is why I pop in here every so often.  

• Like 2