Saint Greg's Jewels - Live - August 12, 2024

@Saint Greg a couple times you mentioned the internet was down and you were using AT&T.  Was that while you were in port, or does the ship sail close enough to shore to be connected to a tower?  I am doing Alaska next may and am curious.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

@Saint Greg a couple times you mentioned the internet was down and you were using AT&T.  Was that while you were in port, or does the ship sail close enough to shore to be connected to a tower?  I am doing Alaska next may and am curious.

In port. I lose ATT at night after sail away.

• Like 4

Question about pier locations. From my research, it seems that NCL does not get the best positions. Have you found that to be true? How did it compare to your Carnival Alaskan cruise (or just observation of the other cruise lines)? Do you think that impacts the port call much? Thanks!

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Ou

55 minutes ago, HxFx said:

Question about pier locations. From my research, it seems that NCL does not get the best positions. Have you found that to be true? How did it compare to your Carnival Alaskan cruise (or just observation of the other cruise lines)? Do you think that impacts the port call much? Thanks!

I think that’s right to some extent.

Here I think it’s interchangeable because the Carnival ship is where Jewel was last year and Sun is where Carnival was.

Icy strait it seems like the larger NCL ship is always on the back dock. My ships Jewel and Splendor have been the in the front spot all three times.

Juneau Carnival was right down town and we had that shuttle ride both years.

In Ketchikan NCL is in ward cove which is like a 15 minute shuttle to town. Now there’s something to be said about ward cove if you like nature. A lot of eagles there. That’s where my eagle tour was. Also near the totem pole museum thing. But I think most people would prefer downtown.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HxFx said:

I'm curious about this too. When I was in Alaska a couple summers ago on Carnival Miracle, there was more than one port (I know Juneau was one, I think Ketchikan was the other) where we were docked with other ships in the middle of town and there was a NCL ship way out somewhere we couldn't see shuttling people in... and it wasn't just a NCL thing, because one port Encore was in the city center with us but Jewel was nowhere to be seen....

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Ou

I think that’s right to some extent.

Here I think it’s interchangeable because the Carnival ship is where Jewel was last year and Sun is where Carnival was.

Icy strait it seems like the larger NCL ship is always on the back dock. My ships Jewel and Splendor have been the in the front spot all three times.

Juneau Carnival was right down town and we had that shuttle ride both years.

In Ketchikan NCL is in ward cove which is like a 15 minute shuttle to town. Now there’s something to be said about ward cove if you like nature. A lot of eagles there. That’s where my eagle tour was. Also near the totem pole museum thing. But I think most people would prefer downtown.

Wait no. I think spirit is in the same spot it was last year. We were on this other side where Princess is. Which I think is the best spot for boarding the train because it was right there. Everyone walked to it.

IMG_5074.thumb.jpeg.6f1bf376428da6bd57dcb8fdd45c43d9.jpeg

Spirit has the best spot for walking to town or back from the train

IMG_5075.thumb.jpeg.f345ab8d81e50ffdf142dbb916be67e5.jpeg

• Like 6