Question for diabetics who wear the Dexcom glucose monitor: regarding medallion---

Jetswdo

I haven't sailed on Princess since the medallion class started.  My cruise is in Sept---   I wear the Dexcom monitor ---  I just read that for persons that have a pacemaker, they should not use a lanyard to wear the medallion.  Does this apply as well to the glucose monitors ?- including free style libre, I guess---

Had I not read about interference with pacemakers, I never would have thought about this.  So if any of you do wear the Dexcom on medallion class, have you had any problems?  thanks for any info.  Anita

Hi, I am not an expert in this, so full disclosure. But, pacemakers are very sensitive devices, given they are connected to your heart and such. They recommend not wearing the medallion around the neck for people with pacemakers because it has a tiny magnet in it.

CGMs such as the Dexcom on the other hand, are not as susceptible to interference from magnets and operate on bluetooth, which is safe.

99% confident your medallion won't interfere with your Dexcom, unless you're wearing your CGM on your neck, which I think is unlikely as they typically get placed elsewhere.

If you're worried, you can get a wrist band to put your medallion in and wear it like a watch. 🙂

Thanks for your reply-- I called up Dexcom and of course couldn't get a straight answer.  The patch is worn on my arm---- I was told medallion may or may not mess up the Dexcom patch, and to have plenty of the finger lancets and monitor that goes with that as back up (which I would do any way)   The actual monitor is not through my phone, as it isn't compatible, so I carry the monitor in a little pouch on my person. I've had no problem going through xray (I have the attendants do a hand search with the monitor itself, I've even had a Ct scan which did not interfere with the patch on my arm at all. But if I hear from people that Dexcom patch has been messed up while wearing a Princess medallion, then I would probably just not use at all on the cruise (I'll be gone for 21 days altogether)  and be "stuck," pun intended, using the old fashioned (ouch) lancets.

My partner is diabetic, though type 2 so no need to wear a CGM.

I would say it's best to be safe than sorry. You can get a cruise cabin card to use, instead of the medallion. That way you can continue to use your CGM. 🙂

I would hate that thing on an exposed and sensitive area, on my arm.

I know those who wear it on either side of the lower belly.

They had no problem on Princess with the Medallion.  (at least not one that was noticed)

Even a swimsuit covers it.   (well, unless it is an 'itsy bitsy teeny weeny...)

I wouldn't be wearing one of those!

I am type 2--- My patch is on top of my arm- my shirt covers it-  it isn't a big deal, and sure beats having to ***** my fingers 3 times a day.  But that isn't the point of my question---

Can I get on board, the regular sea card- even though I will have my medallion at hand? Do people do this any way?

Yep, there's loads of people who opt to get a card instead of using the medallion. You would want to stop by customer service after boarding to get the card. 🙂

Never had any problem whatsoever with Dexcom nor Freestyle Libre back when my insurance would cover it, so have worn both while cruising with no issues at all.

• Like 2

For those concerned about wearing the medallion with a pacemaker -- my husband checked with Medtronics (the brand he has) and they said as long as it was 6 inches away from the ICD there was NO problem! The lanyard was definitely longer than that. Check with your cardiologist or device manufacturer for their recommendation.

The only things he was told he could absolutely NOT do with having the pacemaker was work on a car engine while it was running or use an arc welder 😁

• Like 1

Hi, I am T1 and wear a Medtronic Pump with CGM and app on my phone.

I have never had a problem with my medallion (I usually wear mine on a wrist strap).

Hope this helps.

Stuart.

• Like 1

My husband is type 2, has worn a dexcom cgm for a few years. Did wear the g6, now the g7. He wears his medallion on a lanyard around his neck & has never had a problem. 

• Like 1