New to NCL booking questions

Hey gang,

The family and I are veteran cruisers but looking at NCL for the 1st time.  When looking online to book the website shows "free at sea package" to add the unlimited drinks it adds over $400 to the cruise price. My wife and I don't drink so I saw how we can eliminate that and save the money.  Would I be correct that there will be some sort of drink package that includes just soda for a much lower price than $400???

Second question is regarding the Specialty Dining add on.  It states save up to $180 and adds only $40 to the booking.  We would for sure be interested in that.  Can any of you NCL veterans explain that a bit more to me? Do we get to pick like 2 or 3 specialty restaurants for that price? is it just a discount when we eat at the specialty restaurant?? 

We are looking at "Club Balcony Suite with larger balcony" only spot it is available on the Escape are up front of the ship on Deck 8.  Does anyone have experience with this area regarding noise etc?

Looking forward to a nice change of scenery with NCL coming from Royal, Carnival etc.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Free At Sea beverage package is "free" BUT you pay the gratuities.  You can decline it on the screen that shows all of the charges.  On the left side of the screen down a bit, it lists the four FAS items and you can take the checkmark off the beverage package.  

There are other beverage packages that you can pay for.  Not all of them include the canned or boxed water so check that.  You will see those after you book the cruise and can purchase them any time before the cruise.

The specialty dining are two free meals each.  You are not supposed to go to the same restaurant twice, but I think some people have.  The meals are "free" - just let them know you are using a Free At Sea meal.  They should let you know (or you can ask) what is included.  It is generally one or two appetizer / salad, ONE entree, maybe one or two sides, ONE dessert (each of course if you are both using one of your Free At Sea meals).  Teppanyaki, it covers the meal as served, but not any beverages other than water.

I recommend trying to book the restaurants as soon as they become available.  I think for new cruises that might be 120 days from cruise but not positive.

Note that a Club Balcony Suite is NOT really a suite so it doesn't come with the suite benefits (special dining area, butler, etc, etc).

Edited by DorothyB
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, HodgeNNicole said:

Would I be correct that there will be some sort of drink package that includes just soda for a much lower price than $400???

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/790164_BEV_PackageFlyer_UOBP_PPBP_Update070324.pdf

Look towards the bottom for the Water Package, Soda Package. and the Starbucks Package. You cannot get them with FAS but with the savings from not selecting the PBP promo, you can buy a non-alcohol package. 

Second question is regarding the Specialty Dining add on.  It states save up to $180 and adds only $40 to the booking.  We would for sure be interested in that.  Can any of you NCL veterans explain that a bit more to me? Do we get to pick like 2 or 3 specialty restaurants for that price? is it just a discount when we eat at the specialty restaurant?? 

Specialty Dining Packages (SDP) are available online for pre-sale or onboard during the first two days of the voyage. SDP is not available on 1 and 2-day sailings; On 3-day sailings, SDP is for sale on day 1 only. No refunds available if not all meals are used. SDPs are personal (per person, e.g., 2 guests cannot share 1 SDP meal) and non-transferable (guests cannot give their SDP meals to someone else). An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). No sharing or to go orders permitted. SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges. A 20% gratuity and specialty service charge will be added to the package price. No SDP kids pricing available.  - Terms and Conditions

ARE ANY MENU ITEMS EXCLUDED FROM SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGES?

All Specialty Restaurant menu items are included except Seafood Platter in Raw Bar.

An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items). SDP does not include beverages and additional and/or premium menu items will incur charges.

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty Dining Packages are honored in the following restaurants: Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Moderno Churrascaria, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Seafood, Sushi and Teppanyaki.

Guests may also dine in select entertainment-based restaurants using their SDP meal. - FAQ

We are looking at "Club Balcony Suite with larger balcony" only spot it is available on the Escape are up front of the ship on Deck 8.  Does anyone have experience with this area regarding noise etc?

IMG-1272-Copy.jpg

Those staterooms on deck 8 have a large balcony and have a good view straight down to the water. About 1/4 of the balcony is covered but about 3/4 of the balcony can be seen from above. Most people seem to enjoy them for the extra balcony space. Club Balcony Suites have some minor benefits but they aren't actual "suites" as far as worthwhile amenities. 

