Can I join the ship mid-itinerary?

I have a horrible situation to deal with.  We are scheduled to go on a special 50th anniversary cruise to Bermuda, with all our children and their families for whom we have paid.  We've all been SO looking forward to this for a long time.

My mom, (97!!) who was diagnosed with terminal cancer TWO AND HALF YEARS AGO is now looking like she could be experiencing end stage.  But then again, she's been like this for two years.  After the first year of not booking any trips at all "just in case", we started traveling again because we aren't getting any younger and our own health is changing slightly. (Long story, not important) so we booked this very important trip with hopes, just like all the others we had to book far in advance.

If she suddenly changes and the end appears imminent, I told my family that I will stay and they should all go (including my spouse), as there is nothing anybody could do.  We all pretty much say our "goodbyes" every time we leave her, she has said to me in no uncertain terms that I should go on this trip regardless of her condition, every arrangement has already been made and is ready to be executed by the retirement home she is in, so my presence would not be  needed.  But still...

My question is... if she does pass early in the week, can I still fly to Bermuda and join up with the ship there? Would that not be allowed since I had not been on the ship the first day?

Please don't flame me.  Unless you have been in these shoes, you have no idea what kind of mental torture I am experiencing.  I'm trying to figure out every single option there is.  

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Birdnutty said:

I have a horrible situation to deal with.  We are scheduled to go on a special 50th anniversary cruise to Bermuda, with all our children and their families for whom we have paid.  We've all been SO looking forward to this for a long time.

My mom, (97!!) who was diagnosed with terminal cancer TWO AND HALF YEARS AGO is now looking like she could be experiencing end stage.  But then again, she's been like this for two years.  After the first year of not booking any trips at all "just in case", we started traveling again because we aren't getting any younger and our own health is changing slightly. (Long story, not important) so we booked this very important trip with hopes, just like all the others we had to book far in advance.

If she suddenly changes and the end appears imminent, I told my family that I will stay and they should all go (including my spouse), as there is nothing anybody could do.  We all pretty much say our "goodbyes" every time we leave her, she has said to me in no uncertain terms that I should go on this trip regardless of her condition, every arrangement has already been made and is ready to be executed by the retirement home she is in, so my presence would not be  needed.  But still...

My question is... if she does pass early in the week, can I still fly to Bermuda and join up with the ship there? Would that not be allowed since I had not been on the ship the first day?

Please don't flame me.  Unless you have been in these shoes, you have no idea what kind of mental torture I am experiencing.  I'm trying to figure out every single option there is.  

Similar situation with my wife's parents and mine. Is a funeral planned for your mother? I only asked because both my wife's parents and mine were / going to be cremated and have a small service at a later date. For the last 8 years travel and vacation have been a little iffy. We finally decided that everything was in place and if someone died while we were away their was nothing we could do and we would continue on with our plans. Sounds cold but thats life. My FIL was diagnosed with terminal cancer, they gave him 3-4 months. He lived another 3 years. 

My point is they are going to pass and the timing might not be great. Just try to have plans in place when they do and go and enjoy your life.

I don't know if you can join the cruise mid way thru. Go on the cruise and enjoy yourself, if she passes they can hold her until you get back.

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 1

We feel your pain. Mrs. IA's mother is 93 and every trip we take includes a question mark. I don't think you can join mid-cruise. I do hope you have travel insurance. Best of luck to you.

1 hour ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom.

The best thing to do would be to speak with NCL.  

I’m sorry you are going through this but as Barb said only NCL can answer your question

Sorry to hear about your situation. My mother had terminal cancer back in 2016, we had a 14 day cruise planned for that fall. Towards the start of the cruise she took a dive I didn't think of trying to join the cruise later, luckily she hung on until just after Christmas. 

As far as joining the cruise mid stream. You do need to arrange this with NCL to make sure all the customs issues are taken care of.