Cruising with a CPAP machine

FauxNom

Oh joy - I started using a CPAP machine this summer and I suppose it should go along on a cruise I'm taking in September. If you've had experience with this, please give me some advice!

*Does Silversea provide distilled water?

*Do you take along an extension cord or can one rely on the newer ships (Nova, in my case) having outlets near the bed?

*Do you have a travel-sized machine or do you lug around the standard model?

*On shorter cruises, do you leave the machine home? How does that go?

Thank you in advance!

I should add that that I was on the Muse and outlet was by the bed. I don't recall if I needed an extension cord on the older ships.

Can't hurt to bring one along

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kschreib said:

I always take my Air Sense 10. Distilled water is supplied by the butler.

I haven't needed an extension cord.

No problems whatsoever.

Wow thanks! Good  to know. I never would have thought to ask. How does it come ? I mean what size ?  I need it for sinus rinse as well and sometimes it can be a hassle to find. 

On older ships we used to take our own extension cord.  The electrician would check and tag it.  Better than the dirty cords that were seemingly dragged out of the engine room!  Cruise companies usually have a request form to fill out prior to sailing where you can ask for distilled water.  This helps the ship cater for everyone. We would receive a 2 litre bottle.   My husband took his usual CPAP machine.  Modern ones are pretty compact and come with a bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Answers embedded:

2 hours ago, FauxNom said:

Yes - two most recent cruises it's been in a covered carafe that was regularly refilled by the butler.

*Do you take along an extension cord or can one rely on the newer ships (Nova, in my case) having outlets near the bed?

I ALWAYS take an extension cord, just in case.  Also, in case it is needed in any hotels along the way (which often don't have convenient extra outlets near the bed.  Also, on SS, you may not have a power outlet on your side of the bed - some ships have them only on one side.

The difference between the "travel size" and regular isn't that great anymore, especially if you want a travel machine with humidifier.  Remember that the CPAP does not count against your carry-on allowance on almost all airlines.  Just label it as a medical device with a tag.

Nope.  Why put yourself through more difficult sleep if you don't have to?  And also run risks of hurting your overall health through poor breathing (and potentially a fatal apnea).

• Thanks 1

Distilled water was provided and replenished by the butler without asking.  I called guest services before the cruise to order it.  No issues at all.

• Thanks 1

The advice you received was the same as I experienced and I also purchased a longer cord that connects to my CPAP that I use for traveling. It is a 15 foot cord that connects to the power supply of the CPAP machine so that an extension cord is not needed most of the time. Cost was $12 on Amazon and I would be happy to point you in the right direction if desired.

• Thanks 1

On 8/4/2024 at 9:48 AM, FauxNom said:

Oh joy - I started using a CPAP machine this summer and I suppose it should go along on a cruise I'm taking in September. If you've had experience with this, please give me some advice!

Thank you in advance!

The basic rule is that if you have OSA, you should always  take your CPAP with you wherever you go.  SS makes it easy to do so.

And don't put it in checked luggage when you fly -- it should go in the overhead compartment or under your seat in hand luggage (along with important meds).

The bottomline is you have sleep apnea significant enough for you to have been issued CPAP, doctors typically advise you should use it *every night* because your oxygen level in your blood typically periodically drops (especially if you have moderate or severe disease, but also with mild obstructive apnea with significant desaturations).  Untreated OSA can contribute to fatigue during the day (who needs that on a cruise?) as well as cumulative damage to heart and lungs and enhanced diabetes and stroke risk.

There is no proof that a few nights of non-use are going to give you a stroke, but why risk fatigue and other long-term problems?

But make sure that before your cruise (and just in general) your settings have been checked and optimized , i.e., once you have been using it for a few months, your doctor should/will recheck and test if the unit with your current setting is doing what it is supposed to do and all adjustments needed are stable. 

Talk to your doctor about a recheck while using CPAP ( maybe already set up) and read about OSA online.

And have a wonderful trip in September!

Thank you @Catlover54  I'm eager to have my doctor check for needed adjustments but appointment wait times here are laughable. So I just have to trust that the treatment is helping; I never felt particularly fatigued during the day so I don't see a big change. It's the health risks that scared me into submission 🙂  I appreciate all your specific advice!

I would ask Silversea ahead of time for an extension cord as well as your distilled water, just in case. If you look under the FAQs under "What items are prohibited onboard?", they list:

• Electrical extension cords, including power strips and/or surge protected strips

The extension cord they provided on Silver Whisper was clean, and the butler refilled the distilled water as needed. We did need the extension cord on that smaller older ship.

• Thanks 1

DH cruises with CPAP.  We usually cruise NCL and they provide Distilled Water and extension cord.  

