Port Arrival Time

We sail on NCL often, but have note seen this email before.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Embarkation Information

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We have important information regarding embarkation for your upcoming sailing with us. Travel Partners are asked to share the below information with impacted guests.

To avoid congestion at the port and ensure the smoothest embarkation possible, all guests are asked to arrive at the time selected during online check-in.

Please note,
all pre-selected arrival times will be strictly enforced; guests arriving prior to their pre-selected time will not be granted early entry.

For answers to frequently asked questions regarding the first day of your cruise, please download the pdf you'll find attached to this email.

If you are interested in booking pre-cruise transfers for your upcoming vacation, please contact us directly at 866.234.7350. Pre-cruise transfers must be secured up to four days before the cruise embarkation date. Guests residing outside of the U.S. or Canada should visit
NCL.com for local contact information.

As always, we are at your service and look forward to providing you with a truly memorable experience!

Sincerely,
Norwegian Cruise Line

I have received this email for the two cruises I have done this year. It has not changed anything at the port though: Noone has looked at my assigned arrival time (that I always try to respect so it wouldn't be an issue either way for me)

Just received this the other day for next week's sailing. Didn't receive it for May sailing. 

Can honestly say we have always been waved in or told keep walking, never had our papers looked at. Except once in Galveston on Carnival. We were put in the early line because we were 3 minutes early🙄

I am hoping it's a non issue. I checked myself and my husband in with the earliest boarding time. Somehow my husband's time has now been changed to 3 hours later than mine. Nevertheless, we will be arriving early. 

Out of over 15 sailings, I've only seen arrival times being enforced at embarkation once.  It seems that it has more to do with the local embarkation port and local employees, not the cruise line itself.

8 minutes ago, KDebreuil said:

Out of over 15 sailings, I've only seen arrival times being enforced at embarkation once.  It seems that it has more to do with the local embarkation port and local employees, not the cruise line itself.

I believe you are probably correct. I've seen it happen a couple of times, although I usually arrive at my time so might not be aware if they're enforcing it. But I'm not sure that the letter they are sending out is any indication, I've gotten it for my last couple of cruises.

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I believe you are probably correct. I've seen it happen a couple of times, although I usually arrive at my time so might not be aware if they're enforcing it. But I'm not sure that the letter they are sending out is any indication, I've gotten it for my last couple of cruises.

I don't really know.  My last NCL cruise embarked on July 1, 2024 and I did not receive any e-mail like the one above.  The last cruise was from Reykjavik, Iceland.  We didn't see any sign that they were enforcing arrival times.

I've had it happen in Vancouver once, but I've sailed out of Vancouver and had it not enforced as well. 

It seemed to read like boilerplate wordings and language used by NCL, we received emails from NCL several days prior to our embarkation earlier this year ... 

We have important information regarding embarkation for your upcoming sailing on board Norwegian Prima on April 27, 2024. Travel Partners are asked to share the below information with impacted guests.

Due to global maritime regulations, as well as whale zone speed restrictions enroute from Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic to New York City, Norwegian Prima's arrival into New York City on April 27, 2024 has been delayed by two hours. As such, the ship will arrive in New York City at 10:00 a.m. Therefore, the ship is now scheduled to depart New York City for your sailing at 6:00 p.m. local time on April 27, 2024. Embarkation will take place from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

For your convenience, we have adjusted check-in times to align with the updated departure time, and Online Check-in will be available at 21 days prior to sailing and up to 3 days before the cruise embarkation date; allowing you the opportunity to select your preferred arrival time. To access your online check-in, log in to your MyNCL account at www.ncl.com.

In order to avoid congestion at the port, and to ensure the smoothest embarkation experience possible, all guests are asked to arrive at the port at the arrival time selected during online check-in. Please note, any guest that arrives prior to 12:00 p.m. may be turned away.

BUT, pier arrival & check-in time was NOT enforced and the shore-based security doing the screening wasn't turning anybody away.  However, security did not open until 11:30 AM resulting in a massive backlog and overflowing passengers spilled outside.  Even Haven guests didn't get to "early" board the ship until past 1:30 PM herded together in large group.  

That was NYC, of course, YMMV.  

We typically grab the earliest arrival time…then arrive earlier than that, by at least 30 minutes.  We don’t mind waiting and are happy to wait for our scheduled arrival time in the designated area.

then at the scheduled arrival, I want to be moving to the security, and the check in and getting my group number. Then I don’t mind waiting again.  Both hubby and I carry a copy of the edocs.  So when I’m waiting in line and he runs to get a water, or the restroom or whatever. He has no problem getting back into the right line and joining up with me.  But he also often waits until we have our key cards before doing any of that.

I ram h🐏 no this may be port specific.  Some ports, especially abroad have limited seating areas so overcrowding is a hazard.   We have 32 NCL cruises under our belt and have never been denied entry as we approached the lime' maybe that was because of status but in NCL lines I don’t recall eopele being restricted except in Dover and the older Shouthamptonmpiee.