"Club Balcony Suites provide additional amenities and privileges at no additional cost. Amenities include the option to pre-book onboard entertainment as early as 21 days and dining as early as 125 days prior to sail date, complimentary treats delivered to your stateroom, a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine, and a choice of one valet laundry or pressing service." - NCL

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Club Balcony Suites have some minor benefits but they aren't actual "suites" as far as worthwhile amenities.

There's no club either. We like the Club Balcony Suite because, besides being a bit larger, the bathroom is bigger and much nicer. That's worth the price to us.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DorothyB said:

The specialty dining are two free meals each.  You are not supposed to go to the same restaurant twice, but I think some people have.  

That restriction is only for Latitude rewards dinners. Not for FreeAtSea. (Not even sure if it's enforced for Latitude dinners, but don't know)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, puppyluv1 said:

Does your reservation online show the date on which you can make dinner and excursion reservations based on your cabin category?

No, the date it shows is 120 days out, regardless of when you can actually book.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HodgeNNicole said:

We often stay in these cabins. Excellent location (close to the public areas on deck 8). I have seen a few comments on these boards from people saying that they heard noise from the theatre, but we have never once heard anything.

I have a cruise booked on the Norwegian star on 15 February From Buenos Aeries, which docks in Ushuaia on 28 February at 8am.  It looks like it remains in port until 1 March with official disembarkation on 1 March.

I know usually its a big deal when you leave a cruise ship early, but has anyone had any experience when the last night is in the same port?  I have a flight to Buenos Aeries booked for the evening and ideally would like to do a day trip from Ushuaia, have dinner onboard then leave to the airport for our 22.30 flight.  How do Norwegian handle such situations, I'd imagine were not the only ones who might want to leave the day earlier

The $40 for the specialty add on is $20 for an upfront tip for 2 restaurants. With that, you do not have to tip when there, but many still do.

You do not have to tip anywhere while on board, although many do at the bars, which it sounds like you won't be using much. Bars will provide sodas and water, and most have tables near by for relaxing. Many people who are not drinking use them.

Deck 8 is the Waterfront which is 2/3 wrap around aft of the cabins you are considering. We love this area, it makes NCL large ships different than other lines.

The only negative on deck 8 cabins is that some people feel like they are on display, since they are larger and can be viewed from above.

3 hours ago, englisha said:

I have a cruise booked on the Norwegian star on 15 February From Buenos Aeries, which docks in Ushuaia on 28 February at 8am.  It looks like it remains in port until 1 March with official disembarkation on 1 March.

I know usually its a big deal when you leave a cruise ship early, but has anyone had any experience when the last night is in the same port?  I have a flight to Buenos Aeries booked for the evening and ideally would like to do a day trip from Ushuaia, have dinner onboard then leave to the airport for our 22.30 flight.  How do Norwegian handle such situations, I'd imagine were not the only ones who might want to leave the day earlier

call Ncl direct, or your travel agent and discuss the issue with them.  You might have to get special clearance, so that way they know you are already off the ship when it comes time to disembark

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, englisha said:

I had an overnight in NY before debarkation. We were allowed to debark the day before, but not at any time we wanted. They arranged for formalities to be done at so-and-so time, and once done it was not allowed to go back to the ship. 
I don't know if this is "normal" procedures. And what is normal procedures might vary between ports/countries. So the only way to be sure is by contacting NCL. And even after doing that, take it up with ship staff.

Edited by Asawi

On 8/8/2024 at 7:30 AM, Asawi said:

I had an overnight in NY before debarkation. We were allowed to debark the day before, but not at any time we wanted. They arranged for formalities to be done at so-and-so time, and once done it was not allowed to go back to the ship. 
I don't know if this is "normal" procedures. And what is normal procedures might vary between ports/countries. So the only way to be sure is by contacting NCL. And even after doing that, take it up with ship staff.

Same procedure with an overnight in Sydney. You could disembark at a specific time in the morning, you could not return. 

• Like 1