Taking our first MSC cruise next month.  Staying in MSC Yacht Club.  Two different Customer SErvice agents say we have to bring our own distilled water. So I wrote to customer service manager asking about it, since NCL and so many others provide it.  

If anyone has any experience with MSC and CPAP, would love to get your insight! 

18 hours ago, suzieq2cruise said:

DH cruises with CPAP.  We usually cruise NCL and they provide Distilled Water and extension cord.  

Taking our first MSC cruise next month.  Staying in MSC Yacht Club.  Two different Customer SErvice agents say we have to bring our own distilled water. So I wrote to customer service manager asking about it, since NCL and so many others provide it.  

As this is the Silversea thread, you are more likely to find answers over on the MSC thread.

Posted (edited)

Since the ships have desalination plants or Reverse Osmosis systems on board, I am assuming all the potable water through the fresh water pipes is already "distilled".  Isn't distilled water nothing more than R/O water, since the final product is pure water with nothing else in it?  I am bringing my CPAP as well but was not all that concerned about using the "tap" water for it.

For example, I have an inexpensive R/O system in my kitchen with a separate tap and I have used this water in my CPAP for over 5 years.

Or do the ships take on fresh water at the various ports they call on?  Which could potentially be problematic based on the source, I would think.

Edited by HoboBob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HoboBob said:

Since the ships have desalination plants or Reverse Osmosis systems on board, I am assuming all the potable water through the fresh water pipes is already "distilled".  Isn't distilled water nothing more than R/O water, since the final product is pure water with nothing else in it?  I am bringing my CPAP as well but was not all that concerned about using the "tap" water for it.

For example, I have an inexpensive R/O system in my kitchen with a separate tap and I have used this water in my CPAP for over 5 years.

Or do the ships take on fresh water at the various ports they call on?  Which could potentially be problematic based on the source, I would think.

While hanging over the balcony in port, I have seen a hose marked “drinking water” connected to the shiip on occasion.  You wouldn’t know where this might happen, so I would err on the side of caution.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2024 at 2:19 PM, suzieq2cruise said:

I was on a MSC Yacht Club sailing in July. They did not provide a bottle of distilled water but they did fill my CPAP water reservoir daily with distilled water. It worked out fine. 

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, HoboBob said:

The ship's tap water, at least the ones that I have sailed on, is not great for use in a CPAP water reservoir. I use a RO/DI system at home for my reef fish tank and that water is great for my CPAP machine. When using tap water in a CPAP, I suggest rinsing the water container rather than topping it up so the dissolved solids do not get concentrated. Also, it may be beneficial to boil the water before use depending upon where you are getting the water from. Another solution is to turn off the humidification system on the CPAP machine and leave the water container empty. I turn the humidification system off when flying because the heater may draw more power than the airline outlet allows but I usually add water to give some humidity.

To be clear, drinkable tap water is fine but the downside is more mineral build up and the reservoir will require more cleaning. FWIW, when I travel I bring along extra tubing, power supply, and head gear just in case I need it. 

Edited by billc23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, billc23 said:

I turn the humidification system off when flying because the heater may draw more power than the airline outlet allows but I usually add water to give some humidity.

You do know that operation of a CPAP machine on many airlines requires approval from the carrier?  They often explicitly prohibit use of airline power for medical devices.

And each carrier may have separate rules, as well as different procedures for the necessary paperwork.

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

You do know that operation of a CPAP machine on many airlines requires approval from the carrier?  They often explicitly prohibit use of airline power for medical devices.

And each carrier may have separate rules, as well as different procedures for the necessary paperwork.

Yes, I do. I am compliant with the rules and some will only allow use with a battery supply. One concern is a power disruption during the flight leading to sever obstruction. AA does not require advance notice while United does. Delta requires battery operation. Different rules for US flight vs International flights. Alway best to check with the airlines ahead of time particularly if one requires a VPAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, billc23 said:

Yes, I do. I am compliant with the rules and some will only allow use with a battery supply. One concern is a power disruption during the flight leading to sever obstruction. AA does not require advance notice while United does. Delta requires battery operation. Different rules for US flight vs International flights. Alway best to check with the airlines ahead of time particularly if one requires a VPAP.

Glad to hear.  And thanks for confirming, so that other folks are aware of this situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess in-flight use will never be a problem since I can't manage to sleep on planes 😂

Interesting points about the drinking water on Silversea ships. I think it tastes pretty bad so it doesn't strike me as something I'd want to breathe all night. But maybe it is actually distilled in a technical sense. I'll ask for the distilled water from my butler, in any event.