Rental Card Toll Road Passes?

mattR

I noticed that Budget offered some type of toll road pass for about $18.   I will be taking the car from MCO to Bush Gardens then back to Orlando then to Port Canaveral.  What is the best way to deal with tolls? Post cruise I will take a rental from Port Canaveral back to Orlando area then to MCO the following day.

Another question is Budget wanted me to put in my flight number however I am not picking up the rental car till two days after flying in so put down not flying but now I see it depends on which airline as to which counter you go to for budget rental cars so which terminal do I go to since I marked not flying? 

Cool thanks how do I make sure the toll isn't being charged to the rental car aswell?  Is the rental car chipped for tolls or is it just from the license plate? 

Most rental car companies that have a toll program have the transponder installed within a metal box that is affixed to the windshield near the rear view mirror. If you're using the rental car company program, you slide the door open on that box and the toll gantry will bill the rental car company which bills you after the rental. As long as you keep that door closed, the toll gantry won't interact with that toll transponder. It will instead interact with the toll transponder provided to you by the visitor toll pass program. Just remember to return the visitor toll pass transponder at the conclusion of your rentals. Unlike the rental car company programs, the visitor toll pass program is free. No fees, they just bill your credit card for the tolls incurred.

Between MCO and Tampa there is just 1 toll plaza on SR528 if you take the airport's NORTH exit. If you travel to Tampa via SR417 and the airport's SOUTH exit, there are 3 toll plazas. All of them have manned booths if you want to pay cash. Have a transponder is faster though. I-4 is free as is I-75 in Tampa. Between MCO and Port Canaveral is via SR528 and there are 2 toll plazas. Use the airport's NORTH exit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Like the e-z pass I have from Massachusetts?  I thought that didn’t work in Florida? And where might I find information about the Visitor Toll Pass.  I know, I know.  Google is my friend!!

Edited by poocher

One less thing on my to do list.  DD confirmed Florida tolls are EZpass now (weren’t they Sun something before?) so my Mass. transponder will work.  Just have to remember to pack the darn thing!!

On 8/31/2024 at 11:11 AM, poocher said:

One less thing on my to do list.  DD confirmed Florida tolls are EZpass now (weren’t they Sun something before?) so my Mass. transponder will work.  Just have to remember to pack the darn thing!!

All Florida toll roads will carry the SunPass, E-PASS or LeeWay logo on them. LeeWay is only on Fort Myers area toll bridges while E-PASS is a product of the Central Florida Expressway Authority and thus only appear on Orlando area toll booths. SunPass is the statewide system appearing on toll roads and bridges from Pensacola to south of Miami. Regardless of how the toll facilities are labeled, they are all interoperable with each other and with E-ZPass from the northeast and midwest. So even though you won't see E-ZPass on the signs, E-ZPass works fine.

• Thanks 1

Yes on E-ZPass working in Florida, and newer SunPass Pro units working in the northeast.

Older SunPass, LeeWay etc transponders do not work on E-ZPass locations in the northeast. Your SunPass etc website accounts will tell you what model you have.

(Basically, the Pro model has additional circuitry which makes it compatible with the northeastern and midwestern systems.  I used my SunPass Pro in NY just fine last week.  Worked like a charm)

• Like 1

Is there the same thing to use for rental car in Miami instead of MCO? I googled it, and didn't see anything, just making sure I didn't miss it. We do not have tolls where we live so don't have the EZ Pass or anything like that.

Edited by quillwercruisers

2 hours ago, quillwercruisers said:

Is there the same thing to use for rental car in Miami instead of MCO? I googled it, and didn't see anything, just making sure I didn't miss it. We do not have tolls where we live so don't have the EZ Pass or anything like that.

No, the VTP is just at MCO. You can buy a SunPass transponder on Amazon.

• Thanks 1

At Miami Airport, you  leave the rental car center on a train or on public roads. If you choose to take the Don Shula Expressway instead of local roads, you will need some kind of Sun Pass or the rental car company's transponder.

At Orlando airport, I don't think you can get very far without getting on one of the toll roads. They are hard to avoid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cienfuegos said:

At Miami Airport, you  leave the rental car center on a train or on public roads. If you choose to take the Don Shula Expressway instead of local roads, you will need some kind of Sun Pass or the rental car company's transponder.

At Orlando airport, I don't think you can get very far without getting on one of the toll roads. They are hard to avoid.

Since they removed the toll plaza at the airport, it's toll-free to get to Sand Lake Rd., which would take one to I-4. Going north on Semoran is also simple. However, generally, it's worth it (at least to me) to pay a few bucks for the toll roads. Especially on vacation.

Edited by hrhdhd
  • Like 1

We used Visitor Toll Pass last month for a land vacation in Orlando.

We declined toll coverage on the rental car, picked up a pass at the airport kiosk (conveniently located across from the rental car desk), downloaded the app and registered, hung the pass on the rear view mirror, registered our rental car license plate in the app, and drove through the toll pass lanes. After five days, we spent less than $7 in tolls. We dropped the pass in the return tray at the rental car return. Easy-peasy. 

• Like 2